Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Why Do They Get To Be Captains?

The NHL all-star game which can be described as quirky this year will go in a couple of weeks. The league named the captains for the game on Tuesday and they will be Eric Staal and Nick Lidstrom. The players participating supposedly chose those players. The question I have is why wouldn't the NHL have its marquee players--Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin--as the captains. I don't know why you wouldn't have those two players picking their respective sides instead of Staal and Lidstrom. Staal is probably there because the game is being played in Carolina, but will that make his team the crowd favourite. I doubt it. I just wish the NHL would scrap the all-star game and keep going. Like other all-star games, its not the sport we watch on a nightly basis so why give us this exhibition of offence. Is it really that good for the game?
------
The Melfort Mustangs have beaten the top two teams in the Sherwood Conference over the last few days after beating Kindersley at home and the Terriers in Yorkton. There are many good teams in the SJHL that have a shot at winning the Credit Union Cup, but I would have a tough time betting against the Mustangs right now. They have a great squad.
------
Big win for the Pats as they downed the Raiders in a shootout. P-A still gets a point, but Regina needs wins if they are going to get the playoffs and they will gladly take it. Still with the Pats, I don't know if Shayne Neigum was considered as a throw-in when the team sent Thomas Frazee to Kamloops for some picks and 17 year old Lyndon Martell. If he was, it was a great move by Lang as Neigum has been one of Regina's best players over the past couple of weeks.
-----
Myles Bell has the CHL's Hardest shot. He clocked one at 98.4 miles per hour at the skills competition preceeding tonite's prospects game. I've said it once and I've said it before. The Parkers have seen a lot of good defenceman roll through here, but Bell might be the best one when all is said and done. Some NHL team will be very lucky to pick him come draft day. I also expect Bell to be on that long list of Pats that have represented Canada at the World Juniors.
------
Why aren't the New York Jets doing any trash-talking leading into the AFC Championship game. I don't think now is the time to change the attitude that has made you successful.
-----
Now that Gene Makowsky is back with the Riders, I wonder if he will ever play on the "left" side of the line. All I know is if Geno can help bring the Riders a Grey Cup in 2011, he will create a "Saskatchewan Party".
------
I saw former Blades (current Minnesota Wild) goalie Anton Khudobin use the poke-check last nite to thwart an Edmonton scoring opportunity. Goalies seemingly don't use the poke check any more. The poke-check is as great as a Principal Richard Pound eye-poke as far as I'm concerned.
------
From my good friend Bryn Griffiths in Edmonton "Bet Louie Debrusk has seen cabbies with more intensity than the Oilers have shown tonight in third period. Only a guess.
BLOGGER NOTE: If you haven't heard, Debrusk (Sportsnet Oiler analyst) has been charged with assault after an incident in Vancouver in December involving some cabbies.
------
The SGI campaign in which you are supposed to go to http://www.thedecision.ca/ is a great one. Check it out!
-----
The Blue Jays are said to be looking at Johnny Damon. Why? Damon is past his prime. I would rather the Jays pursue Manny Ramirez than I would Damon and I don't even think they should go after Manny.
----
Since Lebron James had a "tweet" in which he ridiculed his old team for getting spanked by the Lakers, the Miami Heat has lost four in a row. Karma is a bitch isn't it Lebron. That's what you told everyone isn't it???
-----
It didn't break my heart to hear that former Broncos coach Josh MacDaniels has signed on to become the offensive co-ordinator with the St. Louis Rams. He was supposedly being courted by the Seahawks. MacDaniels was good in New England as an OC, but he was a terrible coach in Denver. He needs to grow up somewhat. I'm guessing he won't start a movement to get rid of Sam Bradford the way he did Jay Cutler.
-----
While I haven't officially seen it, I received a text saying Stampeders defensive back and loudmouth Brandon Browner has signed a contract with the Seahawks. At least it isn't Dwight Anderson.'
----
43 and a half million people in the U-S watched the Jets-Patriots game last Sunday. It means 43 and a half million people asked why Tom Brady didn't let his hair flow freely under his helmet instead of putting it under a balaclava. As Mrs. Scruffy said "Perhaps he has Samson hair" and covering it made him just ordinary---which he was.
-----
If the Jets win the Super Bowl, what type of Super Bowl champion gear will I have to buy Mrs. Scruffy seeing she is a Jets fan. I guess that is the team I must root for now. SIGHHHHHHH!!! I'd rather have them than the Steelers though. Who's kidding who, if its a Steelers-Bears Super Bowl, I might look for a Major League Soccer or WNBA game.
------
Roll the PVR on the Onion Sportsdome. Its on Comedy Network at midnight.
-----
WHO IS GOING TO REPLACE REGIS????
-----
To be old and wise one must first be young and stupid. So this means I'm gonna be a genius.

1 comment:

Clark Stork said...

The real question is, do you have insomnia?! Why would you watch the hapless Oil and Minnesota.