Canuck fans are happy and why shouldn't they be. They are two wins away from the Stanley Cup after last night's thrilling 3-2 overtime win. The OT hadn't really started when it ended as Alex Burrows went wide on Tim Thomas and stuffed it in on the wrap around sending those at Rogers Arena and in the street around the building into a frenzy.
The series now goes back to Boston where the pressure is obviously on the Bruins to win and repeat what they did in the first round to Montreal.
Just some questions and thoughts
1. Boston is down 2-0, but each and every Vancouver fan should know it could be the Canucks down 2-0. The series has been that close
2. While Roberto Luongo has won both games, I think Tim Thomas has been the better goalie because Luongo hasn't made a bunch of big saves. He has made some big ones, but if Thomas doesn't make the stops he is making Vancouver wins the first two games easily.
3. What has happened to Zdeno Chara? The guy is 6 foot 9 and he's not intimidating anyone.
4. Is Burrows making a late run at the Conn Smythe? What about Luongo?
5. I was glad to see Manny Malhotra return, but I thought overkill was the word of the night when it came to his return. Yes, he did have a serious eye injury, but others have returned from serious injury and not had the salutes that Malhotra had. Listening to the first half of the game on satellite from the Team 1040 in Vancouver, you would have thought Manny had returned to action after being clinically dead.
The SJHL's annual general meeting has come and gone. While I won't get into specifics (I will post the release later), it was only re-iterated that there are 12 teams who are very passionate about what they do and what this league does. There are some tremendous challenges facing this league, but there are some solid people at the table and behind the bench that will do their damndest to make this thing work because they are passionate about what they do. Issues need to be addressed and that started this weekend thanks to the leadership of new prez Bill Chow.
Rider training camp begins today. The veterans are here and the off-season is now officially over. Can some of the guys that made an impression during rookie camp keep impressing the coaching staff now that the vets have showed up. We will soon find out. There are going to be some good battles and while I can't get there today, I will be there tomorrow.
The Minnesota Twins have a guy in their lineup named Brian Dinkelman. Do I need to go on?
Winnipeg got to 13-thousand season tickets. What took them so long? Mark Chipman has said he will not announce what the team is going to be named until after the 13-thousand were sold. I'm guessing a majority of those 13-thousand want the Jets so name it that,. Change the colours and change the logo to make people buy the new look when it comes to sweaters and whatever, but call the team the Jets.
Sunny and 25 today? Has September hit already?