Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How Much Longer Will It Be?

I hadn't heard about the rumour until Rod Pedersen mentioned it on Tuesday's edition of "The Sportscage", but Rod quashed it in a big hurry with a little help. A story was apparently going around saying the Edmonton Eskimos were ready to offer Eric Tillman a position within their organization. Eric told Rod that was not the case. It made me wonder just how much longer it will be before Eric is involved with another CFL team.

Before I go any further, I just want to say that I have never had a problem with Eric Tillman. He always treated me fairly and with respect. I have spoken to him a few times since his resignation from the Riders. He has given me some advice and he made a statement to me in a conversation we had shortly after his resignation about my dismissal that rings so true and is something I completely agree with. I won't get into that statement, but he definitely hit the nail on the head with it and its something I have quoted to many people.

Can Eric Tillman return to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in some fashion anytime soon? No he can't. This community as a whole simply won't accept that. I understand that and he does too. Do I think Eric Tillman belongs back in the CFL with some team? Yes I do. His track record speaks for itself. When Eric says he is not going to Edmonton, Rider fans should breathe a sigh of relief because he would turn the Eskimos around and he would be a definite improvement over Danny Macioccia. Then again, some would argue Barney the Dinosaur would be a definite improvement over Danny Macioccia.

Do I expect to see Eric in Toronto, or back in Ottawa, or helping guide the first ever Atlantio team in the CFL. Yup! The man's football knowledge and his mind are second to none. He would bring instant credibility to any franchise that was struggling.

I know the mere mention of his name draws forth a tremendous debate--a debate in which good points are made by both sides. I'm not going to get drawn into that debate in this post. All I know is a year off is probably the best thing for Tillman. The issue that forced his resignation in Saskatchewan will never go away and he will have to answer questions about it for a long time, but I think he will be back in the CFL very soon---perhaps as early as 2011. If he starts running the ship of an existing team, look out. If he takes control of a fledgling team, I don't give that team long before they are a contender. A year off the game will not have dulled the mans senses any...it may only have enhanced them.
-----
Tony Crudo had the big hit for the Regina Red Sox Tuesday night. His bases clearing double in the bottom of the 8th keyed a 4 run rally leading Regina to a 9-6 win over Saskatoon. The Red Sox are now 2 up on Melville in the East Division.
----
The Jays can't trade Jose Bautista. If they do, they had better get a LOT for him.
---
Why do I get the feeling this Ilya Kovalchuk contract story is going to become very messy and very ugly. Do you think there should be a maximum amount of years that a player can have a contract for in every sport?
---

Weyburn's Graham DeLaet is getting the expected ink he deserves as the Canadian Open is just days away. A good story on DeLaet is in the Globe. Click here to see that story.

----

Regina police are taking some heat these days for their action or inaction on making some crimes public knowledge. I can see both sides of the argument. What is ticking me off these days is the fact on Saturday I saw some idiot talking away on a cellphone in his truck with not one but two officers passing this guy but doing nothing. Did I miss something here? Is talking on my cell while driving legal again? Was it not close enough to the end of the month to stop this guy? Don't get me wrong, I think police do a good job, but I think they get a little chintzy with some offences and let some more serious ones get away without punishment. Bottom line---I'm not having any "conversations" with them if you know what I mean so I guess all is good. Then again, the latest crime numbers aren't all that flattering even though we are at the lowest crime rate the city has seen since 1991. It just asks the question "Is the glass half-empty or half-full".
------
Look for opportunity. You can’t wait for it to knock on the door. . . . you might not be home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How might 10 minutes of someone's life getting turned upside down affect an organization that may have had multiple GC's in its future? Eric still built a very solid foundation, but I can only wonder 5 years down the line what that foundation will look like and what it could have looked like.

I hope one day the team sees fit to put him in the Plaza of Honor.

Dustin

cjkolt said...

good thoughts on tillman but one question i have yet to hear talked about...will/should tillman be here when they induct the 07 team into the plaza of honour?

Anonymous said...

Tillman deserves to be on that stage with other members of the 2007 team when they are honoured. He played a major role in the success of that team. I am one that believes Eric should still be with the organization, however I do understand the optics that may have created.

Good article on DeLaet. I will be watching him this week. There is no doubt about that. He will win before Mike Weir does.


Rick W

Anonymous said...

The sooner we forget about Eric Tillman and the embarassment he caused us, the better!!