Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

That's Hockey!

The Pats-Warriors rivalry doesn't have the intensity it used to have, but the two teams gave us a glimpse of the past on Friday night in what was the best WHL game of the year at the Brandt Centre this year. There was an edge in the building as 65-hundred showed up to watch the home side beat the Warriors 3-2 in a nailbiter.
Regina outshot their opponents 31-9 in the first, but they were up by only one as it was 2-1. The 2nd goal by Andrew Reider was one of the nicest if not the nicest goal of the year for the Pats. It stayed 2-1 until less than five minutes to go when Jason Bast tied it. With it starting to look like overtime was on the agenda, Carter Ashton sent the majority of those in attendance home happy when he put one past Brandon Glover with just a buck 34 to play.
Those at the game and watching it from the comforts of their living room on SHAW and Access saw an outstanding game by two teams who weren't willing to give up a lot. Great hits, good scoring chances, a few tussles, a contest that wasn't decided until the waning moments. It had it all!
Regina is now five points back of the 8th place Raiders and Broncos. Swift Current picked up a big two points in Saskatoon with an overtime win. P-A lost to Kootenay 4-1.
-----
Kim Flaman was running the music at the game last night and I applaud her selection of tunes(although I could really do without "Sexy Chick" when the ice girls come on to do their thing as I hate that tune). She reminded many that Motley Crue had been in town by playing a little Crue and at one point, she even went way back and played some retro as a little Platinum Blonde echoed through the Brandt Centre. Who's kidding who, I loved this tune back in the 80's.....



-----
There's a lot of excitement for the Trans-Canada clash that goes later today in Moose Jaw. I'm looking forward to it as well. I saw Kelly Remple at last nite's game and he looked a little nervous. I don't know if he was just caught up in the great game that was unfolding or if he was thinking about tomorrow. I'm positive TC 3 will be as successful as the first two. The Civic Centre will be sold out for the game. Rob Carnie is going to do play by play on Country 100 (C'mon Carns---break out the Brother Love suit for this one!!) and I will have play-by-play of the contest for Sasktel Max Local on Demand. It will be up for broadcast midweek. I've often heard its challenging doing a game from the Crushed Can. I guess I'm about to find out. Going to the Civic Centre means having the best rinkburger in Saskatchewan. I don't know what they do to make their cheezeburgers so good there, but they are.
------
Its a busy Saturday. Hockey Night in Canada will bring its annual Hockey Day in Canada presentation from Stratford, Ontario. Do you know that is where Wayne Gretzky scored his first goal? The first game will have the Canucks in Toronto. It will be interesting to see how the Canucks treat the HNIC personnel. They are still choked over Ron McLean's "hatchet" job on Alex Burrows a couple of weeks ago. I hope it doesn't take away from the HDIC festivities. I still put down that Saturday in Shaunavon when Ron and Don showed up for the Hockey Day in Canada there. Its an event I will always fondly remember. I'll never forget the scene when Don Cherry pulled up in front of the Shaunavon rink in an RCMP van. You would think it was Mick Jagger!
-----
The Scotties Tournament of Hearts begins in Sault Ste. Marie. Amber Holland is carrying Saskatchewan's colours and she is considered as one of the favourites. She will be in tough though as Kelly Scott, Krista McCarville and defending champ Jennifer Jones will all be right in there. The winner goes to the worlds in Swift Current.
------
An interesting day in the CFL. The Ti-Cats cut Nick Setta. I don't know the reasoning behind that. The Lions give Brent Johnson a contract extension. Johnson is one of my favourites. He's a modern day Bobby Jurasin in my opinion. BC also cut Jason Jimenez and Javier Glatt. I wonder if the Riders might be interested in Glatt's services. He got in Wally's doghouse last year and never got out of it. If the Riders lose Tad Kornegay to free agency, (and for some reason I think they will)could Glatt be a replacement. He won't bring the versatility that Kornegay brought, but he will bring some other things. He's a great special teams player as well and he's a friend of Jason Clermont so maybe JC can convince him to come if there is some interest. Meanwhile, the Argos have apparently offered their head coaching job to Montreal offensive co-ordinator Scott Milanovich.
----
Rider fans and CFL fans will be waiting for the official release of the schedule. I love the fact that the Alouettes will be here to open the 2010 season on Canada Day. I was hoping that would happen and it has. Usually when Montreal comes to town, the fans aren't into it as much as they are when a Western rival is here. I don't think it will be that way this year! Is that one already sold out? It won't take long!
We will also find out Monday what team is going to Moncton to play the Argos. I thought it might be the Riders and that the Rider Nation could help the CFL set up base in the Maritimes, but now I'm thinking it won't be. Word would have leaked out by now. I'll put my money on the Alouettes.
------
Graham DeLaet will get the weekend off. The Weyburn golfer did not make the cut at the Farmers Insurance Open at the Torrey Pines course near San Diego. He had a rough day shooting a four over 74 for a two day total of four over 144. No problem though as Graham has shown he is more than capable of playing with the big boys.
----
Kurt Warner has had enough(unless he has gone to the Brett Favre school of waffling). The Cardinals quarterback called it a career after a dozen years. I hated this guy when he played for the Rams, but I also respected him because he was damn good. One has to wonder if this guy would have ever seen the field had it not been for Trent Green suffering a season-ending knee injury in the Rams first pre-season game in 1999. I remember a St. Louis columnist declaring the season was over because this nobody was coming in to quarterback the team. I wonder if that columnist(I don't remember his name) still has that column. I wonder if Warner autographed it for him. He went from stocking grocery shelves to becoming one of the top quarterbacks in NFL history. He had a renaissance in Arizona getting them to the Super Bowl last year and he showed this year he can still get the job done. There is no doubt that his bust will one day reside in Canton.
-----
As you go into the weekend, ask yourself this....
Why don't you ever see the headline "Psychic Wins Lottery"?
-----

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you didn't see, Saskatoon 4100 last night. Regina 6500. I wonder what the excuse is today.

Anonymous said...

Kurt Warner is definitely hall of fame material. One can argue he has had a better career than Favre.


JN

Anonymous said...

Comparing Brent Johnson to Bobby Jurasin. Isn't that a bit of a stretch!

Clermont has probably told Glatt that Regina is the last place he wants to be. I'm guessing JC isn't back in 10 and really why would he want to be considering the "production" he had last year.

The LP says Cortez is going to the NFL. What will Hank and his group of idiots do now?

Anonymous said...

I might have been wrong about the Pats. They could make the playoffs after what I saw last night. Hope they can keep it up in the Jaw tonight.

Anonymous said...

No way Regina had 30 plus shots in the first period. Maybe 30 shots direted at the net, but not 30 on net.