Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

This And That

This is one of the great times of year to be a sports fan. The WHL playoffs are in full swing, the NHL playoffs are right around the corner, the Masters is starting, baseball's opening day has arrived and the CFL and NFL drafts aren't that far off. There's a lot of TV time being spent in the mancave if you know what I mean. Here are just random thoughts spilling out of the old brain...


--After watching Sunday's game between the Flyers and Penguins, who doesn't want to see these two teams duke it out in the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. The only thing that would be better is if it was an Eastern Conference final.

--Mike Milbury is taking a lot of heat for his Sidney Crosby comments this week and well he should. Is he any worse than Don Cherry though?

--Why was Sid yipping at Flyers coach Peter Laviolette at the end of last Sunday's game? Sid seems to have no problem in dishing things out, but he has a problem in taking it. This has to change in a big hurry.

--Is Evgeni Malkin or Steven Stamkos the NHL MVP this year? I gotta go with Malkin because of the way he stepped up his game in Sid's absence, but its tough to ignore the numbers Stamkos has put up.

--As the calendar hits April, I can't wait for the start of Riders season. I am so impressed with what GM Brendan Taman has done in the off-season and I can't wait to see Head Coach Corey Chamblin do his thing. A lot of good players have been brought into camp and while some won't be able to make the grade, others will. I'm not saying this team should be made a Grey Cup favourite after a miserable 2011, but a lot of favourable changes have been made and that should mean winning football is returning to Mosaic in 2012.

--I know many of my blog readers had Andy Fantuz jerseys. Have you gotten rid of yours? Will you still wear it to games? Are you getting a new one? If so, whose name and number do you have this time?

--The Winnipeg Blue Bombers say they should be considered as the flagship franchise of the CFL. If you want to think that, you go right ahead. Those of us that cheer for the/=S=/ know what the true answer is and those of us that cheer for Calgary, Edmonton and B.C may know what the true answer is too.

--"The Score's" Renee Paquette is someone I'd love to go for wings and beer with at the Press Box, the Four Seasons or any other sports bar. Not only is the girl easy on the eyes, but she loves and knows her sports and she loves professional wrestling. What could be better? You just know she would be the type to probably pay for the first round or get that 2nd basket of wings. There are a lot of talented female sportscasters out there, but she may top the list in this humble bloggers opinion.

--For those that watch the WWE, I think you would agree that John Cena had a pretty rough 24 hour stretch going from Wrestlemania to RAW. I keep waiting for Cena to turn bad. I think that day isn't that far in front of us.

--Just because he won a tournament two weeks ago should not make Tiger Woods the overwhelming favourite to win the Masters should it? Everyone is seemingly already placing the green jacket around his shoulders. I don't think he wins. He'll  be top 10 if not top 5, but I don't see him winning.

--Is there a more coveted prize in sports that is uglier than the green jacket? Would anyone or does anyone wear a green jacket outside of the hallowed halls of the Augusta National?

--If you could play 18 holes on one golf course in the world, where would it be? Augusta has to be near the top of the list. I think mine would be Pebble Beach.

--There is a new newspaper on Regina streets called "Metro". It looks good, but there isn't enough local content in there---especially in the two page sports section. If I want to know what's going on nationally, I will find it online or by watching CTV Newsnet or Newsworld or Global or CTV, but tell me what is happening locally and give me a different spin on it. Perhaps as the paper grows, it will, but right now I can't see anyone at the Leader-Post shaking their boots. To be fair. I don't know how much of a staff the new paper has so perhaps as it grows, more staff will come on board but right now it leaves a lot to be desired for this cowboy. The price is right though.

--I've said it once and I'll say it again. The Southland Mall has to do something about the space left vacant when Wal-Mart moved to Harbour Landing. That mall is dying. Every time I go in there, it seems as if there is less and less traffic in it. Its obvious Zellers/Target aren't going to do anything, so go to Plan B or C or D or whatever.

--Speaking of Harbour Landing, I had the opportunity to visit Lancasters Taphouse this past weekend. If that isn't a spot for those in Albert Park, Harbour Landing and others in south Regina to hang their hat at for a while while watching hockey, football or whatever I don't know what is. Its a fine looking establishment.

--I had someone ask me the other day why I haven't gotten the amount of advertising on my blog like what Rod Pedersen has on his blog. The reason is simple. I haven't actively gone out and solicited anyone to advertise. If anyone wishes to do so, all they have to do is get a hold of me and we can talk. It wouldn't be much!

--I know this will make Brent Parker cringe when I say it, but if the Edmonton Oilers fire Tom Renney at the end of the season, I would be stupid if I were the Oilers not to approach Pat Conacher. Yes, I am well aware that Conacher says in today's LP that he's not interested in going anywhere and that he wants to fulfill his 3 year deal, but if the phone rings, he would be silly not to hear the Oilers or any other team out. The same goes for Mike Stothers.

--Speaking of Brent, he had a tweet that made me laugh out loud yesterday. The "I will never stop wearing my emotion on my sleeve" Parker said this when talking about Mike Milbury. I know a thing or two about stupid comments and even I can't believe Mike Milbury went where he did with his Crosby comments!

--With the Jays ready to start 2012 tomorrow in Cleveland, I see this team being a serious contender for a wildcard spot in the American League. The Jays play in baseball's toughest and most expensive division alongside the Yankees and Red Sox. The Yankees aren't going anywhere, but I think Boston may take a slight dip this year and Tampa while still very good may not be as strong as the Jays. Games between those two teams may go a long ways into determining who makes it and who doesn't.

--A new Seahawks jersey is definitely on my "have to buy soon" list. I like them.

--I tweeted on Monday night that its a sweet gig for Jim Nantz when he can go from doing the championship game of the Final Four to the Masters. The LP's Craig Slater immediately tweeted me back saying yeah, but Nantz hasn't had the opportunity to talk with Lingerie Football League president Mitchell Mortaza like I have. Point Slater! By the way, what Regina media outlet openly slammed the league and on what outlet did the "You will be a rapist if you go to the games" comment come from. While some have problems with this league, I don't, but the league isn't helping itself in the PR battle. Some are suggesting this team will never play a game. I don't discount that theory one bit, but time will tell.

--I have no problem in not sitting at the line at Timmy's to get 7-11 coffee. It does the trick and I have my coffee quickly.

--If you have road rage, I offer you this solution. Buy a tank!

--That is all. Thanks for checkin in!











16 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't want to see the Penguins and Flyers in the playoffs, you are not a hockey fan. That will be the series to watch. Lots of bad blood.

Anonymous said...

Extra long weekend for this cowboy. Masters and Jays take priority over a day in the office.



Al

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with 7-11 coffee. Its just the cleanliness of the 7-11 that bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Malkin is the MVP for the reasons you state. If Tampa makes playoffs, I might consider Stamkos.

Renee Paquette would change the oil in your car and order you a pizza too. She is great!

If Conacher were to explore NHL opportunities, Cameron would be the new HC here in a second.

Anonymous said...

I got a new Dressler jersey yesterday.


Rick W

Anonymous said...

Renee Paquette? Best female Cdn sportscasters

1)Hedger
2)Orlesky
3)Mae
4)Natasha TSN
5)Leah Hextall--CTV Winnipeg

Anonymous said...

Neither Pens or Flyers win Cup because they will kill one another. It will be great to watch! Boston and Vancouver is nothing compared to this.


GB

Mitchell Blair said...

The fact you have Hazel Mae on this list and not Martine Gaillard gives you no credibility. That and going by anonymous. Thanks for playing the game.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

You're right Mitchell, Rene is DDG (drop dead gorgeous)

Mike from Vita, MB said...

Hextall is too much of a Manitoba homer, like the late Don Wittman, and he was Saskatchewan born.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised no comment about The Rock mentioning the CFL on raw last night. Even if it was a cheap shot.

Anonymous said...

You are right about the Southland Mall and Renee. She will be on TSN or Sportsnet within a year.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen this new paper, but they are not off to a good start advertising-wise. Check out their billboard at Park and Dewdney in which it says Hi Saskatoon! OOPS!

Anonymous said...

Hazel May is awful! So is Hedger. I would put Sara at the top of that list and then Kate Beirness. Renee Paquette's voice bothers me.

Anonymous said...

Why aren't you hosting the Cage?

Anonymous said...

If Conacher leaves, Cameron likely takes over, but the team won't be as successful