Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP Macho Man


One of my favourite all-time wrestlers, perhaps #2 behind Bret "Hitman" Hart has died. Randy "Macho Man" Savage suffered a heart attack while behind the wheel of his vehicle in Florida and ended up going off the road and hitting a tree. He was 58 years old. RIP Macho Man and thank you for the memories.

One of those memories was this raw young broadcaster getting the chance to interview Randy and Elizabeth when the two were at the Agridome for a wrestling show in the late 80's. I was at the old 620 CKCK at the time and managed to get an interview. He walked into the room and was as gracious as could be. He then asked me if he wanted his real voice or his "Macho Man" voice as to which I laughed and said it had to be the stage voice. Moments later, I got an ever famous "Oooooooooh Yeah".

I know that Vince MacMahon and Randy weren't on the best of terms, but I hope he is given his due on this week's RAW and Smackdown because if ever someone deserves a fitting tribute, it is the Macho Man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great one bites the dust. RIP Macho Man! You were definitely one of the best to ever enter the ring.

Darren

Anonymous said...

I thought he'd been dead for years. These old wrestlers don't have a long shelf life.

Anonymous said...

Chalk up another athlete's early death to HGH.



Brad