Pages

Thursday, October 18, 2012

This And That

Its the weekly assortment of thoughts running through my mind. Here they are in no particular order...


The New York Yankees are out and once again, money is not buying a championship in the world of baseball. I love it. I keep hoping the Yankees will learn the error of their ways, but I'm sure they are probably going to be in the Josh Hamilton sweepstakes so the answer is no. I just look at those salaries and it makes me laugh. 195 million including 30 mill for A-Rod, 25 for C.C Sabathia, 23 for Mark Teixeira, 15 for Derek Lowe...etc. etc etc and they can't win. It really hurts me!

The A-Rod hate is in full swing. I really can't see him back in pinstripes next season and chances are he will go to Miami or the Dodgers. Hey, maybe even the Mets can make an offer. A-Rod certainly had another bad playoff, but so did Robbie Cano and Curtis Granderson and no one is saying much about their performances. In fact, no one is saying anything about the great pitching Detroit threw at the Yankees. The Tiger pitching staff is not a bunch of Johnny come latelys. They are good and it showed.

Back to A-Rod and his flirting with female fans after he was taken out of Game 1. Tell me he isn't the first player to do that. Hell, didn't some player from the Springfield Isotopes throw a baseball with his hotel room on it to Marge Simpson? If it was Derek Jeter doing it, would anyone have batted an eyelash. The only problem I have with it is why is Rodriguez trying to upgrade. He is currently seeing former WWE diva Torrie Wilson. For those of you who don't know who Wilson is, I present Exhibit A.


-----

Before going to Edmonton, the Riders practiced at Leibel Field. I don't have a son playing in Regina Minor Football so I haven't been to the revamped facility. All I could say upon seeing it was "WOW!!!!" I then had to ask the question as to why the University of Regina Rams and Regina Thunder don't use Leibel for their home games instead of Mosaic Stadium where it looks virtually empty. I would think the atmosphere at Leibel would be fantastic. I am sure there are many reasons as to why it can't be done, but should both teams be investigating a way to make it happen perhaps as early as next year. It would greatly benefit both programs I think.

------

Its a shame to see that Marc Mueller's final season with the Rams has been disrupted by injury. Mueller will sit out tonight's big game against first place Calgary because of a shoulder injury suffered earlier this month against Manitoba. The only way the Rams will have a shot at winning Canada West and perhaps the Vanier is by having Mueller at 100 percent, but to see someone of his talent sit when his university and basically football career is down to its final few days is sad. Tonight's game against the Dinos will be live on Access starting at 7. I'll have the play-by-play with former Rams receiver and current Football Sask muckety-muck Mike Thomas doing colour.

-----
Nice story in the Leader-Post by Craig Slater on the RMF team coached by my Locker Talk co-host and good friend Pete Paczko. His role with the Unicorns is the reason why he hasn't graced the Access studios with his presence for most of October, but thankfully he will be back for the October 23 taping. I say thankfully because Pete is a much better host of the program than yours truly. However, it was a pleasure to co-host with someone who is just scratching the surface when it comes to talent and ability. You will definitely hear and see the name Arielle Wood on TV in the next few years. She is better now than some of the female talent I see on the tube--both locally and nationally. She knows her sports too which is a huge plus and again puts her ahead of many on the map.
-----
I keep saying it, but he keeps proving me wrong. I keep telling you to go to Mosaic Stadium when the Montreal Alouettes are in town because it could be the last time you see Anthony Calvillo in Regina. At 39, he has to be thinking about hanging it up, but Montreal Gazette Alouettes beat-writer Herb Zurkowsky said on "Sportscage" earlier this week that he wouldn't be surprised to see Calvillo come back even though he is a free agent. It wouldn't surprise me anymore either. I think A-C is even back if the Alouettes were to win it all.
-----
The Evan Fornwald story is drawing a lot of talk. Good for him for getting a chance. Other Canadians at other positions can only dream of it. (see Marc Mueller and other Canadian quarterbacks) I would doubt that he will see any action this year, but who knows. It is the CFL right? The question I have when it comes to Fornwald is he was on a touch football team that had Matt Dominguez, Wes Cates and Lance Frazier on it and they came in 2nd. Who was on the team that finished first???
-----
Any optimism in the NHL lockout was snuffed out as expectedly by Donald Fehr. I said when he came on board as head of the NHLPA as it was not good news for hockey fans and that the man who killed the baseball season in 1995 would help in the destruction of the NHL. His refusal of the 50-50 deal means to me that we won't see hockey this year.
A 50-50 deal seems right to me, but I do agree with Jonathan Toews when he says current contracts need to be upheld. It would seem as if some kind of framework is there, but Fehr's stubborness will likely mean a winter without the NHL. This blogger will try and get by and perhaps have something for you. I'm just trying to figure out the formatics of a tournament featuring Stanley Cup champs from my time on this earth. Details perhaps as early as Monday.
------
Seeing the two sides can't agree on a 50-50 split, perhaps the Regina Pats, the Moose Jaw Warriors and all WHL, SJHL teams can start a 43-57 contest? I wonder how that would go over? How about a 57-43 draw? I'm sure fans wouldn't squawk about that would they?
------
The Seahawks defence is great, but the struggles of rookie quarterback Russell Wilson makes it tough to legitimately call that team a contender. I still think the veteran Matt Flynn should be in there, but when you don't have a game-breaking receiver or receivers, perhaps Flynn would have the same problems as Wilson does. Its frustrating to watch them sputter and all that more great when they break out like they did against New England last Sunday.
-----
The effort put forth by Canada's mens national soccer team in Honduras was absolutely embarassing. A game in which you need a result to keep World Cup dreams alive and you get beat 8-1! I love soccer--especially international soccer, but its time to see Canada either do something about its mens program or just cut it adrift. If we can develop a female team that can win an Olympic medal and be competitive, surely we can field and develop a mens team that is competitive as well. If not, some serious questions need to start getting asked.
-----
I don't think I will ever understand Sportsnet's rationale for giving us a different feed of the baseball playoffs. After having the first round of games come to us via TBS, Sportsnet went to the international feed for the ALCS and did not use the international feed for the NLCS opting to stay with FOX. However, I am guessing the old international feed will be used for the World Series. I'm not really sure why that's done, but come World Series time, I'll be watching FOX and not Sportsnet.
------
TSN showing Slapshot was ludicrous the other night. You can't show that movie when half of it has to be bleeped out. Why TSN why?
-----
BC Lions communications person Jamie Cartmell gets the tweet of the week. After Ryan Phillips and his wife gave birth to a baby boy, Cartmell proclaimed that Phillips' son has just intercepted Darian Durant. BA HA HA HA!!! I think even Darian would laugh at that one.
-----
You always think air is free until you buy a bag of potato chips!
----
Have a great weekend. GO RIDERS!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't the Rams and Thunder play at Leibel? There has to be a good reason for it and I am guessing RMF is one of them. It would be a much better atmosphere. Good luck to the Thunder in Saskatoon this weekend. Beat them damn Hilltops.


Anonymous said...

Here's a better question. Why don't the Rams cough out some $$$ and do something to make their practice field their home. Having their home at the U of R would be tremendous since students at College West could come over and you could get some tailgating going in some of the lots. They have the $$$ so why can't that happen?

Barry

Anonymous said...

I agree with Barry, I have always wondered that too. Saskatoon let's their students into games for free to(so I have been told, correct me if I'm wrong) but I bet if we played on campus the crowds would be that much better

Dustin.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's an urban legend, but the common story is that if the Rams want to keep selling 50/50 tickets at Rider games, they'll keep using (ie: renting) Mosaic Stadium for their home games. Makes sense, actually.

Anonymous said...

Seeing the Yankees lose is great. Their pompous arrogance makes it so refreshing when they lose.


Shawn

Anonymous said...

It might change when the new stadium is built, but the Rams, Thunder and high schools will keep playing at Mosaic. Its a pipedream to think that will ever change.


Patrick


Anonymous said...

Between ARod's girl and the former WWE wrestler that Clooney is going out with, it makes me think I should have been watching years ago. WOWWWW!!!

Anonymous said...

Money isn't buying theYankees the championship but all four teams are in the top 10 in MLB payroll.


Weaver

Anonymous said...

Seahawk D great... I would say disruptive at home and nothing more! San Fran ran at will lastnight, Ne put up almost 500 yds last week... Doesnt sound great too me!