Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

I Couldn't Do It

Remember when Stampede Wrestling graced our TV every Saturday afternoon. Every now and then, someone would say they want a fight that will be so bloody and ugly that you can't show it on TV. It would be for the best of everyone involved. That's how I felt going into the Stamps-Eskimos game. There was no need to put this on TV again was there. Did we really need to see Edmonton get steamrolled again. Give the Eskimos credit as they hung with Calgary for the first half, but the Stampeders were too strong on this night as they win 36-20. I watched the final couple of moments. I couldn't watch these two teams play one another again especially after what happened on Calgary in Monday. This sets up what should be a great contest next Friday at Mosaic when the Stamps pay a visit. Win or lose on Sunday, I am expecting the Riders to come home and slap Calgary right across the kisser.
----
The Alouettes looked bad without Anthony Calvillo against B.C. How will they look against Hamilton tomorrow on the road with Adrian McPherson starting. Take the Tabbies.
----
The Huskies stomp the crap out of Calgary in Calgary last week and then they turn around and get pasted by UBC at Griffiths Stadium by a tune of 31-12. The Rams came close in Calgary, but they couldn't get past the injury riddled Dinosaurs losing 24-21.
----
Scott Schultz needs his own show! He is outstanding on Four Seasons Football Friday with RP on "The Sportscage".
----
It is just plain stupid that the Riders can't fly to Winnipeg direct without having to go through Calgary. Dumb, dumb, dumb! Our airport is getting better with more US destinations to go to, but it is really stupid when you can't fly non-stop to Winnipeg. Going to Winnipeg via Calgary doesn't make sense.
----
Not that I've ever desired to be one, but I wouldn't want to be a farmer after going through this rain-soaked dreary day and then hearing on the news that a big frost is supposed to be coming next week. I believe the figure I heard today was that just 13 percent of the crop has been harvested. That number isn't going up dramatically in the next week.
----
The SJHL season hasn't even started and Bruins coach Karry Biette may already have the quote of the year. The former Pat has had some lean years in Estevan, but he looks to have a solid team at his disposal this year. In talking to him in an interview you can hear on the league website, Biette throws the gauntlet down. He says "The only reason I'm still sitting here is we finished last, but we made 12-thousand dollars. Like I've told the people of Estevan, I'm tired of hearing about last year, I'm tired of talking about last year. Fire me at Christmas if we're not in the top 3." A bold statement by Biette, but you know what. I LOVE IT!! It wasn't one of those famous canned responses that coaches and players are famous for.
-----
If you are a young, aspiring journalist wanting to do play-by-play, (like a young Mitch back in the mid 80's), the Weyburn Red Wings need a play-by-play guy. Cam Birnie at AM1190 is looking for someone who will not only do the play-by-play for the Wings, but read their morning news. Get a hold of him if interested. I told Cam that I knew this kid from Milestone who has some hockey experience that might be interested, but I don't think he would do that early morning news thing and that he's a little busy from now until the first part of December. Somewhere in Regina, the person I am talking about just spit his coffee on the computer screen.
-----
Who's your sure lock in the NFL this weekend? What's your upset special? I'll throw my Sunday picks in before kickoff.
-----
Looks like Weyburn survived its visit from Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland). I would have loved to have been at that event.
----
"Dashing" Cody Rhodes should be "Nauseating" Cody Rhodes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember when Mukha Singh would tell Ed Whalen you can't show this on TV. Funny stuff! Edmonton actually gave Calgary a game for the first half. Eric will be there soon.

JN

Anonymous said...

Karry Biette is a good guy. He has a good team this year. We will see.

Anonymous said...

Schultz is great on the Cage! No offence, but he is the best co-host RP has. Speaking of co-hosts, where have you been?


Brad

Kevin said...

Blair you can go direct between Regina and Winnipeg, but not on Westjet, which is who the Riders use for that trip. I guess they don't want to try and squeeze everybody into those seats on a CRJ, or have to have people on 2 flights in order to get the team plus everybody else to Manitoba.