Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's The Fascination?


I hate camping! I can't stand it! Some find fun camping in the great outdoors a real thrill, but I am not one of them. My idea of camping is an air conditioned hotel room with cable TV. I don't want to sleep in a tent and a motorhome just isn't for me. It is for some people though. While I have seen it many, many times, it never fails to baffle me as to why many decide to use Wal-Mart parking lots as a campground. Does Tourism Regina know about this? Are their pamphlets out somewhere? Why would people abandon the campground and the surrounding wilderness to park their camper in the middle of a parking lot to hunker down for the night. What is the thrill? As you can see, there were four groups of people from this picture that were getting set to crash in the East Walmart parking lot Tuesday night. There were a few more though---I think I counted seven motorhomes in all. I know the Walmart on Rochdale has campers stay for the night and I'm guessing some do at the new one in south Regina because they did at the Southland. Its one of those things I guess I'll never understand.
-----
CNNSI's Peter King has made his Super Bowl pick. He is taking the Steelers to beat the Packers. The Steelers? They won't have Ben Roethlisberger to start the season and they are in a division with a team that could be the AFC rep in the Super Bowl---the Baltimore Ravens. I am not a Steelers fan, but I'm guessing even the most loyal of Pittsburgh fans would be very surprised to see their team playing for the Vince in February.
-----
What is the NHL going to do now that Oilers goalie Nikolai Khabibulin has been found guilty of drunk driving? What are the Oilers going to do? If they were smart, they would find a way to make Khabibulin's contract void thus giving themselves some room to sign a young goalie and perhaps a big forward. If the Oilers do keep him, how long will be suspended by the NHL? You have to think they will punish Khabibulin in some manner---especially after Mark Bell of the Sharks was suspended for being involved in a hit and run when he was over the limit.
-----
Operation "Iraqi Freedom" is over. Was it worth it?
----
Why doesn't anyone question Wally Buono with his team at 1-7?
----
Is it really September?
----
I forgot how much afternoon TV sucks!
----
One month to go in the baseball season and I think it is going to be a September to remember. A lot of races are a long ways from being decided.
----
How many fantasy football drafts are you in this year? I'm in 3 of them.
----
Congrats to TSN's Jay Onrait who was nominated for a Gemini award as one of Canada's top sportscasters. Onrait did very well for himself in Vancouver at the Olympics, but I think there are many in Eastern Canada and the Maritimes who don't see Onrait's schtick every night because of how late he comes on. Nothing against Rod Smith, but I think Onrait should take his spot on the late afternoon Sportscentre.
----
Magicians must be angry at the crowd all the time, because all I see them do is pull their hare out of their hat!

5 comments:

bp said...

Walmart will let any motorhome / camper spend the night in their parking lots across north america. When people are just passing through down the main high way it is way quicker to pull over at walmart pick up your supplies and get back out on the road first thing in the morning instead of driving an hour out of the way each way to somewhere like rowans or echo where the lots are probably booked up anyways.

Dont quote me on that I just overheard a few people talking about this once.

Anonymous said...

Motorhome travellers spend a lot of time on the highway between destinations. Walmart actively encourages and welcomes motorhomes to use their parking lots for overnight stays. If you were travelling from, say Ontario to BC, and were not interested in paying a fee to stay in a campground on the edge of town for just a 8-10 hour stop and sleep before you move on down the road, walmart parking lots are a good place to stop.

KC

Anonymous said...

Mitch, imagine camping in a Walmart parking lot. Instead of going for firewood, you find some old boxes in a dumpster, supplies for the weenie roast are just a few steps away, you can tell horror stories of bad customer service. Listen to the cars drive by instead of the birds singing. You aren't giving it a chance!

Anonymous said...

Mitch is just angry because Walmart has ignored his pleas for them to open a big/tall men's clothing boutique.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Mitch. It looks stupid and says something about those in said motorhomes. Hey kids, we're going on the Canadian tour of Walmarts. PFFFTTT!!


Chris G