Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Sixpack Looks Possible

They might not have the likes of Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Evander Kane and many others who could be wearing the Canadian jersey, but our World Junior team looks like they are ready to take on the world again and try and make it six straight titles. It wasn't the most pleasing game to the eye, but Canada rallied to beat the Czechs 3-2 at the Brandt Centre Wednesday night. Canada allowed their opponents to get the first before Taylor Hall, Gabriel Bourque and Jordan Eberle all scored to take control. A Czech goal in the 3rd made it interesting in the end, but in the end, Canada finishes pre-tournament play with a perfect 3-0 mark. The team got on the bus right after the game and headed up to Saskatoon. They begin the tournament Saturday afternoon against Latvia.
------
Another sold-out crowd at the Brandt Centre. That is a good thing. The bad thing is have people forgotten how to get out of there in an orderly and smooth fashion. I don't think its ever taken me as long to get out of the exhibition grounds as it did last night. The reason was people just weren't using their heads when it comes to getting out. Most nights the traffic flow seems to go alright as people are courteous enough to let merging traffic get in but not last night. The parking lot was a gong show. I'm not saying someone is needed to guide traffic, but if its going to be like last night for the rest of the tournament, they may want to consider it. Of course it won't be needed if many stop acting like jackasses and allow everything to move smoothly---the way it used to be.
------
While waiting to get out of the parking lot, who should come rolling by me but the TSN play by play crew of Gord Miller and Pierre McGuire. They threw their belongings into their vehicle and then Gord got in the drivers seat to wait along with everyone else. Gord Miller is driving a vehicle at this event? He doesn't have a driver! I find that amazing. Do Gord and Pierre drive to their assignments at rinks throughout North America with one rental vehicle after another. I seriously thought they would use a cab or have someone drive them, but I didn't think Miller would be driving himself. I like that! By the way, TSN is going to broadcast a number of games from Regina during the tournament. Who is doing those games? Will it be Gord and Pierre from Saskatoon? I hope not because you need the play by play talent in the building to make it look good and work well. I don't think Chris Cuthbert would be called into action because he will be doing NHL games so perhaps we will get a dose of Ryan Rishaug or Dave Randorf.
------
There were some empty seats in the rink last night and I'm guessing those that had those seats may have been out-of-towners. What a brutal day to be on the road whether it be in Regina or on the highway. That pre-Christmas dump of snow made travel extremely difficult as I'm sure you know. Being out and about yesterday, I just about saw several accidents and yes, I could have been in one or two of them. I just about had a guy slide through an intersection into my beast but he managed to stop in time. I just about slid out into another lane while trying to get my car under control after a turn on the icy roads. It was just one of those days. I'm guessing those at SGI will be pretty busy when they get back to work on Monday if not tomorrow morning when they put in what I'm guessing will be a half-day before getting out of there to enjoy Christmas.
-----
Speaking of getting out to enjoy Christmas, that is what I'm going to do. Chances are there won't be another update until Boxing Day. To all readers of the blog, I really do thank you for checking things out on a daily basis. It is appreciated. Have a Merry Christmas, and if you are travelling, please stay between the lines and avoid having your name mentioned on TV or radio for all the wrong reasons. To those going to the World Juniors in Regina, see you at the rink! I'll be the guy trying to learn those Austrian names.

2 comments:

Glenn said...

Merry Christmas Mitch ! I enjoy reading your blog every day even though we moved to BC. Keep up the great work !

Glenn

PK said...

Merry Christmas Mitch & family!

PK