Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

This And That

No one thing in particular, just a bunch of things whirling through the old mind


--The defeat of the Red Wings was devastating for my hockey pool, but a win by the Devils tonight could revive things somewhat seeing I also have Phoenix and Washington players in my pool.

--The racist tweets sent out by Boston Bruins fans towards Joel Ward after his Game 7 overtime winner were simply sickening. You would think the battle against racism is being won until you see that. This comes from upper crust New England. I might understand it a little had it been fans of a team from the south, but Boston?

--Its great to get a little taste of Saskatchewan Roughrider football, but alas after today's practice in Moose Jaw, that's it until training camp.

--There have been many moments that I will always remember as a broadcaster--none bigger than a certain Sunday in November in 2007 at Skydome, but one of my favourite moments was without a doubt this one as I sat on the sidelines for CKRM....



As I said on this blog on the night of that 2010 Western Semi-Final win, I don't think I have ever heard the old girl as loud as it was when that happened. It was not surprising to hear of his retirement this week, but it was disappointing. It was great to have Clermont in the green that he should have been in for years, but he certainly didn't get the career he thought he would have here. He handled himself like a true professional and there is no doubt in my mind that he will get an invite to be a CFL Hall of Famer down the road. He is one of the best and the toughest Canadian receivers that this league has ever seen. Thanks for many great years of football Jason and for leading the way for Regina receivers to make it big in the CFL.

--Mrs. Scruffy is a huge Steve Yzerman fan. She has been since before I met her. She walks past the Hotel Saskatchewan each and every day on her way to work. Imagine her reaction when I told her that Yzerman was staying at the Hotel Sask as he went to Games 3 and 4 of the Edmonton-Moose Jaw series to get a good look at Griffin Reinhart, Morgan Rielly and whoever else. Thankfully, she did not stake out the hotel, but she was disappointed to see the text I received from "The Silver Fox" Kelly Remple saying he was sitting right beside him at last night's Game 4.

--I guess the Edmonton Oil Kings are beatable, but its seemingly far too late for the Warriors now. I just can't see Moose Jaw winning the next three games of the series but that's why you play the game. It took some stones for Warriors coach Mike Stothers to tell regular starter Luke Siemens he would not play in Game 4 with 16 year old Justin Paulic taking his spot for just his 2nd career WHL start. It worked though as the kid gave up just one goal on 29 shots. While looking at the present, Stothers had the sense to look at the future too.

--Word out of Boston this morning is the Bruins want to trade Tim Thomas and go with someone cheaper. No one was saying this---at least publicly--before the playoffs were they? Was Thomas that bad in the Washington series. Yes, he was outperformed by former Blades goalie Braden Holtby, but I don't think you can pin the Bruins loss on him. This means the two goalies that met in Game 7 of last year's Cup final--Luongo and Thomas--are now trade bait. How quick it turns.

--A lot of talk is on Detroit's Nick Lidstrom and if we've seen the last of him as he weighs retirement. That focus will shift to Marty Brodeur tonight if the Devils lose. This will certainly be his last game in a Devils uniform as he becomes a free agent and unless he is willing to sign something short term at a very reasonable price, I can't see him being in New Jersey. I still think though that Brodeur has something in the tank to at least be a backup. I don't think he will call it a career if New Jersey loses tonight.

--26 degrees one day and they are talking for rain/snow this weekend in Regina. Ah yes, that is spring in Saskatchewan. Wait a minute, its supposed to be cold this weekend as my youngest daughter starts playing softball. What a shock!!!

--For some reason, I don't see the Seahawks picking at 11 tonight when their turn comes up in the NFL draft. I see them trading down with a team that really wants someone. I could see Dallas or the Jets being a trade partner. As for what way they should go, it appears as if they are going to try and improve their front 7. I'm OK with that.

--I love the fact that EA Sports allows fans to now choose the cover boy for its Madden and NHL games. Its a connect that is really needed by both.

--Tonight is the last performance in Regina of "Rock of Ages", but it will be in Saskatoon over the weekend. For someone who loves 80's rock like me, this musical is unbelievable. I had heard many glowing reviews about it from people who had seen it before in other locales so I was excited to hear that it was coming here. It didn't disappoint. It was simply awesome and yes, if it ever came again, I would be there in a heartbeat. Go check it out if you can. This isn't from the Regina show, but its a snippet of what you'll see with one of the oh so great songs from the 80's..

15 comments:

Keith said...

I can't see Tim Thomas ending up with a Canadian team, what with all our socialized medicine, crown corporations and the CBC up here.

Anonymous said...

What's the story on Joel Ward. I missed it. Did some fans go overboard in the rink after he scored?

Anonymous said...

It's ironic that those tweets would come from Boston. That's where Willie O'Ree broke the NHL colour barrier back in the 50's.

Anonymous said...

To the guy asking about what happened to Ward after, here ya go. Don't say you haven't been warned. Its absolutely disgusting.

http://deadspin.com/5905356/heres-how-racists-on-twitter-reacted-to-joel-wards-series+winning-goal-against-boston

Anonymous said...

The wife dragged me into going of "Rock of Ages". I obviously had no idea what I was getting into. What a great show!

JN

Anonymous said...

It would never happen, but can you imagine a Thomas-Luongo trade?

Anonymous said...

I think the Tim Thomas rumour has been in the making for quite sometime. As a Bruin fan - I certainly am not shocked. It was only two seasons ago that Tuukka Rask was taking over Tim's job as the number one Bruin's goalie until he got injured - Tim woke up and took his spot back.

Tim is getting paid $5M a year and is 38 years old (how much shelf life does he have left). You may still get something decent for him in a trade because of his recent success. Rask is a restricted free agent this year and I think this is a move to free-up cap money and commit to Rask so he signs with the team. Rask is only 25 and is the future number one goalie for the Bruins.

Moving Tim while he still has some value is a good idea for the B's.

Iron Mike.

Anonymous said...

Clermont deserved better here. He was never really given a chance to show his stuff. I think he would make a great coach some day. Hall of Famer? Absolutely!


Ron

Anonymous said...

I'm going to Rock of Ages tonight. I hope its as good as you've made it out to be.

Anonymous said...

Ward doesn't seem too concerned about what was said. Be like him and let it go.

Clermont was in tough here with the receiving talent, but I still think Old Man Miller could have given him a bigger role. A great career and yes I agree, he should be in the CFL HOF someday.

David

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I can't see Brodeur retiring. Who does NJ have to take the torch from him? I think he's back next year at a much reduced rate.

Anonymous said...

That touchdown might be one of my favourite all time Rider moments and I've been going to games since the early 70's.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I'm sure your wife loves being referred to as "Mrs. Scruffy".

Every little girl's dream.

Mitchell Blair said...

She's given her seal of approval.