Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

This And That





I don't think this will be a long posting as I am off to the Emerald City---Seattle, Washington--for the next few days. The reason for the trip is simple.


Monday Night Football at the mecca that is CenturyLink Field. Rider fans had their Grey Cup on Sunday and I will have mine on Monday as I will sit in the stands and cheer on my team the way you did yours on Sunday.  Its been far too long since I've been to one of my favourite places and I can't wait to get back.  It will be the New Orleans Saints against the Seattle Seahawks with U of R Rams alumni Akiem Hicks on one sideline and Jon Ryan on the other-----in an NFL game! That's definitely a first for the program and perhaps a last. From what I understand, there is quite a Regina contingent going to this tilt. I hope I run into some of them.


Just some thoughts....


  --Did you look at that list of CFL free agents? It is safe to say Rider GM Brendan Taman can't bask in the glory of the win long enough as he has some quality FA's to re-sign. There are a lot of good football players out there and not all will stay with their old squads.


 --There is talk Henry Burris is a one and done in Hamilton. Can you see him with another team going into 2014. I can't unless its Montreal where I'm sure Anthony Calvillo will finally hang them up


--Now that he has won a Grey Cup, can people please start calling Corey Chamblin by his real name and not refer to him as "Chamberlain". That bugs me!


--Speaking of Chamblin, I'm not sure if you caught "Sportscage" on Wednesday, but the coach definitely pulled one over on myself, Rod and I'm guessing many. Rod asked Coach C if he could not tell us what injuries Darian was battling---in particular his ribs.  Chamblin went on to say they shot Darian six times with a needle before the Grey Cup game and he took several needles in his ankle as well during the playoffs before admitting he was joking. By that time, the jaws of both Rod and myself were on the floor with our eyes bulged wide as he confessed to yanking our chain. YIKES!!!


--When Darian left, I wonder if he called the Regina Humane Society to see if anyone turned in that monkey he lost off his back Sunday night. Darian let loose in the locker room after the game about the haters and what they could do. He also said he never ever wants to leave this place and he would die for this team. Admirable traits for a quarterback dont'cha think. 

--One last Durant comment. Take his regular season and add it to his playoffs and look at his numbers. In the history of this football team has a quarterback had better numbers than what he had. I don't think so. This guy was on fire right from night one and while the embers did diminish somewhat in September, the fire burned brightly at the end of the year. 

--Have you bought a champions shirt or hat yet? Guilty as charged although its not the black ones the guys had on after the game. I need to get one of those.

--The Rider fan base has been referred to as "arrogant twerps" by a writer named Malcolm Kelly. I have two words for Mr. Kelly.  Who cares! We are at the top of the ladder now and after years of being the poor kid at the kids table we can now survive on our own. If we can't brag about that a little and the fact we've got a damn good football team than too bad. Methinks there's a little jealousy there. 

--How much coin will I drop at the Seahawks store this weekend?

--The Green Bay Packers are proving how one man can have the fortunes of his squad in his hand. Green Bay fans have to be calling for the return of Aaron Rodgers.

--Week 13 NFL Lock Of The Week ---Seahawks over Saints
   Week 13 NFL Upset Of The Week  ---Bengals over Chargers

--Washington State and Washington are meeting at Husky Stadium Friday afternoon in the game for annual state bragging rights. I wish the game was at night so I could be there. Oh well!

--Has the city ever considered putting some lights up on the Ring Road between south Albert and Assiniboine. Its needed is it not?

--The Pats are home tonight for the first time in a month. They've been playing some good hockey and with football season over its time to start paying them some attention. 

--14 games into the NBA season and the Toronto Raptors lead their division??? Oh wait, they are on top of the Atlantic Division with a 6-8 record---that's better!


--I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Rogers/NHL deal and how TSN just got kicked to the curb. The way we change hockey is going to change my friends. I just hope the suits at Sportsnet realize how bad some of their hockey people are compared to what TSN has and makes changes on both their national and regional levels.

--Could this end up in my good friend Peter Loubardias working at TSN? I'm hoping so.

--Very interesting piece in the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix about the CRTC saying Saskatoon doesn't need a radio station because they have enough. The SP likens the CRTC to Communist Russia. I can't say I disagree. The article says Anchorage, Alaska has 30 stations for a population that is far less than what Saskatoon has. Saskatoon or Regina for that matter doesn't need 30 stations in the marketplace despite the growing population, but how the CRTC can determine yes and no is a little baffling. I think competition is good so I would welcome another couple of stations into the Regina market.

--How could Family Guy kill off Brian? That is like "The Simpsons" getting rid of Lisa. I don't like it!

--OK this was longer than I thought it would be. 

--Talk to you next week! GO SEAHAWKS!!









10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hard for Burris to be "one and done" when he's played two years in Hamilton.

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip Scruffy.

Old Cuss

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Dont be surprised if Hank is in Winnipeg next year.

Anonymous said...

Maze, Butler, Sheets and Dressler are absolute musts. If we don't sign the rest of them, I'm OK with that. Its going to be a real interesting off-season.

peter dalla riva

Anonymous said...

Seattle is a great place. Enjoy yourself Scruffy!

Anonymous said...

If Sheeta and Dressler or any other CFL player joins the NFL, when do they have to do it by? I would like to think the Riders would get these two guys under contract asap but obviously they will drag it out in hopes of getting that shot.

Anonymous said...

The only place I see Burris headed to if Hamilton has no more use for him is Winnipeg.

Anonymous said...

Drinking a Saturday morning Pike Place Market Keurig coffee, wishing I was in Seattle too Scruffy !

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Scruffy about the Ring Road lights, but first the city needs to replace all the burnt out ones along the Ring road currently!

Anonymous said...

I see the biggest problem for vehicles coming off Wascana Parkway trying to merge with heavy Ring Road traffic. The length of access is too short forcing them to merge unsafely.Major cities have a kilometre or more while in Regina its about 20 feet. Thanks to the clods who enter RR at 40K all the vehicles behind them have serious merge problems.TIP enter RR at 100K to match speed of traffic you hope to merge with.