Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

I Don't Wanna Think The Worst, But I Am



Scott Schultz and I were doing the "Sportscage"thing from the Queen City Ex on Thursday. The creator of "The Moose Jaw Stomp" is outstanding in breaking down the game----one of the reasons for that is because he breaks it down from the defensive side. You see quarterbacks (Dunigan, Aikman, Young) and receivers (Climie, Stegall, Collinsworth) break it down, but very rarely do you get the opinions on the game from the mind of a defensive lineman. You have Tony Siragusa on FOX and the late Merlin Olsen on NBC back in the day, but you don't often hear what a d-lineman is thinking. Its why its refreshing to hear the views of Schultzy. He is very good at what he does and he should be considered for some TSN or Sportsnet work. If Willie Pless can do it, so can Schultz.

Selfishly though, I want to see him stay right on the Sportscage because he is a great addition.

---

Darian Durant's health continues to be the talk of the Rider Nation. I didn't really want to bring this up today, but I didn't know how you can not talk about it. I only scratched the surface though because I don't want to make a mountain out of what could just be a molehill. As number 96 said, no one should be blaming Durant for keeping this private because thats the type of individual that he is and that no football player is 100 percent. In speaking with Rod Pedersen from Montreal, he is concerned about Darian's health saying he isn't looking very good. At what point do we start to ask ourselves how serious this illness is. Driving home from the QCE, I heard Jamie Nye bring up the Fernando Pisani story and how he is still getting over colitis to this day. I don't want to jump to that conclusion that DD has colitis or something just as serious, but at what point do you start to wonder just how serious this virus that he is battling is. I'm a huge Darian Durant fan, and I think he has the potential to do great things for this football team and perhaps be the first quarterback to bring multi Cup championships to Regina. However, if his illness is more serious than he must be shut down and have whatever is needed done to try and cure him. At some point, we must start thinking about Darian Durant the human being and not Darian Durant the quarterback. We all get a little myopic in the Rider Nation sometimes and focus on what is and what isn't happening on the field. Its not just Rider fans that do it. We maybe need to take a step back and hope that what is plaguing Durant is not something more serious---serious enough to the point that his career is in jeopardy. I don't want to think this, but something in the back of my mind says I should be.

-----
Ho-Hum...another night of double digit runs for the Regina Red Sox. They pounded Moose Jaw 12-2. Jordan Mitchelhill had 3 RBI's for the winners while Tony Crudo batted in a pair to go along with 3 hits. Game 2 is in Moose Jaw tomorrow with Game 3 back at Currie Field Saturday. I want to be at these games, but their schedule isn't co-operating with mine right now. That's too bad because Bernie Eiswirth told me I needed some "executive" beer Thursday night. Don't worry Bernie, I'll be there for the championship games and I'm guessing the "executive" beer will still be available.
-----
Ummm....a story in the paper today about the Pats-Hitmen outdoor game in Calgary says there was and perhaps still is talk of an outdoor day of hockey at Mosaic Stadium featuring the Pats against whoever, the Cougars against the Huskies and a Sask midget Triple A game. Gotta give the SJHL some love there too you know. A Notre Dame-Yorkton game would look good at Mosaic Stadium or a Hounds-Red Wings game. Lets not forget the Junior A league in this scenario. I have to look after my product now dont'cha know.
-----
Tiger shoots a four over 74 at Bridgestone. When will he win again? Is he going to break the record for most majors? Will we ever see the Tiger of old or is has his infidelity ruined him?
----
If you want to read a great story on how Madden football was created for EA Sports, then read this. With Madden and NHL 11 coming out with WHL, OHL and Quebec Major Junior teams, I may actually have to break down and buy a Playstation or an X-Box. I have resisted the urge to do so so far.
-----
As is the case every year, going to the Ex can be fascinating if you're a people watcher. Do I have to say any more?
----
Have a good Friday! GO RIDERS!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your line about the exhibition being an eclectic mix of humanity. That's a nice way of saying it!

I gotta disagree with you on Durant. If his ailment was more serious, I think the doctors would have said something by now.

Was at the Red Sox game--that is some mighty fine ball.

JN

CFLjoe said...

I read the madden story. I don't know how much you read but the sad thing is, I had Joe Montana football... (the one that they purposely made more crappy)..and I loved it. I remember how fake punts would ALWAYS work. And every time you did one, the announcer was equally astonished you would be faking a punt. "OH NO, ITS A FAKE!!" he would exclaim. And then first down, without fail.

Anonymous said...

I think the Riders are in for a good old fashioned "sheboccaling" tonight!!

Anonymous said...

Have his doctors known that he was sick. Doesn't sound like it to me. I hope this isn't more serious, but even he admitted the other day he's scared.