Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Random Thoughts

A quiet Sunday morning with coffee in hand and thoughts to share. Here we go in no particular order.

--The early consensus is Greg Marshall did not come off well in his farewell address to the Rider Nation because he didn't take any responsibility for the team's start. Yes, that is true. Marshall is also upset because the team only gave him eight games. The question I have (and yes, its a question I should have asked and didn't) was how long did he think he should have. If this season had gone to 1-10, 2-12 would it have been OK then. I will admit I was surprised to see Marshall go, but I wasn't surprised to hear of Doug Berry's ouster. His fate was sealed as far as I'm concerned when the Riders went to the shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 in the Toronto game. They actually did it twice with the other one being successful if you remember.

--I will give Marshall credit for coming to Mosaic one last time to face the media. He certainly didn't have to. Yes, he did have a message to give, but he coukd have done that in a variety of ways. You don't hear from many coaches when they have been fired. They just wither away. Marshall didn't do that. Despite the swipes he took at the organization, it was a classy move in my mind. Hey Roy Shivers didn't do that. That reminds me...whoever posted the comment "Marshall is leaving bitter not better" almost made me spit out my Pepsi when I read that. That was hilarious. For those that don't remember, when Barrett left, he had a short statement and his final words were "I leave better, not bitter."

--Will we ever hear Doug Berry's thoughts? About the time that Marshall was probably heading over to Mosaic, I got a Tweet saying Berry had been seen at the North Regina Co-Op with the car packed ready to head home. I can not verify if this is true or not, but will we ever hear his thoughts on what happened and will he give us his true thoughts on his relationship with Darian Durant.

--Did anyone find it ironic that Jason Clermont tweeted "Happy Birthday" to Durant on Friday afternoon about a half hour after the word came down. I really do wonder what went through the Rider quarterbacks mind when he heard the news.

--Would all of this happened had it not been for the early season misery of the BC Lions. They are the only thing that have kept the Riders in the Western Division playoff race. If you get in, its a whole different story and I know those in Calgary are hoping they don't see the Riders come playoff time.

--For those wondering if Marshall might have stayed had Chris Getzlaf caught the ball in the endzone on the 2nd to last Rider offensive play Thursday night, the answer is NO. What happened would have happened.

--Cory Boyd and Mike O'Shea apparently got into a shoving match during the 4th quarter of the Rider-Argo game, but nothing has been heard of the incident since. Can you imagine that happening here if player and coach got into it with one another.

--What happened to "The Drink" nightclub? It looks like its closed its doors. Is it coming back as something else?

--I like Currie Field, but does Regina need a new baseball facility? There is nothing wrong with the field itself, but parking is an issue when a big crowd shows up and the dressing rooms aren't that great. Could Optimist Park be renovated somewhat to make it a two-thousand seat venue. Its just a question I have.

--The Canadian Midget Baseball Championships will wrap up in Regina today and there is a chance the Humboldt Dodgers--the Sask rep--could be playing in the final. That final goes at 5 at Optimist Park. I haven't been to as many games as I would have liked, but I have been to a couple and it has been some good ball. If you get a chance to check out the bronze or gold medal games today, do so. Chances are you won't be disappointed.

--I've never met Global's weekend anchor Rylee Carlson, but besides doing a fantastic job on the news Saturday and Sunday nights, I also found out she is an NFL fan--albeit a Vikings fan. How did I find this out? She trash-talked me on Twitter about the Seahawks new quarterback Tavaris Jackson. Alas, I really had no response after watching him perform against the Vikings in NFL exhibition play last night. If this is what the Seahawks offence is going to look like in 11, its going to be a long year. If it wasn't a running play, it was a screen pass or a rollout with a short toss to the tight end. SIGGHHHHHH!!!!

--The National Post's Mark Masters writes a great column today on depression in hockey. I strongly encourage you to read this if you have a moment.

--If you missed it, I am writing blog pieces for the sports betting site "Sports Interaction" in the month of August. The latest posting is about no yards. I want the rule to be abolished or changed. You can read that here.

--For those that don't like MMA, the fact that FOX has signed a seven year deal to show UFC fights in prime time on Saturday nights is another clear indicator that the sport has gone main-stream. Its very similar to NBC and the WWE coming to an agreement on "Saturday Night's Main Event". UFC isn't going away folks---not for a long time.

---Who is the first pick in an NFL Fantasy Football draft. Is it Adrian Peterson, Chris Johnson or Arian Foster? The so-called "sexy" pick is usually ousted by another player who becomes the "sexy" pick next season. (ie: Foster ahead of Johnson last year).  This of course begs the question, who is the "sexy" pick in a Lingerie Football fantasy football draft and does the word "fantasy' have a different connotation for that draft.

--I would hope the WWE comes back to Saskatchewan in the next year, but I have my doubts.

--The NHL wants to change rules every summer, but they never ever want to address the equipment problem. If players don't skate out on the ice looking like football players, some of the problems in the game would be eradicated immediately.

--One last thing on Greg Marshall before leaving. Considering his first foray into the head coaching ranks and considering Richie Hall's failure in Edmonton, would you look at one of these two for an HC position when one opens up? And in the words of Stevie Baggs, please take emotion out of the equation because I know many are not Marshall and Hall fans. Both were good co-ordinators, but perhaps that step up to the top was too big of one for both men. Marshall and Hall would not be the only defensive minds in the offensive-oriented CFL to not succeed. Rich Stubler could be put in that category and so could Gary Etcheverry. With no disrespect to either man, I just think you have to have an offensive flair to be a CFL head coach these days.

Have a good day!

--

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on NHL equipment. But you can't expect much out of NHL GMs. They're the same guys that have been scrapping for years over no-touch icing. Unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Scruffy, don't forget about the Thunder game at Mosaic today at 1. Its a great afternoon for football!!!

Anonymous said...

Richie had two years so I would say no to him, Marshall had less than a half season so I might be inclined to give him another shot, but his leash would be a short one. There would be no three year deal. I don't know what the Riders were thinking on that one.


Jim

Keith said...

I do recall hearing the question put to Greg by someone in your recording of the interview as to how many games he thought he should have had. His response made sense - he said he did not have a precise number but that 8 was not enough. (Didn't there used to be a TV show with a title similar to that?)

Mike from Vita, MB said...

I too think that it may be a long time till Hall or Marshall get a HC gig again. Not that their strength is defense; they need to have the respect of their locker room, and neither seemed to have it.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

From a Winnipeg media outlet

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/08/20/roughriders-fans-have-gone-too-far?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=recommend-button&utm_campaign=Roughriders+fans+have+gone+too+far

Anonymous said...

Cory Boyd and Mike O'Shea got into a fight????

Anonymous said...

I felt bad for Marshall until I heard his speech yesterday. It seems to me as if he still doesn't want to take any accountability for the start and wants to lay all blame at the feet of those who hired him.

Al

Anonymous said...

Humboldt shat the bed today Scruff. Don't know if you were there, but it was ugly.