Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Defending 33

I was out and about through the city today and just about everywhere I went, Chris Szarka’s name came up with many people asking me what I thought about the fact that the Rider fullback is now a Regina city councillor. Some agreed with me when I said I think its great and some disagreed saying the only reason he won is because he is a member of the football team. Really? Do you think people in Ward 10 put their X besides Szarka's name because he wears green and white? Suggesting that is an insult to the people who voted for Szarka. People who are smart enough to realize that what they did was not a popularity contest (although one could argue that any election is a popularity contest)Yes, Chris is a celebrity, and I think he will admit that status probably did garner him a few votes. However, his part-time day job is not the reason they elected him. They elected him because they felt he could do the job that in their minds, the incumbent Gerry Flegel wasn't doing. Those who feel Chris is going to be a disaster don’t know what they are talking about or are a member of the Flegel or Mike Cassano camp. I don’t know how they can base their argument on someone who has never done what he is about to embark on.

I do not live in Ward 10, but I know a few people that do. Everyone told me they were glad the incumbent Jerry Flegel was getting some competition because they were dis-satisfied with the performance he had given. Two people told me that they had concerns that he said he would get answers to, yet those concerns are still un-answered. It would seem to me if this is the case that Mr. Flegel wasn’t representing his ward very well and that there was some discourse. Chris lives in Ward 10 and perhaps felt that dissension. Knowing that he wants to give back to the community that has become his home, he wanted to initiate change so he decided to run. Those that I know who live in the area also tell me that Chris did the best job amongst the three and that 3rd place finisher Mike Cassano also did a great job with Flegel perhaps taking the attitude that I am the incumbent and could run on his laurels.

I know Chris off the football field as well as on it. I feel he will be a tremendous ambassador for Regina. He might make a mistake here or there, but don’t all rookies do that at some time? Those who are dooming him to failure before he has even attended a council meeting are not being fair. Those who are suggesting his only reason for winning is because of his other job are simply not giving him a chance. Let Chris do his thing. Lets see what ideas he can bring to the table and lets see if he can do for people in Ward 10 what Mr. Flegel must not have been doing.

Is everyone in Ward 5 that wanted Bill Gray to win bemoaning the fact that John Findura is now the new councillor for that area today? If they are, I’m not hearing it. Like Flegel in Ward 10, people in Ward 5 decided to make a change for one reason or another. There is change in just about every election much like there is change in a team’s roster from year to year. Having the same people or the same roster all the time creates stagnation.

I also wonder if some of those who are upset in Ward 10 today even voted. Many people decided not to vote for one reason or another. Are these the people now raising their voice. If you didn’t vote, then shut the hell up. You had your chance and you decided not to capitalize on it.

Bottom line, I think Chris Szarka will be a good councillor for the people of Ward 10. He didn’t do this as a publicity stunt, and you know he didn’t get into this to embarrass himself. He did this because he feels he can make life better for those in his area. He will be fine. If he isn’t, he will find out in three years time when the next civic election comes around. Anyone who is going to put Szarka under the microscope must put Findura under the microscope as well as they are coming into this challenge together. Just because one has a higher profile than the other means absolutely nothing now.
------
Just some other thoughts. The book on the history of the Regina Pats released today is a book I have not seen, but is one I will be getting. If Darrell Davis' name is attached to it, you know it has to be a good read. I'm sure Darrell and Scoreboard Ron Johnston have given Regina hockey fans a great capsule on the history of the Pats. I look forward to thumbing through that one. I get the feeling the first few months of 2010 will be spent doing a lot of reading. There are a lot of books that I want to read and this one just adds to what already is a long list.

With the Moose Jaw Warriors celebrating their 25th anniversary this year, someone should do a book on the first 25 years. It too would be a great read.
------
Honest to god I saw this bumper sticker on a minivan in front of me Thursday afternoon. It read "I'm a Hockey Mom and I'm Easy!". Nice! No, I didn't get a look at what was behind the wheel. I might not have wanted to.
------
Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols says he wants to stay in St. Louis forever. Albert, have you forgotten who your hitting coach is this year? If you start pumping them out of the park, people may be asking you what else Mark McGwire is teaching you.
-----
Umpires in these baseball playoffs continue to make a good argument for instant replay. Umps ruling Ryan Howard caught a ball last night that turned into a double playwhen it was obvious he didn't. I think there is going to be a huge call for replay to be expanded in baseball this winter and the umpires are doing nothing but helping the cause of those that want it with their blatantly missed calls this post-season.
-----
The best thing from last night's Game 2 of the World Series. An ad for 24 as a new season starts in January. YESSSS!!!!!! When will the world learn that you don't screw around with Jack Bauer! Best show on TV hands down in my mind!
------
I wonder how much business this strip joint is getting?

Is this a place you want to be in?
------
One other question I've had all week and I keep forgetting to put it on here. How the hell did Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez get that hot dog last week and how did he pay for it?

Have a good Friday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Ward 10. I voted for Chris and it had nothing to do with him being a Rider. He came to my door, he discussed some concerns I had and he told me what he would like to do if he were to win. I put my faith in him by voting for him. If I am still in Ward 10 in three years and I like what he's doing, I will vote for him again if he runs. If I don't like what he's done, I won't vote for him. That is how democracy works. Perhaps Mr. Flegel didn't do enough to get voters out to the polls, but I guess everyone connected with the civic election is guilty of that.

Anonymous said...

I live in Ward 10 and sorry to burst your bubble but it was a straight out popularity contest! The only reason a fair share of people in this Ward voted for Szarka was based on his name and Rider recognition. I talked to many of my neighbors & people in the area today and they said well I voted for him because he seems like a nice guy and or top reason well he is on the Riders. Makes me wonder if he ran for Mayor would he beat out Mayor Pat too? I wouldn't be surprised, as he is a Rider and all which must mean he's qualified for the job!

Anonymous said...

Beating out Mayor Pat? Yeah whatever! Bottom line here is Chris decided to take a run at civic politics for whatever reason. I don't think he thought he would win because of who he is but because of what he will and can do as an elected leader. From what I have seen, he is well-spoken and he's not in this to embarrass himself. Good for him and bad on those who are trying to throw cold water on his efforts.

Anonymous said...

I didn't vote, but there is a reason for that. 1)It was clear to everyone Fiacco would win and I support Pat. Had he been challenged by someone worthy, I would have cast my X
2)I live in Fougere's ward and no one wanted to run against him. Thats probably because he is doing a great job in my area. I look at most of the councillor races in the city and they were two man affairs, but in Ward 10 there were three. That shows me that some wanted to get rid of Mr. Flegel because he wasn't doing the job. Chris stepped in and got the job. If in three years, he runs again and its uncontested, he will have done a tremendous job. If more than one person runs against him, it will show he was a failure. Isn't that what all elections are about?

Mike

Anonymous said...

The umps missed two calls last night. Utley was safe on the inning ending double play in the 8th. While Howard's "catch" may not have played a role in the final outcome, this one did.
The umpiring in these playoffs have been terrible. Use instant replay if you have to for everything but balls and strikes.

Darrell

Anonymous said...

I saw that van on Tuesday night. It was going down Rochdale probably coming from the Wickenheiser. I'm guessing she has some stories to tell.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Did that picture come from your GC trip to Montreal last year??