Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Weal Sends A Message

Jordan Weal is going to make it difficult on those choosing the invitees for Canada's World Junior team. Vancouver Giants coach Don Hay, who will serve as the bench boss for the Canadians in Alberta over Christmas, let it be known that Weal would have to make an impression in the Subway Super Series if he were to get an invite to the WJ camp in December.

With his home crowd watching, Weal was named the WHL player of the game as he had the game winning goal and an assist in a 5-2 win over Russia giving the CHL a 3-2 lead in the SSS with everything wrapping up tomorrow with Game 6 in Moose Jaw. 

Weal wasn't the only WHL'er that was impressive on this night. Portland blueliner Joe Morrow and Blades forward Josh Nicholls also turned some heads with their play. One guy who didn't play was Medicine Hat's Tyler Bunz. He was supposed to play the final half of the game, but  he took a puck off the head while sitting on the bench and didn't return. If he can't go in Moose Jaw, I'm guessing Warriors netminder Luke Siemens will be getting a call. 

It was good seeing the team representing Canada not wearing green and white as was the case at the World Juniors a couple of years ago. I hated those uniforms. 

Was it just me or was that the longest version of the Russian national anthem that you have ever heard? Of course, the best version of the Russian national anthem is this....

While it was great to see the WHL all-stars take on Russia, it was disappointing to see a crowd of what I would estimate to be 42-47 hundred at the Brandt Centre. I thought the rink would be close to sold out if not sold out for an event of this magnitude, but for whatever reason they couldn't sell it out. It will be sold out in Moose Jaw tomorrow. 
------
I'm not sure, but I may be getting addicted to Tim Horton's chili. 
-----
Some believe the Riders should have had more all-stars this year than just Jerrell Freeman. I think Freeman was the only guy deserving of all-star recognition this year. If there was to be a 2nd guy, I would have gone with Craig Butler at safety. I can't buy the Chris Getzlaf argument that some have made. 
------
Anthony Calvillo says he will talk to the Alouettes in a couple of weeks about his future and that he is concerned about some concussions he took this year. I would expect Calvillo to be back and be effective as ever. 
------
I'm taking the Ti-Cats and Lions on Sunday. 
-------
The gruff, but oh so lovable Pete Paczko( yes, he is ladies)  had a great idea during this week's taping of Locker Talk on Access. We had both the 3A champs from O'Neill and the 4A champs from Riffel on the program. Pete asked the Royals if they would like to have a true city championship game by playing O'Neill while I asked the Titans the same question. Both teams said they would love to have one more game to determine a true Regina high school football champ. Is there a way to make this happen? I think it would be outstanding. 
------
In the category of "Things I Thought I Would Never Do", I attended the Globe Theatre's production of "Robin Hood" with the family on Tuesday night. It was one of the final dress rehearsals, but thanks to Mrs. Scruffy's work we got some free tickets. In the words of the immortal Gary "Chop" Bresch, "if its free, its me" so off I went. My 8 year old daughter was absolutely enthralled by the play and if the truth be known, I was impressed with the performance as well. It can't be easy for the actors--especially those that play more than one part--to memorize all those lines. I would definitely recommend that you take it in. 
------
I don't go downtown very often, but I got my first look at the new city square last night. It looks great. 
----
Did anyone catch UFC fighter Chael Sonnen walk out of an interview with TSN's Michael Landsberg on Wednesday. If you missed it, its right here. I somehow would imagine that the one time "Saskatchewan's sexiest blogger" Tyler McMurchy will love this as will people who can't stand Landsberg. 
------
Some in the Occupy Regina movement supposedly started fires in their tents. ???????????
-----
The forecast is calling for snow and cold over the next few days and then plus 4 on Tuesday. Yes, this is November in Saskatchewan. 
------
The Craven Country Jamboree lineup for 2012 has me wanting more. Yes, Brad Paisley and "The Band Perry" will be here, but the country acts that I want to see won't be. I would have loved for the George Strait-Martina McBride concert to hit Craven. Maybe it can hit Taylor Field this summer. I'm a big Martina fan. 
-----
The city apparently had the Union Jack waving upside down outside City Hall on Wednesday. Was it my favourite redhead Sarah Mills that noticed this. If it was, I can only imagine the wrath she unleashed on Mayor Fiacco and whoever. Speaking of Canada's coolest mayor, he was at the Brandt Centre for Wednesday's hockey game. He was about to come on "The Sportscage" with Rod and I when he went to shut the door to the main entrance of the Brandt Centre because of a cool wind. As he got to the door, about five-six people came through the door and it looked like Fiacco was holding the door open. Yes, your mayor is not above holding the door for citizens of our fine city when major events are on. I wonder if those who came in even realized who was holding the door. I doubt it. 
------
It wasn't right seeing a junior hockey game of international importance being played in Regina and televised on Sportsnet without Peter Loubardias there. Yes, Peter is a good friend of mine, but I thought the pairing of him and Sam Cosentino was one of the best out there in hockey as both are very solid at what they do. It was great to see Sam and the rest of the Sportsnet crew--Rob Faulds and RJ Broadhead, but I do admit it wasn't the same without Loubardias there. 
-------
I thought watching Hoarders would encourage me to clean up. But all I could think was, "Hey, my place ain't that bad!"

9 comments:

Warrior Fan said...

Weal sent a big time message and looking for him to send another one tonight. The said thing is he has to for some reason he cant get the respect he deserves. When will Hockey Canada wake the hell up? Weal is one of the best players in junior hockey. Hopefully this year he gets the way overdue credit.

Anonymous said...

There is no doubt that a "label" has been attached to Weal and its one that he has to work hard to get rid of. Is there an attitude problem or is it something else? Do you think Lang could make a trade to get Ross or Rattie here as that line looked great last night and I think the Pats could use another scorer.

Anonymous said...

Saw Landsberg getting owned live. IT WAS GREAT!!! U have to love Sonnen.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Just the fact that you know "Chop" explains you in some light Mitch. HA HA HA!!!

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumour a few weeks ago that Taylor Swift might be playing Mosaic this summer. My source says he got it from someone at Evraz, but I don't know who. I would find it odd for a country act to come to Mosaic though with Craven being the big summer place to be.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

You aren't the only one that hated those green unis.

Great game last night. Loved the speed. The Russians are always great to watch because of the skill they bring. I'm looking forward to more of the same in Moose Jaw tonight.

Can you get a question answered for me. You wondered last night why guys like Reilly and Howden weren't playing. I wondered the same thing as well as guys like Etem and Stone. Why aren't they playing both games.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Count me as someone who would love to see a true city championship football game. What a great idea!

Al

Anonymous said...

I dont know why howden wasnt playing, but reilly is out for the year with knee injury

Dustin

Anonymous said...

If Paisley is playing, I am there.

JC