Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Markus Naslund?

The Vancouver Canucks have announced they will retire the number 19 once worn by Markus Naslund. Really? Retiring the number? Is this how pathetic its gotten in Vancouver. I'm all for the team having retired Stan Smyl's 12 and Trevor Linden's 16, but are you seriously going to tell me that Markus Naslund is an all-time Canuck great. As much as I hated the guy, Pavel Bure's 10 should go to the rafters before Naslund's sweater does. I guess this means its an automatic that Roberto Luongo and Henrik Sedin will get their sweaters retired at some point. Besides Bure, you could retire Orland Kurtenbach--the team's first true star and captain, you could make an argument for Richard Brodeur or Kirk McLean. I think someone has jumped the gun just a little here.
-----
If you want to see what Jordan Eberle is saying at Oilers development camp, check this out.
----
Is it really that big a deal that Wayne Smith is starting for Joel Bell on the 0-line Saturday.
----
Spain vs Holland in the World Cup final. It should be a pretty good one. I'm guessing the Germans are wishing they would have saved some of their goals for the semi-final. I know Regina has places like the Italian Club and the German Club, but is there a Dutch Club or a Spaniards club. I would love to go to one of those places to watch Sunday's final.
----
Paraguay didnt make it to the finals of the World Cup, but that isn't stopping the country's biggest fan from saluting the country's soccer heroes. Check this out. What a trooper!
-----
Someone told me the NFL network says 19 million people saw the Alouette-Riders game on Thursday. Can someone confirm that?
-----
Has anyone seen a CFL ad on the NFL network yet?
-----
I would love to see something upstage the Lebron James announcement tomorrow. Can someone please tell me why this guy needs a one hour special to say where he is going. It will only take him a couple of seconds to say whoever. I've lost a lot of respect for this guy. Not even Kobe would do this....and you know I'm no Kobe fan. Can you imagine if tomorrow afternoon was the day Brett Favre made his announcement. That would be funny!
----
So let me get this straight. An Amber Alert was issued with people being on the lookout for a certain car with a certain licence plate number. That car sat out on the street in front of a Regina home and no one noticed. A call had to be made to police from the home? Do the neighbours of this guy know that a man has landed on the moon? CMON!!
----
Lindsay Lohan is going to spend 90 days in jail. Insert comment here.
----
I love the powder blue Jays uniforms.
----
Have a good one!
----

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, if someone is going to watch the final Holland-Spain and cheering for either (I'll go with Spain) in Vancouver, give a shout!!

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, all of the proceeds from the Lebron show are going to charity. I agree that there is no need for a show, but obviously there is enough interest to make it worth while for some.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think anybody liked those powder blue uniforms. I think they are pretty ugly, but just my opinion. I enjoy the blog

Mike

Anonymous said...

The only place where Wayne Smith starting ahead of Joel Bell is in Saskatchewan. You know that!


perry

Jordie Dwyer said...

Powder blue evokes images of the great days past of the Jays...so I like them.
Can't stand the ugly black ones they have now though.
As for LeBron - who cares, just another guy paid 20 times more than he should be to stand there, jump two feet and dunk a ball.
Lastly, the Netherlands will win, the 'Nucks need to recognize Markus since they have to celebrate something (note: why not recognize Quinn as well) and most people can't be bothered to get involved or remotely seem like they care to look and make a call....a sad commentary on today's society

Anonymous said...

Baseball jersey's are all so bland now, there I no striping or anything and they are black or white. Also, I agree that Kurtenbach should be retired first, but Naslund has earned it. He's at the top of pretty well every offensive category in the record books for the Canucks.

Nick

Anonymous said...

Lots of great retros and I have the Powder Blues and the Phillies baby blues at the top of the list. Atlanta used to have the baby blues too, and those were good.

Vancouver should retire Bure, but he left on bad terms. Harold Schnepts should be hung up there too.

Obama