Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Nice Job Phil!


So let's see, the Masters started with the attention of everyone focussed on the guy who cheated numerous times on his wife, and it ended with everyone's attention focussed on the guy who stayed true to his wife. You could see the emotion when Mickleson hugged his wife Amy moments after capturing his 3rd green jacket. It has not been easy for Phil and Amy. He has missed a lot of tournaments and have had a lot of restless nights as she fights breast cancer, and his mother fights the same disease. You have to feel good for Lefty. At a time when everyone was watching the happenings at Augusta because of Tiger, Phil showed us how you get it done both professionally and personally.
As for Tiger, he finished tied for 4th and then told the world he doesn't know when he'll be back. He was frustrated and you can't blame him after a round on Sunday that had its ups and downs. He also started to shoot back at his critics who don't like his antics after shots. Like I said yesterday, its part of Tiger's game. You just can't take that away. Tiger wears his emotion on his sleeve when on the course and that is something you can't change. If he wants to roll his eyes and curse when he misses a shot and do whatever, I'm fine with that. Throwing his club is something else, but voicing his frustation is fine.
-----
Are you ready for the Stanley Cup playoffs? Who is going to come up big? Who is going to disappoint? The fun starts Wednesday. I'll give you more before the puck drops.
-----
At the start of the NHL season, what would you have said if I had told you Steven Stamkos would finish tied for the lead when it comes to most goals at 51 and that Henrik Sedin would win the scoring race. I thought so.
----
Did NHL fans see the last of Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne last night? One would think we have.
-----
Why did NBC show us a meaningless Boston-Washington game yesterday when the script for the Rangers-Flyers contest wrote itself. A strange decision indeed.
-----
The Oilers have a draft lottery simulator on their website. I hit it 5 times last night and Edmonton is only picking first twice. YIKES! The Oilers can't go any lower than 2nd meaning they will still get Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin, but still.
-----
Did Rod Phillips call his last game with the Oilers? It is believed that the man who has called just about every game in the history of the franchise called his last game in Anaheim last night. I have heard many great calls from Rod and it was great to have him call an imaginary goal when I interviewed him on the Drew Remenda-less sports show one night. If it was his last game, I know of a junior hockey play by play guy who calls the Brandt Centre home that might be interested in the gig. There is no doubt I would support that bid because like I've said with my good friend Peter Loubardias, after many years of doing games with guys that have gone to the pros, it is time for you to do the same thing. I've told you that for years RP and I'll say it again. That being said, I know you have no desire to leave your post with the Riders, and I do respect that. However if you go to Edmonton, you know you will have someone bugging you for tickets.
----
With the season on the line and the Rangers needing a goal to keep the shootout going, John Tortorella sends Olli Jokinen over the boards. Olli Jokinen? WOW! Talk about taking the suicide pill. C'mon Torts, you are a better coach than that. I'd have bet the farm that Jokinen wasn;t going to score.
------
The Calgary Hitmen are off to the WHL East final after polishing off Medicine Hat in 6. I still say the Hitmen win it all this season. They have the best team on paper, but yes, I know paper doesn't win championships.
-----
Congrats to the La Ronge Ice Wolves. They win the SJHL title with a 3-2 win over Yorkton in Game 6 of the final. Will La Ronge ever be the same?
----
The Raptors are done. Does that really surprise you? It shouldn't! I'd like to see Chris Bosh stay in T-O, but why would he. I would not be shocked if Bosh is wearing the purple and yellow of the Los Angeles Lakers next season.
-----
Do you dare take the Sharks in a playoff draft? I'm not. Can Colorado beat San Jose? They will make it difficult for San Jose.
----
The most entertaining matchup of the first round should be Vancouver-LA.
-----
All the Steelers are getting from the Jets for Santonio Holmes is a 5th. Really? Somewhere Mark Sanchez smiles!
-----
Barry Bonds is proud of Mark McGwire for admitting he took performance enhancers. Excuse me while I puke! Thanks for that Barry!
----
The Blue Jays are atop the AL East after one week of the season. Enjoy it!
-----
That's all I got. Have a great week and remember, if you're going through hell, don't stop, just keep going!
----

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think Vancouver-LA will be the best first round series. My money is Pittsburgh-Ottawa.


Terry C

Anonymous said...

The NHL draft lottery is a joke. When the worst team in the league can pick no worse than 2nd there's something wrong. The NBA does their lottery the right way. The NHL should take a page from them and do it that way. Just my two cents.

Anonymous said...

Tortorella leaves Gaborik on the bench and goes with Jokinen. One can only gather Tortorella had money on Philly!

Jordan said...

I think the best scenario for the Oilers would be to get the second overall pick. Because the fans wouldn't get the chance to bash the team on draft day or in the future because they picked the wrong guy. They get whatever guy is left to them, but will still be a good player.

Anonymous said...

Rod Pedersen going to Edmonton would be two things

1) Great for Regina
2) Bad for Edmonton

The sound of screeching cats is more pleasurable.

Anonymous said...

Himpe? Is that you? Shouldn't you be more worried about keeping your three listeners entertained?

Anonymous said...

Mickleson showed everyone you can be good on AND off the course. I'm sure he has some skeletons in his closet too, but you can tell he has genuine love for the game and his family. Something the other guy doesn't have.

Brad

Anonymous said...

I've got no problem with Tiger voicing his displeasure after a shot. It happens all the time. Is he just supposed to go oh well and move on.


Jason

Anonymous said...

It somewhat amazes me how people can come on this blog, and others, and just bash people for no reason. I've seen people bash Pedersen on this blog, and I've seen Mitch get raked over the coals on Rod's. In 99 percent of the cases, the post comes from "anonymous". It makes me believe that either A)Mitch and Rod have really done something to piss off the "anonymous" clan or that B)There are many people out there that just don't have the guts to identify themselves.
Rod is a top-notch broadcaster. If he were to leave Regina, it would create a major void.
I can only wonder what the "anonymous" clan would do if Rod and Mitch were to work together. I would think they would hold some kind of protest outside of the CKRM studios, but then they would have to show themselves, and we know that won't happen.

Mike T

Anonymous said...

Mike T,

Fortunately, we'll never have to worry about that scenario happening.

Ray

Anonymous said...

The Sharks had all those Olympians that didn't get a rest. Take their past record and throw it out the window, but I can't see them winning this year because of the Olympics. The same goes for Detroit. Its why I like Buffalo and Phoenix.

Bruce

Anonymous said...

I stand by my opinion. What's a Himpe?

Clarkenstein said...

If Rod Phillips retires (which is almost a certainty) the job will be filled by Bob Stauffer. It's why he was hired in the first place... to groom him to be Rod's successor.