Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Its A Cruel Game

Its no secret when I tell you football is a cruel game. As great as it is to watch for the fans and for players to play the game, there is a seedy underbelly to the game and it has exposed itself in Edmonton.

The Eskimos got rid of offensive lineman Calvin Armstrong this week. I mocked that decision in an earlier post saying yeah, he's the problem. What I didn't know when that transaction was made public was that Armstrong's release came on the day he welcomed his first child into this world as his wife gave birth via c-section. I don't know about you, but I find that rather callous. Armstrong is given perhaps the biggest joy of life by welcoming his first child and then he gets a call that isn't a congratulatory one from Richie Hall saying his services are no longer needed. I realize the Eskimos can't look at Armstrong's situation and change their thought-process, but if Armstrong was going to be released, could they not have waited one more week. Could they not have put him on the practice roster or try to deal him or something. The optics just reek here.
----
Still with the Eskimos, Eric Tillman appears to perhaps be on his way. If that indeed does happen, I will be happy for Eric. E-T was always fair to me during his time with the Riders and I have had several conversations with him in his post G-M days (although none recently). We have shared several anecdotes and he has told me some things that I won't forget. He has been a good person to me and he has been a friend. Eric made a mistake. Its something that he has acknowledged. Debate the issues all you want, but in the end, the right decision was made when he fell on his sword and resigned. It is time for him to get back to work. If he takes the Edmonton job, he will make the Eskimos a contender in a short time. Knowing Eric, I'm guessing he already has a 10 point plan as to how that is going to get done. He has a mess to clean up there. A bigger one than he had when he came here and maybe using the word "mess" isn't fair because even though I wasn't a Roy Shivers fan, the cupboard still had some things in it to start a recipe and I think Eric will have to take a couple of trips to the grocery store.
----
I don't know why there are so many in the NFL up in arms over an 18 game schedule. There isn't a movement in the CFL to reduce their 18 game schedule. Is it really going to be that bad?
----
A new NFL season begins tonight and I will be firmly planted on the couch hoping to see Favre get smacked around by the Saints. No way does #4 come close to having the season he had last year. The Vikings aren't even the best team in their division this year as far as I'm concerned. I'll have more NFL chatter including my SB pick this afternoon.
-----
Picked up the Hockey News yearbook yesterday. THN is picking the Oilers to be last in the Western Conference. NO! Edmonton won't be a playoff team, but they aren't finishing dead last in the conference again. Taylor Hall has been given the opportunity to wear #4 which is the number Kevin Lowe wore for so many years. It now means the first ever draft pick of the team and the only first overall draft pick of the team are the two men to wear that number in Edmonton. If Hall can have the career that several other 4's have had in the NHL including Lowe, things will be fine in Northern Alberta.
----
The Bombers are interested in Jesse Lumsden. One guy that needs to stop playing the game because of injury is on the shelf again because of a dislocated elbow (Buck Pierce) and the Bombers want to give someone who maybe shouldn't be playing the game another chance. I guess that takes me full circle because it is a cruel game and sometimes you just can't be told that its over. Matt Dominguez fits in that category. The former Rider receiver thinks he can still play the game even though his knees have failed him. He thinks he can play, but no CFL team thinks that thus he sits in limbo. It must aggravate the hell out of Big number 88 knowing he can still do what he loves, but no one will let him. Its a cruel game.
------
NFL predictions later. Stay dry!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with you on a few points:

#1 - Regardless of circumstance I am certain the Eskimos knew well ahead of time Calvin Armstrong would not be in the plans. That decision could have been made a week before or even a week after. When you remove emotion from the equation though they have to consider the salary cap, and really when is the best time? Every December this happens in the private sector. Do you let a guy/gal go before Christmas or after? I struggle with that decision.

#2 - Oilers I don't see finishing in dead last, but you never know. I think Florida could stake that claim or possibly Atlanta. Did anyone read this week's Hockey News? There is the Major Junior Report in this edition. The Regina Pats are picked to finish 21 out of 22 teams. I think they got that wrong. The Pats will finish in 22nd place.

#3 - Eric Tillman. I'm not a fan, and nobody came down harder on him than me, in terms of stating he had to go. At the end of the day resigning was the correct decision. However in life people move on and deserve second chances, and sometimes even third, fourth, or fifth chances. He should get his. It's time for him to get on with his life, and contribute to society. I have no issue with Edmonton hiring him as their GM. I would imagine Kent Austin will be following him there.

Take Care
Obama

Anonymous said...

Tillman going to a Western rival will bite the Riders right in the ass. Go to Ottawa or the team in the Maritimes, but don't go to the hated Shmoes Eric. Hopson screwed this matter up and despite all the good he has done for the team, this was a major OOPS and one that can't be corrected.

Dustin

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the 18 game sked. If we can do it, so can they.

BTW all the good that the Riders-Als game did for the NFL Network might be washed away this weekend. They are showing Calgary at Edmonton on Friday night. The NFL network might want to consider Texas High school ball after that game--then again some Texas High school teams might beat Edmonton.