Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Brad's Bunch Delivers A Dirty Pounding

"The only thing better than today in Saskatchewan is tomorrow in Saskatchewan"--Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall.

The province's grand poobah made that statement early on in the election campaign and he is absolutely right. I don't think its a surprise that the Saskatchewan Party is forming government with its 2nd majority government, but I didn't think they would blow the NDP out of the water. The people of this fine province delivered an overwhelming message to Brad Wall and the Saskatchewan Party and that is we are putting our faith in you to keep this province on the roll its been on. I think that roll will continue for a long time.

Congratulations to Gene Makowsky for winning the seat in Regina Dewdney and becoming my MLA. I found it quite coincidental that Geno won with "60" percent of the vote and I would think this now puts the cap on what has been a great football career. Geno wouldn't say that's it when asked by Global's Sarah Richter, but I just can't see how Makowsky can do both. I think its safe to say we will hear Geno's name in the next few years as a CFL Hall-of-Famer.

I want to throw a name out there as new HC of the Riders. I know its a pipedream and I put this happening in the same category as Kent Austin coming back, but can the Riders have permission to talk to Marc Trestman? Perhaps he would bring Scott Milanovich with him. In all seriousness, I can't see Trestman wanting to leave Montreal, but if A-C were to retire and Trestman wanted the chance to work with Darian Durant to see if he could do for DD what he did for Calvillo, I (and many others I think) would be for it.

At what point do we have to start having the debate that Paul McCallum is the best kicker the CFL has ever seen. Hey, I know that's a bold statement to make in this province when you consider the great accomplishments of Robokicker Dave Ridgway, but one must acknowledge that the Lions kicker is one of the top field goal kickers this league has ever seen and yes, he may be the best one.

What has happened to the New England Patriots offence? They have gone downhill ever since that Week 1 performance against Miami?

Is Phillip Rivers still an elite quarterback in the NFL?

Can we put "the dream team" label on the Philadelphia Eagles to bed? They have to be the biggest disappointment of this NFL season.

If Peyton Manning were to be traded by the Colts, where would he end up? What team is on the cusp of greatness and could move to that of Super Bowl contender if he went there. Arizona? They still have a lot of the same personnel they had when Kurt Warner was there.

NFL team that I still have my doubts about---49ers
NFL team that impresses me more and more ---Bengals

If reports on Rod Pedersen's blog are true and the Eskimos are not giving permission for the Riders to talk to Marcus Crandell, they should be ashamed of themselves. If Marcus can advance his coaching career somehow and possibly return home to Regina where I believe his family is still located, he should be allowed the opportunity.

RIP...Smokin Joe Frazier.

Who is more annoying? The A&W guy or the Dairy Queen guy. I gotta lean towards the A&W guy.

I didn't miss the snow and I didn't miss shovelling it off the driveway.

I think its great that Josh Harding was named the NHL's first star this week. Harding has shown he is more than capable of being a number one goalie in the NHL, but he is stuck behind Nick Backstrom. Perhaps the Wild will move Harding since they have some goaltending talent in the minors or perhaps they move Backstrom to a contender at the trade deadline and get some cap space. For what its worth, Harding may be my favourite Pat since the Parker family took over the franchise. (Yes, Ebs is a close 2nd)

I don't know if there are any plans for it, but I would like to see some group throw a farewell party for Ken and Maureen Miller. The couple certainly deserve some way for the people of this city to show their thank you to this couple who added to what makes this city a great one. Mayor Fiacco, if you read this blog and I hear you do, it would be a great event.

Its hard to believe that Monday was the 20 year anniversary of Magic Johnson telling the world he was HIV positive.

Have a great Tuesday (which I'm thinking for some guy in Swift Current it will be)!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Mr. Wall and the Saskparty. I feel much more secure living in this province for the next four years. Mr. Lingenfelter can now move back to Alberta and do whatever.

McCallum will always be remembered in Saskatchewan (at least to this fan) as the guy who cost us being in the GC.

Great idea on a dinner to recognize the Millers.

Scott

Anonymous said...

Good idea for the Millers.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Brad Wall,Geno and the Sask Party.. For a HC, how about Jamie Barressi from the Peg? He is offensive minded and would work well with Darian.. Polkabill from Regina

Anonymous said...

Mitch, I don't know if you listen to Gormley, but he had comments from Judy Junor this morning in which she came off as nothing but a poor sport loser. That basically symbolizes the NDP in my books. This loss was coming to them and is deserving. What is needed in this province now is for the Liberals to become a force again because Saskatchewan has grown tired of the left-wing movement.

Patrick

Anonymous said...

Peyton gets traded to Dallas. Romo goes wherever and the Cowboys win the Super Bowl in 2012 or 13. Remember where you heard it first.

Grant

Anonymous said...

Trestman??? You had too much at the SP post-elxn party didn't ya!

Anonymous said...

Michael Farber brought up Trestman on TSN on the weekend suggesting he may not be back. If that were the case, I would jump on that horse in a second as long as he signed a two year deal.

Great idea for the Millers.

Anonymous said...

Can't see Eric not allowing Marcus to speak to the Riders, but if Eric holds any grudges perhaps he is playing tough guy. It is wrong if that's the case.

Anonymous said...

I don't live in Regina Dewdney, but I hope Geno makes a better MLA than Szarka does a city councillor. Wanna guess what part of the city I live in?

Anonymous said...

Judy Junor isn't the only one with a case of sour grapes today. The bottom line if you're an NDP supporter is that you just don't get it and that you voted for the most popular guy. That's right, I voted for the most popular guy who has shown me that the province is on and will stay on the right track as long as he in charge. Perhaps Ms. Junor and these other left-wing whack jobs need to take a good look in the mirror.