Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Dead Zone Has Hit

There's just nothing that exciting to talk about right now. The CFL draft is a few weeks away as is the NFL draft. The NHL is winding down to the end of the regular season as is the NBA. While opening day in baseball is great, there's no real discussion topic and that could be said for many events. However, there are a few things that have caught my eye over the last couple of days.

1)If it is now almost a certainty that a new stadium is going to be built in Winnipeg. then it is time to say a new stadium will be built in Regina. I'm reminded again of the Facebook group for those who support a new facility. It is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=39644763684

2)Speaking of Facebook, a movement is underway to get Pat Burns into the Hall of Fame before cancer takes him from us. I'm all for this. The group is http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108020299222767&ref=search&sid=726755478.3480496194..1&v=info

3)Why is there so much excitement for Tiger Woods' press conference at the Masters on Monday? Does anyone think we are going to get a piece or two of the salacious information that many are craving? All we are going to hear is how Tiger wants to add another green jacket to his resume. If I was in the room, I would love to know why he didn't just come clean in the hours after his accident and say he and Elin had a domestic dispute. Having done that would have saved him a lot of credibility and $$$$. In fact, I don't know if this scandal would have hit had he said that.

4)Are Regina police looking for people talking on their cellphones? Over the last week, I have seen a least a half dozen people talking on their cellphone while driving which is now illegal. Granted, I haven't seen a cruiser near anyone that I have spotted talking while driving, but it is a question worth asking since many are breaking the rule.

5)The Carlene Walters story had the sad ending that many thought would occur. It just took the spring melt to find the body of the Regina woman who just wandered away. I can't imagine what the family of this woman has gone through over the last three months hoping for a miracle, but realizing that the worst may have happened, but having no idea where she is. While I and many others are sympathetic over the final chapter, we are at least happy that this family can have closure. Its something other families don't get for one reason or another.

6)Expanding the NCAA mens basketball tournament to 96 is a major mistake. One that won't be able to be corrected once done. Greed is the only reason for this move being made. Having 64 teams was perfect. Having 96 just screws things around. Everyone might as well get in now. Then again, what should I expect from an organization who refuses to have a true national championship football game.

7)Are there any Blue Jays fans out there who are feeling optimistic about this season?

8) The best April Fools gag that might not have been publicized came from the Edmonton Oilers. They tried telling reporters through assistant coach Tom Renney that goaltender Devan Dubnyk was going to play center tomorrow night in Dallas. It was all over their website. I'm surprised the networks didn't pick up on it.

9)I'm not a religious guy, so Good Friday never meant a lot to me until 1997. That is because on the Thursday before Good Friday in that year was the day that I started going out with my wife. (13 years??!!). I'm glad I cancelled my plans on that evening to wait for a possible phone call and I'm also glad I cancelled a date I had with someone else the next night. She remains my first choice when it comes to the shootout if you know what I mean----and I think you do! Her only problem is she has no taste in men!

10)I'm only in two fantasy baseball leagues this year. That is much more manageable than the many fantasy football leagues that I get involved in.

I'm guessing many of you have a long weekend ahead of you so enjoy it. If travelling, keep it between the lines. It looks like a great weekend to be outside. Are the golf courses open? Who's kidding who, the spring melt means the backyard is a mess. I guess its time to supervise the wife as to what should be worked on first. WHAT?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see Pat Burns get into the HHOF, but is there not a waiting period that one must go through. Perhaps it can be waived in his case. It might be the last honour he gets before he dies.

The whole Tiger Woods story just bores me. Everything that is being done is so scripted. He will be protected at the Masters. If he doesn't do well, he will disappear again for months. If he does well, all will be forgotten. The question I would ask him is "Did you think you were never ever going to get caught?"

Tracey needs a new agent. Her "no-trade clause" should be up by now.