Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Where Were You Night

The night started with me playing in the finals of an APBA fantasy football league that I've been involved with for several years and ends with one of those nights where you will never forget where you were when you heard the news.

One minute I'm playing my game and stopping to look at the TV to see the Tampa Bay Lightning celebrating their overtime victory over the Washington Capitals, and the next minute I'm looking and seeing word that Osama Bin Laden has been killed. I gotta be honest with you, I wasn't that disappointed to hear that he was dead. When I think of what he orchestrated and how he changed the world on September 11, 2001, I cringe. I never ever hope to see the carnage and the sights that I saw from that terrible Tuesday and the days that followed.

A decade later, I can only imagine what friends and family of those who were on those planes were feeling as they heard the news. Americans from coast to coast came out and celebrated----and you know what, who can blame them. I can't.

American pride is riding into the red today and it will for quite a while. One can only think of how emotional it will be in Philadelphia tonight when the Bruins and Flyers meet before Game 2 and God Bless America gets pumped through the rink.

You have to wonder what Caps coach Bruce Boudreau is thinking. His team is down 2-0 to Tampa, but he was supposed to be one of those planes that crashed. I don't think he cares that his team is down 2-0 as much as some others do.

What had to be going through the minds of both President Obama and Prime Minister Harper when word filtered down to them. Imagine the pressure on their speechwriters to come up with something so historical so quickly. There's a lot of people that I think about on a night like tonight. The question now is "Has the War on Terrorism come to an end". Sadly, it hasn't as there are other lunatics out there, but on this night, the world can celebrate.
-----
From my good buddy Tom Pura in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Hitler's death was confirmed on May 1, 1945 and Bin Laden's is confirmed on May 1, 2011. Coincidence??
----
This will be all the talk as Canadians head to the ballot box today. Did the opposition parties get what they wanted in dissolving Parliament. I guess we'll find out tonight when the votes are counted, but I have to think at the end of the night we will be right where we were 45 days ago and that the Conservatives will have a minority government. The only difference will be the Liberals and Bloc will be asking what happened and Jack Layton will be grinning from ear-to-ear. No matter what your political affiliation, I do urge you to get out and vote. You have the ability to do so and in some places, you don't get this chance so make the most of it----especially after what has happened.
------
The Lightning and Sharks are up 2-0. I still think Detroit can beat San Jose, but I don't know if Washington can come back to oust Tampa.
------
With all apologies to Sidney Crosby, the Penguins aren't playing anymore so you have become sort of irrevelant. Saying you have experienced a setback really means nothing when your team is no longer playing. Get yourself to 100 percent this summer and be ready for camp. If camp comes along and you're not ready, then that will be news. Until then, MEHHHH....
------
You gotta feel for Pats GM Chad Lang. He had to go through the pain and suffering of the Garrett Robinson accident in Moose Jaw when he was there and now he has another situation on his hands where a player of his is seriously injured. There's a lot of difference between what Lang went through and what he will go through now, but he handled himself tremendously with Garrett and he will here as well.
------
Its been 20 years since the Flames and Oilers met in the playoffs. Sadly, I don't think that drought is going to end anytime soon.
-----
OMG, John Cena is the new heavyweight champ. How shocking! And it happens the night before the WWE will celebrate "The Rock's" birthday in Miami. Surprise, surprise!
----
The WMBL season is less than a month away. I can't wait to spend some nights at Currie Field watching the Regina Red Sox play. Its the best baseball in the city and it is a great way to spend an evening. A lot of Reginans started to find that out at the end of last year. I hope those people come back.
------
I've said it once, I'll say it a million times. There is nothing like the afternoon nap!!
-----
Have a good one!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing Neiemi (sp?) would be the first goalie to be the starting goalie for Cup winning teams in back to back years if the Sharks won would he not. I'm thinkin San Jose has to be the favourite to win it all now.


Jason

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever been as happy to get word that a man has died as I was when I heard the news last night. I don't think Americans would have criticized the President one bit had he raised his fist in triumph. The war on terrorism isn't over, but the US (and Canada) won a big one.

75flyersbestteamever said...

Here's hoping Mr. Bin Laden first had to take off his sandals, empty his tunic of all metal artifacts and get "video raped" walking throgh the scanner to make sure he wasn't carrying anything perculiar on his body, then answered 20 questions making him feel like the Unabomber (ironic isn't it) before Satan let him roast in eternal damnation in Hell.
I hope it was worth it hiding in caves and on the lamb...PS I hope he remembers to tell them to get the place ready for Charlie Sheen

Anonymous said...

As a Canadian, I don't know if we can really feel the magnitude of what has happened here. This indeed is an historical event, but I don't think the pictures on TV of jubilant Americans do it justice. I think you would almost have to be thee to feel the full effect.

BM

Anonymous said...

I don't know what Harper was thinking, but I was thinking that I hope this is the last speech he gives as Prime Minister.

Anonymous said...

"The Caps and Sharks are up 2-0. I still think Detroit can beat San Jose, but I don't know if Washington can come back to oust Tampa."

You need some edits .... The Lightning and Sharks are up 2-0 and San Jose has been by far the better team over 6 plus periods where as Tampa has been opportunistic and hung around for two games to escape with a lead. Without Howard the games in SJ aren't even close while the Caps are on the verge of busting out. IMO.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

It must be an amazing feeling to be at Ground Zero today. I can only wonder what is going through the minds of all of those affected by that terible day and how they feel this morning.

Anonymous said...

I had originally said I wouldn't be voting in this election. I have a boat load of reasons why but it's more to do with federal politics.

here's a few.

I am sick of going to the polls and nothing changing.
I am sick of having a western based prime minister and doing NOTHING for saskatchewan, including giving OUR equalization money to buy votes in Quebec. Which, for those scoring at home, DIDN'T WORK!!!!
I am sick of the MP's in this province sitting on their hands and doing nothing for this province unless the prime minister tells them what to do.
Yes, I'll vote. Because that's my right. People died for me to have that right. I'll do it as a lesson for my kids.
But I am not going to like it.

Anonymous said...

We're on a roll. Kill bin Laden on Sunday then kill the Bloc on Monday and thank goodness Jean Cretien is still alive so he could see his West-raping party totally humiliated.

Veeseven