Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

One More Chance



What has been a disappointing season for the Regina Pats will come to an end this weekend. The failure of the team to reach the Western Hockey League playoffs for a second straight season has many feeling quite agitated.

On Friday night, we will get our last look at the 2009-2010 edition of this hockey club when they play host to the Brandon Wheat Kings. It’s a game that we will have for you live on Access 7. More importantly, it’s the last game in a home uniform for one of the best players this organization has ever trotted out in its long and storied history.

I don’t have to tell you what type of hockey player Jordan Eberle is and I don’t think I have to tell you what a stellar young man this individual is. Even if you are not a hockey fan, you know of Eberle’s heroics. His play at the World Juniors the last two years catapulted him into the status of a national hero. He is the best junior hockey player in this country.

I’m sure Friday will be an emotional one for him as he drives to the Brandt Centre for the last time to play a game in a rink he has called home for the past few years. I’m sure it will be emotional when he skates on the ice for the last time and when he has that last shift. One only wonders what thoughts will cross his mind as he prepares to take off that sweater in his stall for the last time.

One can also only wonder what type of salute the Regina hockey fan will give this young man. The team’s inability to reach the playoffs again has many criticizing general manager Brent Parker. Many place the blame for the team’s inability to make a long playoff appearance at Parker’s feet. The anger has some saying they will not be back next year and some have already decided to stay away.

I don’t care if you are angry at Parker or not. I understand your frustration, but Friday night is not about Brent Parker. It’s about Jordan Eberle. A player of his calibre is rare. It has been a treat and a privilege to watch this young man spin his magic during his time in a Regina uniform

There would be no better way to say thank you to Eberle and express your appreciation by being at Friday’s game. Having a sold out crowd would be a way for Regina to say thank you and best wishes in the next stage of your career. The next time you see Jordan will be on TV, yes, you can watch Jordan on TV Friday night, but if you are a hockey fan, you won’t be watching Kelly Remple and I call his last game, you will be there for yourself.

Don’t let your disgust over what’s been a terrible season keep you away from a game you simply have to be at. The Regina hockey fan is a smart hockey fan so I know I'll see many of you there.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SELL IT OUT

Anonymous said...

x2

Kevin

Anonymous said...

The media will come up with more reasons to come to the rink next year in spite of Brent. It will be to see Jordan Weal and Garrett Mitchell or these kids work hard, don't hold it against them. Until BP is gone, I'm done...well almost. I am going to the game Friday night because I do want to see Ebs one more time...it just makes me sick that BP gets my money at all.

Anonymous said...

If Jordan gets his 50th tomorrow, (and I hope he does) it would be nice to see the Brandt Centre erupt into a long and lengthy standing ovation. He deserves it! I know I'll be standing.


Darren

Anonymous said...

A hometown player of Jordan's ability doesn't come around every day. He deserves to play his last game at home in front of a sold out crowd. Tomorrow will be my last Pats game until Brent is relieved of his GM duties. I have been going to games since 1992, but I said last year was not Derkatch's fault and that if they didn't make the playoffs, I would not be back.