Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

Should the CFL Season Start Earlier?

I read a very interesting article on TSN.ca regarding the start of the CFL season and whether it should be moved up to prevent a possible cold weather Grey Cup. You can read the article by clicking here.

I wouldn't mind seeing the start of the season get moved up, but not by too much. I wouldn't want the start of the CFL season being eclipsed by the end of the Stanley Cup playoffs. This country's attention is on the NHL final no matter the teams and with hockey season not ending until mid-June, it makes it tough to open the season up much earlier than it already does. Would you take the chance of having the first Friday Night Football against a possible Game 7 of the Cup final. I don't think Marc Cohon would. However, there would be nothing wrong with teams starting training camp at the end of May to get the season with games starting in the 3rd week of June. This would mean the Grey Cup would be played in late October or early November which would be fine when the game is played in a place where weather could be a factor like Regina, Winnipeg or Edmonton. What do you think?
-----
I know what I was thinking when I heard this story. First off, I don't believe it. Secondly, there is no way this would be allowed. CFL fans would go absolutely bonkers if this idea even got off the ground.
-----
I don't know about you, but those skies looked more threatening tonight than I've seen them look in quite a while. I loved good old fashioned summer storms. I could just sit on the front step and watch them roll through all night long.
-----
France meets the host South Africans at the World Cup on Tuesday. With all the turmoil the French are going through, they wouldn't "give" one to the host country would they. After what I've seen this week, it wouldn't surprise me.
-----
I love Tony Roma's ribs, but I think the ones at Chili's may have taken over the number 1 spot. Did I say may have?
----
The NHL draft can't get here soon enough. Just so I don't have to see Ben Mulroney doing ads for it on TSN. The only way that ad could get better is if Dion Phaneuf laid Ben out.
----
It really doesn't bother me when I see AJ Burnett have a miserable outing on the mound.
----
I'm not really sure why there is such a widespread panic amongst some factions of the Rider Nation tonight in the wake of an 0-2 pre-season. Yes, the green and white did not play well against Calgary on Sunday, but I think Ken Miller will have them ready to go on July 1. In fact, after what happened last year, I don't see Montreal coming within 10 of the green guys. Speaking of July 1, would it really surprise you if that was our "rain" game this year. The way the forecast has been, it wouldn't surprise me. Why isn't that game sold out?
-----
If you bought a lot that neighbours a golf course, why on earth would you complain about errant balls coming into your yard once you start living there. Did you think that wasn't going to happen? Someone needs to explain that one to me.
-----
Have a good Tuesday and remember "The closest to perfection a person ever comes is when he fills out a job application form."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I know what I was thinking when I heard this story. First off, I don't believe it. Secondly, there is no way this would be allowed. CFL fans would go absolutely bonkers if this idea even got off the ground."

I do believe this is called "CBC-style parody" -- not even remotely to be taken seriously.

Mike from Vita, MB said...

I know some would not be in favour, but why isn't the season 16 instead of 18 games? If we had 10 teams, 18 would be appropriate, but with only 8 teams, 16, and maybe 14 would be more appropriate. Two games vs each team is enough. Yes, I know...revenue flow...more $ for the players....I have no problem with that, but the uneven schedule gives some teams an advantage because they play a weak sister more than other teams.

mark said...

"I love Tony Roma's ribs, but I think the ones at Chili's may have taken over the number 1 spot. Did I say may have?"

Mitch, have you ever actually eaten real BBQ ribs, smoked low and slow, instead of the crap served up by the chains?

Anonymous said...

As someone from Ireland, what has happened to France is pure karma baby! They never should have been there in the first place. Looks good on them


Patrick

Anonymous said...

Do the players have a say in when the season starts?

Anonymous said...

Count me in as someone who would love to see the season start in May with the first games going May long. That would be outstanding.


Brian