Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

This And That

Before I get started today, a picture. A picture that just isn't right. Can you tell me what's wrong with it? You may have to look at it for a few minutes though before you figure it out,



Speaking of pictures that aren't right. Vancouver and Pittsburgh fans are feeling a little better this morning knowing their teams did not get swept out of the first round of the Stanley Cup finals. What the heck was that in Philadelphia? The Flyers had the chance to complete what would have been a major four game upset, but all they did was hand the momentum right back to the Penguins. I don't think its surprising that Pittsburgh won when you consider the talent on that team that likely regrouped a little after Sunday's embarassment, but winning 10-3 sent a definite message. I think this series might be headed back to Philadelphia. 

How would you feel if the Penguins scored 10 goals and the only Penguin you had in your playoff pool was James Neal. DOHHHHHHH!!! Sadly, I don't have any Penguins or Flyers in my pool. For the time being that is the last we will speak of that.

Is it true that Peter Laviolette is approaching Philly's team in the National Lacrosse League to see if the Flyers can borrow their goalie for Game 5 and beyond?

The Vancouver Canucks are still alive, but I can't see them coming back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Los Angeles Kings. The Canucks were bolstered by the fact Daniel Sedin was back as they beat the Kings 3-1. The story in this one was that in a must-win game. Vancouver opted to go with Cory Schneider and not Roberto Luongo. I have to think barring injury Luongo has stopped his last shot in "The Coov". There is no way Alain Vigneault can go back to Luongo for Game 5 after Schneider kept the season alive. If he does go back to Luongo and he fails, it all but assures that the next time he steps onto Rogers Arena ice it will be as a member of whoever. I can't help but wonder if Brian Burke spent the night working on a trade offer and had it on Mike Gillis' desk before Game 4 was over. In all seriousness, I don't know who could take on Luongo's mammoth contract in this salary cap world. I thought I heard the two Florida teams could be in play, but how can Tampa when they have Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos and Hedman tied up with deals. 

If the Penguins and Canucks do go out, what one is the bigger surprise to you?

I tried the Coors Light Iced Tea the other night. All I have to say is that when I am on the golf course and some young lass brings the beer cart my way, I can only hope that there is some ice cold product of this because it will go down extremely well. Two thumbs up from this blogger. 

NBA player Delonte West was fined 25-thousand dollars this week for this....



Shea Weber was fined 2500 for this....



I'm not saying the Stanley Cup playoffs have been rough this year, but as I said on the Sportscage yesterday, I will know something is up if Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan are doing the play by play.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are holding a mini camp and word is one of the first things that Henry Burris said to Andy Fantuz was that he looked much better in black than he did in green. Yes, I know many of us are counting down the days until training camp, but I am guessing a lot of us are counting down the days until Hamilton comes to town. That might be the first time that sentence has ever been uttered.

My good buddy Tim Purvis at Omni Studios (link on the right) has a new Facebook page. If you need some website advice or some marketing or some social media, give Tim a call and check out his Facebook page right here

I don't have a real problem with Sean Payton getting suspended for a year for his role in the New Orleans Saints bountygate story, but I do have a problem with Roger Goodell basically telling him he can't have his life. Goodell has told Payton he is to have no contact with players, the organization itself or anyone connected to the NFL. Payton obviously has many friends that are in the NFL so to say he can't even talk to these people for a year is ludicrous. They might as well exile him to Alcatraz or Guantanamo Bay.

Note to Cliff Mapes---the congenial marketing man of the Regina Pats who is always smiling especially when his Flyers are winning. Make a call to the L-A Kings and see how much it cost them to get Eric Cartman of South Park fame yelling "GO KINGS GO" and then call whoever to get something produced in which Cartman yells "GO PATS GO". I love that!!!

There is always one series that I have little interest in. The Rangers-Senators series gets that honour this year. It would have been Florida and the Devils, but I have a lot of New Jersey guys in my pool. Oops, I said I wouldn't mention that again. Sorry! SIGHHHHHH!!!!

How should Dick Clark be remembered when it comes to the history of music? I never saw American Bandstand, but he brought the  legends of music into our living room at a time when it was tough to see them unless they were live in your town. I would think he should be characterized as an icon.

Former Pats coach Curtis Hunt was in the Sportscage Wednesday. I'm sure Huntsy would love to be behind someone's bench, but you can certainly tell that he isn't being bothered by the day-to-day stress that goes with the job. He looks great and he looks relaxed. I've always been a Curtis Hunt fan and I'd like to see him get another chance with someone whether it be in the WHL or with a pro team, but after seeing him yesterday, I may change my mind on that because he seems quite comfortable.

Congrats to Dianne Sletten for being named the first female assistant GM in WHL history. In speaking with Rob Vanstone of the Leader-Post, Sletten said "sports is a passion" to  her so why not take that passion to a position you know you will love, I wholeheartedly agree. Best of luck to her in a market where it is tough to keep the finances above water because of the population. Wins are needed, but people in Swift and Prince Albert need to realize that they need to stick with the team through the good times and the bad or else both centres will be back in the SJHL.

The Seahawks will provide the opposition for the Buffalo Bills in this year's game to be played in Toronto. Is it safe to assume that if I were to make a roadie for that game that I could probably get a pretty good ticket just before kickoff?

I have seen a lot of ugly uniforms, but this one that the Steelers are trotting out for their 80th anniversary may take the cake. Look at this!!!!


Alright that is enough. Did you figure out what is wrong with that picture at the top. If you didn't, take a look at how many arms Dad has.

Have a great day!!!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! the ol' 3-handed model! gotta love photoshop errors, editors really earning their $$.

Anonymous said...

I don't know who can afford Luongo but Toronto can't.

Watch Vigneault end up as Habs coach when this is done.

Love the Coors Light/Iced Tea and yeah, it will be great when out on the golf course.

Kevin

Anonymous said...

No wonder Mom has a smile on her face :)

75flyersbestteamever said...

Hate to admit it, but Philly's goalies leaves it open for a massive comeback by the Pens. You'd swear Ilya and Sergei were being extorted by Russian mobsters to throw the game.
BTW "I don't always drink beer," but when I do it isn't that... Coors Light Ice Tea kinda reminds me of a jug of draft beer that sat on the table too long. Shame on you traitors!! Pilsner forever.

Anonymous said...

Cartman=gold!

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Rumour has it Luongo wants to go home to Florida. Will the Panthers want him at that price? Not likely...will need to re-negotiate his contract.