Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Remember When?

Remember when everyone connected with the CFL got uptight over the fact the Buffalo Bills were going to play some pre-season and regular-season games in Toronto. It was the end of the CFL. Buffalo would move to Toronto permanently and snuff out any hope of the Canadian game surviving.

A few years later and does anyone notice the Bills anymore? They will play the Colts at Rogers Centre tonight. Did you know that? There's one reason why you should watch this game---John Chick. End of story!

Rogers botched this right from the get-go. The Bills games north of the border have turned out to be a disaster. Who wins? Once again, the CFL comes out smelling like a rose. The Bills don't excite anyone outside of Buffalo. The novelty factor has worn off and people are realizing its not the glamour they thought it might be. Yes, the Bills have not had great regular-season opponents (Miami and the Jets), but the bottom line is there is absolutely no threat of the NFL making a permanent move north of the border. It isn't going to happen.
-----
The Pats have new "vintage" jerseys to honor teams of the 20's. The Regina hockey fans I talk to would rather see this team pay homage to the teams of the mid 70's and mid 80's. Teams that win! That being said, it is another great gesture by Brent Parker and company as they try to bring the history of this team to the forefront.
-----
The Reediscover Reebok football final has Darian Durant against Jon Cornish of the Stamps. Go to www.reebokfootball.ca to vote.
----
I did what many have done since "the chip" was put into our bank cards. I walked out of a business without my card today. I realized what I had done and went back to the store in question about 15 minutes later. I was told to go to customer service. I told the guy behind the till that I had left my card behind. As he opened up the drawer and pulled out the cards, I couldn't believe it. There had to be about 40 there. He asked what bank my card was. It was then I realized without my name on the front of the card how was I going to do this. I can't just say--oh yeah that one right there is mine. The guy had me sign a piece of paper and then matched the signature with the signature on the back of the card. No harm, no foul! I can't believe the amount of cards he had though. Are that many people leaving their card behind because of modern technology?
----
Lindsay Lohan is on the cover of Maxim Magazine this month? Lindsay is just a freckled mess and is a waste of time--we all know that. Why would Maxim want to put her on the cover when there are many candidates to choose from.
----
The NHL's research and development camp is an interesting one. I don't like the idea of one faceoff dot in the offensive zone, but I do like the hybrid icing idea. That being a rule that is designed to reduce dangerous collisions resulting from a race for the puck. The proposed change gives linesmen the ability to make a ruling on whether a play will be called icing based on which player reaches the faceoff dot first -- rather than who is first to touch the puck. We have seen too many catastrophic injuries take place because of races for the puck on icing. Here's hoping that rule passes. One rule I would like to see changed is a player has to serve his entire penalty no matter if a goal is scored or not. If a team can put home three while you are in there for two minutes, too bad!
-----
Like the Oilers, it looks as if the Cubs are getting ready to start over---AGAIN! I wasn't too happy with the trade that sent Ryan Theriot to the Dodgers and I'm not that thrilled with Derrek Lee leaving for the Braves. Who's next?
----
I don't care if Brett Favre is back with the Vikings or not. That team is not going to the Super Bowl. Their best opportunity to get to and win the Super Bowl went out the window last year when the Saints beat them in overtime. I don't even think Minnesota wins their division. That honor will go to Brett's old team.
----
Does Woody Paige ever win on "Around the Horn"?
----
There are too many Rider fans feeling sorry for Richie Hall. Here's the bottom line---the organization that we were so jealous of in the 70's has finally hit rock bottom and we are now an elite franchise. ENJOY IT AND QUIT GIVING THIS YEAH, BUT ATTITUDE!! They wouldn't be feeling sorry for us in Edmonton if they were winning and we weren't and a former Eskimo was the coach of our team. Richie is a grade A, top shelf individual and I hope better days are on the horizon for him, but seeing the Eskimos thrash about in the muck trying to gain a measure of respectability is enjoyable. Maybe its "The Curse of Hallsy" and he never should have retired.
-----
Here's a question for you. Who gets employed by another CFL team first? Eric Tillman or Danny Macioccia. I think it will be Tillman. Perry Lefko is the latest to pump Eric's tires in his column on Sportsnet. How long will it take before E-T is forgiven by the football community for his misdeeds. I think he is back in the league by the start of the 2011 season and whatever team he grabs control of will be competitive in a very short time. Say what you want about the man, but there is no denying his football knowledge and acumen.
----
Why is vanilla ice cream white when vanilla extract is brown?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ET will be hired long before Maciocia will. He has the football knowledge and connections to turn things around. Maciocia has the ability to turn franchises that are the envy of the league into rubble.

Little Johnny

Anonymous said...

Same thing happened to me in Winnipeg at the Bay Store in Polo Park. I couldn't believe the amount of cards that the girl pulled out of the drawer. She told me that some of them have been there for over a week. Who goes without their bank card for a week?

Anonymous said...

That isn't the only Lindsay that's a freckled mess, and YOU KNOW OF WHAT I SPEAK!!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the garden gnome is qualified enough to work at a MacDonalds. Tillman's football knowledge will have him back in the CFL very soon. He has to have some time out of the spotlight, but everyone forgives and forgets and they will with Eric as well.

Justin

Anonymous said...

Who is Buffalo playing in the regular season? I know of a couple of people who are huge Colts fans who didn't go to T-O because they weren't going to pay big $$ to watch Manning sit on the sidelines for 3 quarters. The whole thing is a joke!

BT

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more on Lindsay!