Pages

Friday, November 28, 2014

This And That

 
 
Yeah, its a little late today, but I have some days off from the mighty RM as I have some things going on. The fact it coincided with American Thanksgiving meaning a solid weekend of football was a big factor in scheduling what needed to get done, but hey that's OK!
 
 
While watching the Turkey day games south of the border, I am keeping my eyes glued on what is happening north of the border in Vancouver as well so without further adieu, here are some thoughts running through my muddled mind as we get ready to enjoy Grey Cup weekend and as always they come in no particular order.
 
 
 
--Sounded like Rod Pedersen and Luc Mullinder were having a good time doing Saskatchewan's #1 sports show---the Sportscage--from the heart of the action in Vancouver. I turned on my radio yesterday afternoon and heard the Rider pep band doing its thing as Commissioner Marc Cohon paid a visit. I'm guessing the boys will have another solid two and a half hours of programming today.
 
 
--Who is going to replace Cohon? I have no idea. Can they find someone as charismatic as him? Can they find someone who will relate with the fans as well as he can? Yes, there is much more to the job than being charismatic, but despite some negatives that have surfaced near the end of his tenureship, Cohon has done more good for this league than bad. He will hold his state of the league address with fans today in Vancouver as well as doing his thing with the media this morning. The bit with the fans last year at the Delta was my favourite part of Grey Cup week leading up to the game. I learned more from his chat with the fans than I did with the media chat. Cohon and the entire program was much less formal. I hope his successor keeps this tradition up.
 
 
--Congrats to Riders president and CEO Jim Hopson for being recognized by the CFL for his  years of work with the football team and the league.  There's no secret here how much respect I have for Hoppy and what he has done for this organization.  There are many things he has done as well that aren't publicized to raise the profile of the football club. I'll miss seeing him on the sidelines and wherever next year.
 
 
--To the game itself and I think this year's game either has a Calgary blowout or a tight Hamilton win attached to it in my mind. On paper, Calgary should destroy the Tabbies with ideal field conditions and weather, but we don't play the game on paper as we all know. I will be very interested in seeing how both quarterbacks handle their first championship game, but in the end, I see the X factor being Ti-Cats running back Nic Grigsby. If he can allow Collaros to have a manageable distance on second down, I see Hamilton keeping it close. I don't see that Ti-Cats defence being able to consistenly stop Cornish who will get 100  yards.  The chess game between Hufnagel and Austin will be great. In the end, I see Calgary winning this one 31-20.  If that is the case, I won't be happy for the ever-cocky Stamps, but it will be nice to see Brett Jones and Marc Mueller with GC rings on their fingers.
 
 
--Congrats to Rams receiver Addison Richards who is off to the East-West Shrine Bowl. He will get to show his stuff to American coaches and scouts at the game in St. Petersburg, Florida in January. Could it get "Addy" an NFL invite somewhere? I think its safe to say he has caught his last pass in a Rams uniform.
 
 
--How about the Seahawks last night!! DOMINATION!!!! Colin Kaepernick learned again you don't mess with Richard Sherman!  One has to wonder seeing how Kaepernick has regressed this year if the Niners will look at switching things up next year. It seems to me as if defences have figured out Colin.
 
 
--Week 13 (or what's left of it) NFL Lock of the Week  ----Steelers over Saints
   Week 13 NFL Upset of the Week  ---Vikings over Panthers
 
 
--Did even the most optimistic Raptors fan see this start coming? They look great!  Speaking of great looking basketball teams, the Cougar men and women play Brandon tonight and tomorrow starting at 6 both nights. Get down to the CKHS and enjoy some great University basketball.
 
 
--We almost got to the first of December with no real snow. I guess I'll take that. Sounds like it will be a nasty weekend weatherwise so stay safe. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word on the street is Sportscage truly is Sask's number 1 sports show.

Anonymous said...

A lot of guys on that Hamilton team were in Regina last year. I think they beat the Waaaahhhpeders

Anonymous said...

Nothing against old Solomon, but I thought Chick had a better year. Number 97 got screwed if ya ask me.

Anonymous said...

We've topped out. We've now seen the ultimate in 'Green thinking'.
"Number 97 got screwed"

Anonymous said...

Chick had an excellent year, but anyone with half a brain about football knows that Solomon's performance was off the charts and he was the CFL's top player in 2014. I hope next year Chick can get over 20 sacks and take a good run at Solomon for top player.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Mitch but the Vikings are anywhere from a 1 point ot a 3 point favorite this weekend. Pick another upset. How about Falcons over Cardinals?

Anonymous said...

Calgary wins big.

Anonymous said...

Why aren't you in Vancouver with Roddy? If the Harvard budget can allow you and Ricci to do whatever on the road, so can you and RP!

Anonymous said...

Seahawks look like they are back in Super Bowl form!

Anonymous said...

Don't know what line you are looking at, but I've seen two lines today indicating Carolina a 1.5 and 2.5 point winner. I'm staying away from that game and the Arizona-Atlanta game. If you want an upset, take the Chargers over the Crows

Anonymous said...

Elimimian deserved both, but I still think Foley should have been top Canadian over Cornhole!

Anonymous said...

you are confused and have green goggles on.

Anonymous said...

Mitch, you guys kicked the tar outta your former employer in ratings !