Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Are You Ready For Some Soccer!!!!



I can only imagine how my favourite redhead is doing these days. I'm guessing the lovely and talented Sarah Mills is on pins and needles waiting for her beloved England to start play in the World Cup on Saturday against the US. Why wouldn't the British lass be excited. She is as passionate for her country's soccer team as most of us are for a certain football team that wears green. You can't talk down about England. You can try, but you can't in front of her or she will let you have it....especially at this time of year. I jokingly told Sarah a few weeks ago that I would like to take her to Minot for that game and just plunk her in a sports bar. I'm figuring she would kill at least 5 Americans before she was subdued--and critically injure about two or three others. One tip of advice to news director Murray Wood. As it was four years ago, DO NOT SEND Sarah on an assignment during an England game. You may never be the same!!!


The world's biggest sporting event begins today in South Africa. Nationalistic pride will be on display in many places over the next month as the event goes on--hopefully without incident. Italians, Greeks, Germans, Brits, you name it will be watching and cheering for their respective side. Here in Canada, its another year of seeing the world's best compete with our program being nowhere close to being where it needs to be, but many of us will watch and cheer. I don't know why, but if its MLS or the Champions League or the British Premier League, I won't watch, but when its the World Cup or the European Championship, I am riveted. I'll be taking in as much of this event as I can. While part of me will root for England because of Sarah, I am taking Spain (I can just hear her muttering now) and I will cheer for Switzerland just because I have a Swiss soccer jersey courtesy of my wife's best friend who lives there now.

-----

There's a reason why I only believe the information that comes from the guys on the field and not in the stands. I was sitting at work today when my Blackberry started going crazy. Word had it Darian Durant had been injured at Rider training camp. Within moments, it was on a famous fanboard that Durant had broken his thumb and just like that the comments came quickly thus exasperating the situation.

I saw a Twitter from Derek Meyers that did not indicate the thumb had been broken. I texted Rod wondering if he was there. He quickly texted me back that despite what someone had said, the thumb was not broken and it wasn't serious. Guys in the stands are not a credible source, but the guys with the mikes and notepads are in my world. They will get the information right from the horse's mouth and that's what I will go with unless I know the source I get the info from. I have a few friends connected loosely to the organization that will give me some tidbits. I will run with some and throw others to the curb. Speaking of the Durant injury, check this out from the Winnipeg Free Press.

-----

Speaking of throwing others to the curb or perhaps under the bus, I had a chance to listen to the start of Sportsnight on Thursday night and I had to laugh at my old co-host Drew Remenda as he threw Mike Emrick under the bus for his goal call on Patrick Kane's Cup-winner. Drew saying Emrick missed it and that it was brutal. This just in! Everyone who did that game had a brutal call on the goal because no one knew what was going on. TSN played at least four calls of Kane's goal and none of the four indicated that the puck was in the net right away. I thought the criticism was uncalled for and highly unwarranted.
-----
TSN had to run with the Patrick Kane goal and have their top 10 countdown of the weirdest endings in sports. Any guess as to what was number 1??? It involves Damon Duval. I'll just leave it at that! Just seeing that still makes me sick!
-----
Did you see Adam Burish's interview after the hockey game was over? Adam won't be exchanging Christmas cards with Chris Pronger anytime soon. WOW!! No sportsmanship there ladies and gentlemen. If you haven't seen it, here it is....
------
I've been crowing about the Blue Jays starting pitching this year, but while giving a lot of credit to Shaun Marcum, one can't forget about Brett Cecil. His performance in Tampa last night was huge as the Jays salvaged a game from the AL East leaders. Toronto needed that one.
-----
The Regina Red Sox beat Weyburn 6-5. They are now 5-1 on the season and will play Melville tonight at Currie weather permitting. GET OUT THERE!!!
-----
Lotto Max is worth 50 million today. Get a ticket or two!
----
I know I've said it before, but I don't think I've ever seen a better written show than "Arrested Development". That show is just too funny. I can't wait for the movie. Its one of those you will have to see twice because you will miss a lot if you watch it just once.
----
I have had at least a dozen people tell me about the beauty that is Target Field in Minneapolis. I will have to get there. Speaking of which, you can now fly from Regina to Chicago non-stop. That trip to Wrigley is coming soon too. I will be like the kid in the candy store on that day. My digital camera will short-circuit.
-----
As I leave you, I tell you that a commentator is not a talking potato. HAVE A GOOD ONE!!

-----

3 comments:

Soccer Jerseys said...

I am a big fan of Brazil in fact in these days my feelings of watching live Brazil's team my make me more crazy about it. I cannot able to bear the time gape in these days.

Anonymous said...

There's only one football I'm watching and its not the kind happening in South Africa. I just can't go into watching that sport. Not enough excitement for me.

Anonymous said...

Social media (ie:facebook, Twitter, blogs) have changed everything. At one time, we wouldn't have heard about Durant's injury until the next newscast or whatever. Now, I can hear about it immediately if I have the right "friends" or am "following" the right people. In the end though you are right, some guy sitting in the stands tweeting that a thumb is broken when its not can cause chaos. Loved you on the Cage Wednesday. Get back in there on a more regular basis.


Terry C