Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Touch It, It Won't Bite

I have to wonder if the conference championship trophies in the NHL are like strippers giving a lapdance. You can look, but don't you touch. Once again, a team made a mockery of a trophy presentation as Henrik Sedin (or was it Daniel) wanted no part of the Clarence Campbell Trophy when it was presented to the Canucks by NHL deputy commish Bill Daly after Vancouver won the West with a 3-2 double overtime thriller.
The NHL really has to look into this because the scene will be repeated in Tampa tomorrow or in Boston on Friday as neither the Bruins or Lightning will want to touch the Prince of Wales trophy. I don't think the NHL can make it mandatory, but perhaps have a famed alumni come out or give it to the team owner or something. Make the ceremony worthwhile or just scrap it altogether. Who decided not to touch the trophy and is this the same person that made the playoff  beard famous.

While we're at it, whose bright idea was it to have confetti rain over the ice surface at Rogers Arena. What type of delay would have been caused had replay overturned the final goal for whatever reason? Did whoever was responsible not realize the danger they are putting the players in by having all of that stuff on the ice. STOOOOOOOOOOOO-PID!!!!

Game 5 was a great one as the Sharks were all over Vancouver only to see the Canucks repel chance after chance after chance and when it was said and done, Kevin Bieksa scored perhaps one of the ugliest goals in Vancouver history to send them to the Cup final.
-----
I thought guys like Brandon League and Kyle Farnsworth were horrendous relievers, but they are nothing compared to the ever-popular Frank Francisco. What a pile of steaming dung this guy is for the Jays as his performance snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on Tuesday. Its not the first time he has done this. I'm starting to think Frank Francisco is Spanish for Crap Crappola because that is what he is.
-----
The jinx continues when it comes to fantasy baseball. I picked up Colorado starter Jorge de la Rosa on Sunday night. Monday, he pitched less than 2 innings before his elbow ligament went on him meaning he is done for the season. Thanks for the contribution Jorge. Back to the waiver wire. I SUCK!
-----
Hines Ward apparently won "Dancing With the Stars". Good for him. Did he celebrate with a Terrible Towel?
----
A book is coming out about the day to day life at ESPN and it apparently is a tell-all book. Apparently Tony Kornheiser and Mike Tirico didn't see eye to eye many times when on Monday Night Football. This is just one of the juicy stories in the book that will be a must-read.
-----
USA Today wants you to pick the greatest ever Blue Jay. You can find the article right here. I gotta go with Robbie Alomar, but its hard not to pick Roy Halladay. Garth Iorg apparently didn't make the list.
-----
Sandro De Angelis has been released by the Ti-Cats. Didn't he once proclaim himself as the world's greatest kicker? I know the Riders are searching for a kicker because of Luca Congi's injury, but add me to the many that don't want him wearing green.
-----
Roller Derby is at the Callie this Saturday night. I can't make this one, but I might have to go to the June show. Hey, if I can go to High Impact Wrestling, I can check out roller derby. I'll even drag Vanstone along because like me, he loves this stuff.
------
To blog reader Darryl, I know what you're saying, but I didn't publish your comment because it is a little mean-spirited to a friend of mine so I rejected it. However, I do understand what you are saying and I do thank you and no I don't know what goes through their mind and haven't for quite a while. To tell you the truth, I don't really care and either should you or many others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You'd better change your survey to include Luongo. Go Bruins or Bolts!!!

Anonymous said...

You stole that headline from a movie I was watching last night! On the internet. Alone. Sigh...


DST

Anonymous said...

Imagine the fallout if a major Canuck gets hurt because he got hurt with all the confetti on the ice. What a stupid move!!


Bill

Anonymous said...

I hope you send Drew a message of condolences today about his Sharks. I didn't mind that team until I had to start listening to him, now I might dislike them more than I do the Habs.


Rick

75flyersbestteamever said...

I toss out this for everyone--Bieksa OT goal was ugly...Hawks cup OT winner-only Kane knew it went in for a couple seconds..plus some other of the OT goals that reek of bad breaks (Hull's foot in crease)..will the day come where the Shoot-out takes over from OT gameplay to determine the winner in terms of creating excitement?..maybe after 1 period of OT?..sure seemed like getting a lap dance from Arnie Schwartzenegger's mistress when you consider the ending of last nights marathon...uggggly.

Anonymous said...

Yea, because it would be really cool to skate around the ice and celebrate with a "2nd place" trophy! Give it up, if the players don't want to hoist the Campbell bowl, they don't need to. No one celebrates and carries around the AFC or NFC Championship trophies or the AL or NL trophies for that matter. They all want the big one. The only thing the Campbell bowl is good for is the year end team photo.

DL