Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

What A Night!!

If you were one of the 35-thousand in attendance at Bon Jovi's Regina concert Wednesday night, you are talking about it today, and you are likely saying it was one of those evenings you won't forget for a long time. Kid Rock and Bon Jovi came to Regina and proved to everyone again why they are who they are.



Sitting in the 9th row meant a great night. It would have been better had I been on the 9th row by the West side stands since most of the action was happening there, but hey I'm not complaining. I had better seats than the Mayor. Yes, Pat Fiacco was two rows behind me. I don't know if Canada's coolest mayor was trying to enter a Kid Rock look-alike contest, but he was sporting a hat very similar to the bad ass Detroit rocker. Then again, neither of us had the seats that my Access 7 Pats colour man, Sportscage Co-host and financial planner extraordinaire Kelly Remple had...










There's Kelly waiting for his entourage or trying to somehow snag himself a backstage pass so he can witness some of the degeneracy for himself.

First up was Kid Rock and he did not disappoint as he got everyone revved up for the main event with the high energy performances he can give. He didn't say some of the things he has said about previous concerts which is probably a good thing, but he treated us to a solid show leading up to the main event.







The Snowbirds came from the downtown core for a flyover and they came back for a second one
to get the crowd started up and then it was SHOWTIME! The first appearance of Bon Jovi had the wife energetically punch me in the arm because like many ladies in the crowd she has a deep love for the New Jersey pretty boy(and I mean that in a good way).

From the time he took to the stage, he had the audience in the palm of his hand. He showed why Bon Jovi has sold well over 100 million albums in over a quarter-century of work.





Over two hours and I think about 20-25 songs later, he was done. He did the songs that we all love "Bad Medicine", "You Give Love a Bad Name", "Its My Life" and "Livin on a Prayer". He didn't do "Runaway" which made the wife sad seeing that's her favourite Bon Jovi song and that's twice now that she has seen him and he hasn't done that song.
What was interesting (and I find doubtful) was that when he came out for an encore, he did a new song called "This Is Our House". He claimed it was the first time the band had done the song live and he wanted to use the footage for a video. In fact, they did the song twice. If Regina is in that video, I will be shocked but it takes nothing away from what is a great song. People in our area said what a great theme song this would be for the Rider Nation. If you want to hear it, whether you were there or not, just click here.
As he started singing it the 2nd time, I was already envisioning the video with Durant touchdown passes, Dressler catches, Cates runs and big hits by the D. Someone with the Riders has got to get onto this. This song will catch on in stadiums and arenas across North America, but lets be the first to get our hands on it. Even Jon said he wouldn't mind one bit if the Riders used it so why not!!! Is it too early to have it done for Saturday??
This was the 4th time I have seen Bon Jovi and I thought he was at his best. He didn't run around the way I thought he might, but a calf injury he suffered earlier in the tour may have contributed to that. He said its been 20 years since he was last in Regina, but it won't be another 20 till he's back. If I'm around, I'll be there to see him again and I'm guessing many of you that were there last night feel the same way.








5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When he broke into "I'll be there for You", a guy right in front of me pulled out a ring box and proposed to his girlfriend. It was quite a moment!

Anonymous said...

It wasn't up there with AC/DC and I noticed he was not moving around that much, but I didn't realize he was at less than 100 percent. He was AWESOME and Kid Rock was also very, very entertaining. Good on Fiacco for having City Hall say Bon Jovi as well. I hope Regina does get in that video. He did the song twice so you never know!

I give a thumbs up to the song being adopted by the Riders!!

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitch! Bet you were wishing Jennifer Nettles would have come on stage for "You Can't Go Back"!!

Great show and I have no doubt that he will live up to his word and have Regina in that video. I hope they got shots of City Hall.

Anonymous said...

DAMMIT!! I bet my buddy 50 dollars that he would be wearing a Rider jersey or Rider shirt at some point. The hat at the end and the two Rider mentions didn't cut it.

What a great show it was though! Money well spent!!


JN

Anonymous said...

Knowing Remple he is probably waiting for some guy to pay him after scalping tickets. HA HA HA!!!

Great concert! Not sold on that song being a Rider anthem, but it will be heard in many places.