Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

What Did I Say?

Hallo or Guten Tag to everyone reading this sight in Germany. For those that don't know, I can see where and when visits to this blog come in. On the weekend, the readership goes down tremendously compared to Monday-Friday. I was a little surprised when I saw higher than usual numbers and that a lot of people from Germany were checking in.

While I like brats, beer and one of my fellow UFC neanderthals is German, I have no real ties to the country. Hell, they even pulled High Impact Wrestling from the German Club so why the sudden popularity overseas? I mentioned Germany's World Cup loss, but I was very civil in discussing that. Anyhoo, to all of those who may be checking in from Germany today, I say Danke für das Lesen (thanks for reading!)
-----
Tiger starts the final round of the US Open five shots back. He was on his game yesterday. How bout that shot to 18? Can he make up five shots and win. I don't think he can, but this is the US Open and this is Tiger Woods. It should be a dramatic final round.
-----
The Riders and Stamps go at it in Calgary. Its a 1 o'clock start with Rod and Carm being our eyes seeing the game is not televised. I wonder how it feels for the returnees to walk into MacMahon for the first time since that event last November that we don't like to talk about around here. Just get through this game without any major injuries so we can have our full roster ready to go on Canada Day. That is all I ask.
-----
Are the Predators shedding salary? Its obvious they knew they weren't going to keep Dan Hamhuis and trading Jason Arnott away for prospects and picks is a salary dump. Who's next?
-----
The WWE has announced Florence Henderson of Brady Bunch fame will be a guest host on RAW July 12. Florence Henderson? Was Betty White not available? Is Angela Lansbury busy? I'm starting to tire on the guest hosts. At one time I liked it, not so much anymore.
-----
I didn't think Jesse Litsch looked ready last week when he came off elbow surgery after being away for a year as he got pummelled in Denver. Litsch looked more than ready yesterday. He was dominant in a 3-0 win over San Francisco. I still don't think Toronto makes the playoffs this year, but if they make some moves in the off-season, and their young pitchers continue to mature, next year could be the year.
-----
Did you see the pictures of the waterfall where the Trans-Canada highway used to be at Maple Creek? WOW!!! That's leaving more than a mark boys and girls. It will be a while before the trip into Medicine Hat goes through the TC.
----
The Muchmusic Video Awards are tonight with Miley Cyrus serving as a co-host. Is it just me or is Miley going to make Britney look like a choir girl? I think I have told this story on the blog before, but if not. I was in Toronto in 2008 to see the Cubs take on the Jays. It was the same weekend as the MMVA's. I went out Saturday night and returned to the Royal York Hotel around 1230. There was a limo parked outside the hotel and a little commotion inside as I walked in. A bellhop asked me if I could show proof that I was staying at the hotel so I showed him my swipe card for the room and then asked what was going on. He asked me if I recognized a gentleman standing about 25 yards from me. As I looked, I laughed. Yes, getting to the hotel just before me was New Kids On The Block. They were closing the MMVA's later that night. OH BOY!! In fact, the whole show just about got cancelled that night because of a huge rainstorm that hit Toronto about an hour before the show started. There were tornado warnings and everything out. I was going to walk over to the awards just so I could phone my teenage daughter and bug her that I was there, but common sense took over. You knew when the show was over though because there were many wet teenagers looking to get to Union Station so they could take the subway wherever to get home.
-----
Tough one for the Red Sox on Saturday. They allowed 3 in the top of 9 and lost 7-6 to Saskatoon to snap an 8 game winning streak. It was still an enjoyable night to have a couple of beer and chat with some friends. A good crowd was on hand as well which was nice to see. Perhaps people are starting to take notice of this team.
-----
Make sure you phone Dad or do something with him today. I could get into memories of my Dad and my first ever NHL game, and baseball trips and other things, but it would take too long. Lets just say that some of my favourite memories include the big guy. I'm sure its that way for many of you too. I think my six year old daughter has it in her daybook that we are going to watch the Care Bears Movie "Oopsy does It" today. I could watch the Jays, the Cubs, the US Open, soccer, etc, etc, but you know what I'll be watching. Can't wait!
-----

No comments: