Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The End Of A Legend?


I've never been a big Mike Modano fan. I wasn't big on him when he played for the Prince Albert Raiders because of my loyalty to the Pats. I didn't like him as a Dallas Star because of those endless playoff series Dallas had with Edmonton. However, I will give credit where credit is due. Mike Modano is a helluva hockey player. With all apologies to Jeremy Roenick fans, Modano is the best ever American player to lace up the blades.
It was thought Modano would retire at the end of this season. His last game in Minnesota saw him don a vintage North Stars jersey and skate around the ice. The Stars said Tuesday they are not going to offer a contract to the 40 year old. It means he's a free agent.
I hope Modano does call it a career, because I don't want to see him playing for anyone else. I would like him to go out in the same way Joe Sakic went out. That being a guy who is a sure fire hall of famer playing his career with one team.
I don't know if any members of the organization have had their sweater retired since the team moved to Dallas, but Modano's 9 should hang from the rafters soon in Dallas.
----
Riders head coach Ken Miller tweeted Tuesday night that Wes Cates will be the starter at tailback Thursday night when the Alouettes visit. I'm OK with that, but as I said in a previous post, Cates needs to perform and not give the coaches a chance to think about putting Hugh Charles in. Do you think we are in for a shootout Thursday? I do. I wouldn't be surprised to see this game end up with both teams in the 30's. I get the feeling we are going to be in for an outstanding game.
-----
TSN 2 had last year's Western final on Monday night. I watched the end of that game. TSN 2 had last year's Grey Cup game on Tuesday night. I watched NONE of that.
-----
I've done a story on Riderville where the Riders say Thursday's game is just a game and they don't want to exact any measures of revenge against the Alouettes for what happened last year. I want to believe them, but I can't.
----
While taping Sport Zone with Pete Paczko Tuesday night, one of the Access boys was wearing a Las Vegas Posse t-shirt. He should wash that thing and head to the stadium tomorrow to get it signed by Anthony Calvillo. Do you think this is Calvillo's last appearance at Mosaic?
----
One of Pete Paczko's guests on Sport Zone was Seahawks punter Jon Ryan. He was on to promote his kicking and punting camp which comes up next month. Details on that camp can be found here. I'm thinking the Seahawks have a chance at rebounding and winning that division seeing Arizona is about to take a fall and the Rams have no hope of contending this year. He said one American publication has them finishing at 2-14. HA! I don't know if I could take a season of that team finishing 2-14. I really have to get to Seattle to see a game while he is still wearing Seahawk blue so he can take me on a tour of the facility. That would be extremely cool! I had a chance to visit the Broncos facility a few years ago and it was something else. The NFL lifestyle and CFL lifestyle are so different. You really have to see it to know what I'm talking about.
-----
Pedersen asked people on his blog yesterday who was amongst their most hated sports personalities. Someone voted for me! YES! I didn't have as many votes as Wray Morrison, but I had one more than Derek Meyers. HA HA!! Thanks for the endorsement Mr. A Nonymous. You can't please them all.
-----
Global ran a story on "Tradio" last night. Yes, Tradio. For those that don't know what that is, its a chance for you to sell your crap over the radio. When I worked in Peace River, "tradio" always came on from 130-2. Worst half hour of radio ever. Actually no it wasn't because if we were in a mischievous mood, we would play havoc with tradio or create fake ads attaching phone numbers of staff members. Who knew that our evening announcer was trying to sell his penis pump? We found out one time that workers at the jail would phone the show to tell whoever how many bag lunches they needed. They would do it by saying they had ____cans of green paint to sell. Once that call came in, I got my girlfriend to phone and say she had another amount of cans of green paint to sell. It confoozed the hell out of whoever. We didn't care! Small town radio. The stories I could tell. There are many! If Big Dog's Tia Daniels is reading, she knows exactly what I speak of since the two of us worked together in Peace River.
-----
Megan Fox is married. Meh! I'm not as big on her as what others are. Maybe its the fact she tied the knot with the former David Silver on "90210". I can't imagine a worse role than having to deal with a princess like snooty thin ugly blonde who thought she was something she wasn't. Yes, I watched "90210". Brenda was such a bitch! I know, I'm sad!
-----
What the h-e- double hockey sticks is Oilers owner Daryl Katz doing in Hamilton. Why is he scoping out Copps Coliseum. I don't have anything to be scared of do I? GULP!
---
If South Africa isn't using any of their soccer stadiums after the World Cup, we would take it here. Those venues are some kind of nice. If we can't have a Dome, I would take something like what we've seen over the last month.
-----
So the Habs trade Jaro Halak making one think the goaltending controversy is over as Carey Price now assumes the number one job. The Habs then go out and get goalie Dan Ellis from Nashville. I really don't think Price starts the year in Montreal.
----
The Pats need some 20 year olds. The Raiders have six of them. HMMMMM????
----

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I speak for many Rider fans when I say TSN can burn the tape of last year's Grey Cup.

The Pats need more than some 20's :)

Greg

Anonymous said...

I've never been a huge Dallas fan either, but Modano is one of the best I've seen--Canadian or American. If he doesn't play, I'm guessing Nidermayer and him will go in at the same time. They should!

Why is it all European soccer stadiums look nicer than all Canadian outdoor stadiums (excluding Commonwealth). How much did it cost to build those?

Greg