Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lets See The Fallout On This One

I may have to tune in to John Gormley Friday morning. The talk show host extraordinaire at my past employer will likely be talking about a story that his outstanding producer Tammy Robert has discovered. Its a story that frankly is disgusting, its a story that I hope uncovers the culprits and its a story that I hope results in severe, severe penalties for many. I would explain it, but Tammy has done a great job of doing this on her blog that is on the stations website. Take a read and a look.....

http://www.newstalk980.com/blogs/tammy-robert/are-you-going-to-put-me-on-youtube

Who in their right mind gives beer bottles to a group of 10 year old boys? What "coach" then tells one of those 10 year old boys to have a drink? What tremendous "adult" supervision! Aren't parents supposed to have some level of trust when it comes to their coaches? Did the parents of players on this team know what was going on. Why is alcohol even in a dressing room for 10 year old boys. Talk about going over the line boys and girls. This story goes so far over the line that you can't see the line anymore! Its rather disgusting and its rather sickening.
I don't know what team is responsible for this. It was taken at what Tammy says was a hockey tournament in Humboldt. It shouldn't be hard to figure out. The idiots (and I use that word kindly) responsible for this should be suspended for a long time by the Saskatchewan Hockey Association, local law enforcement should be called in as its obvious alcohol was offered to minors and believe it or not, the kids should also be told their season is over. I realize that is harsh, but if it means parents look to their local hockey board for answers than so be it.
I'm sure the coaches will say it was just harmless fun and we should relax. This isn't harmless fun!There are other ways to have harmless fun! This is just downright stupid. Am I against beer in the dressing room. NO! Am I against beer in the dressing room of a 10 year old hockey team. YES! If you don't have a problem with this, look in the mirror and ask yourself what's the matter and then go to the phone book and make an appointment with therapist of choice.
I can't wait for those responsible to be identified, I can't wait for the reasoning to come out, I can't wait for the reactions of the parents of those involved, and I can't wait for the punishment to be doled out.
----
OK, I'll jump off the soapbox now. Rider fans can't wait for Sunday and the CFL draft. With the number 2 and the number 4 pick, the /=S=/ are in good shape. I am very interested to see what they do with that number 4 pick. My spidey senses tell me they are either going to trade down or they are going to make a deal with a club that might be packaged with a veteran offensive lineman to get a quality defensive lineman. I still believe linebacker Cory Greenwood will be the guy taken at number 2. There are so many places you can go at 4, but if they keep the pick, you just take the best player on your board regardless of the position. Yes, I know the team probably has an excess of offensive linemen already, but perhaps one of those linemen will be used in a post-draft trade to get that d-lineman.
------
Game 1 of the San Jose-Detroit series goes to the Sharks. Three goals in just over a minute sent San Jose on their way. They did a goal from Dany Heatley, but they need a lot more from their big guns if they are going to win this series. A lot more!
------
You knew this was coming......




If you see a Habs fan watching this, please give him or her something to wipe their eyes.
------
One in four PGA golfers asked think Tiger has taken performance enhancers. Yeah, that's going to improve the old image. The website "Sports By Brooks" also reported Thursday that Tiger has slept with over 120 women while married Who does he think he is...Dan Plaster? Oh right, Dan hasn't been married. In all seriousness, Sports by Brooks says Tiger had to write a list of the women he had slept with while at his sex rehab clinic. Really? He has to name everyone. I'm sure he forgot one or two. Do you know how many women you've slept with? What were their names? How long ago was it? Never mind!
-----
Gas is now 1.07 a litre in Regina. Is there some place worse than hell that executives in the oil industry can go to when they are done!
-----
One of the best to ever wear Seahawk blue is calling it quits. Walter Jones will be enshrined in Canton. Here's a stat for you on Jones. On 5,703 pass attempts over 13 seasons, according to coaches stats, Walter Jones was called for holding 9 times and surrendered 23 sacks.
-----
I was in Legends Sports Memorabilia store on Thursday. Why do I torture myself by going into places like that. If I ever win the lottery, that is the first place I'm heading.
-----
The Weather Network says snow this weekend? C'mon!
----
A happy 26th birthday to my favourite Regina establishment-Tumblers! I have spent many dollars in that place and have had many good memories in there. Many, many good memories. I may have to head down there today and get one of Regina's best pizzas courtesy of Jim Baiton and crew.
-----
As you go into your Friday, I leave you with this....

If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon Mitch, your dad didn't give you your first beer at 10? Seriously though, this is taking it about two or three levels below stupid. As a parent, I would be outraged over this behaviour. It sounds like it wasn't just one coach, but a group of them. The one 10 year old seemed to have the most common sense and maturity in the room. What does that tell you? Whoever is responsible shouldn't be allowed to coach kids at any level of sport ever again. Jail time would also be good.

Ron

Anonymous said...

"What "tremendous" adult supervision!" Wrong word Mitch, unless you're all of a sudden trying to be sarcastic in the blog amidst all your serious talk. Hard to tell, but I think the better word here is horrendous.

Mitchell Blair said...

Its sarcasm!

Anonymous said...

I think you're over-reacting a little. if the kids come out of the room drunk that's another thing, but they didn't. Take a step back!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Sounds like those responsible have been found and dealt with. The guy Gormley is talking to sounds to me as if he's part of the whole thing. He's actually trying to defend this guy even though he's been suspended.

Anonymous said...

As if kids don't get enough pressure put on them from peers about drugs or alcohol, they have to deal with it from coaches and parents too? Disappointing to say the least.

Little Johnny

Anonymous said...

As the parent of an 11 year old hockey player, I can't imagine the thought process that goes into doing something like that. I've dealt with some painfully stupid people in my day. These coaches would fit right in.

If that happened with my son's team, the coach would be using the beer bottle as an enema.

Anonymous said...

Knowing Gormley, he will find a way to blame this on the NDP!
Seriously, this is just stupid! If I want to give my 10 year old son a beer (which I don't), I will do it, not someone else. As a parent, I would be wanting some words with this coach who shouldn't be allowed to coach again anytime soon.

TT

Anonymous said...

Mitch....after seeing that video...I'm gonna cry....*wiping a tear on the sleeve of his rouge, bleu et blanc chandail*

Anonymous said...

Legends is a bad, bad place for a man to walk into by himself. It can be devastating on his VISA card. Trust me!

Tumblers does have Regina's best pizza without a doubt. I ordered many after a Friday night at Checkers.

Stupid doesn't even start to define what happened in Humboldt. WOW!

Have a good weekend!

Brent

Anonymous said...

Tumblers Pizza is not just Regina's best, it is Canada's best. I have lived in eight places over my 37 years and I have never had a better pie than a Tumblers pie. Now I want one!


Jamie

Anonymous said...

Chris. I'll bet you a gagillion dollars, you don't have children.

Am I right ?

Anonymous said...

Hey Mitchie the link is dead. Could it be that writing a blog about exploited children that included the blogger exploiting the same children by posting pics of them was found just as creepy and inappropriate???

Any thoughts???