Pages

Sunday, August 9, 2009

WWE and UFC All In One Night/Riders Get Hosed



Its WWE diva and Playboy cover girl Maria. She was in Regina last night as the WWE made a much overdue stop at the Brandt Centre. Its not every day you see a Playboy cover girl get into a catfight in Regina is it?? You don't see that at JD's or the Pump every night. Catfight yes, Playboy cover girls---NO!!!!
Evraz Place employee, Vikings fan and all around good guy Josh Shaw tells me at the end of the night that 38-hundred people came out for the show. I had seen Josh earlier in the evening, but he had ignored me. I had figured he thought he was too good for me now after meeting MC Hammer last week while I sadly stayed home. He said he hadn't seen me. Due to the fact the lights were not on inside the facility, I took his word for it. Once my conversation ended, my friends chastised me for not convincing Josh to get us backstage to meet some of the performers. I deserved the abuse!!
-----
While some of Smackdown's more high level stars like Rey Mysterio Jr, Jeff Hardy and the lovely Michelle McCool did not show, it was still alright. Here's a quick rundown.

--the daughter of former Stampede Wrestling and WWE star Jim Neidhart, Natalya, is now working for Vince MacMahon. She looks a lot like Mom which is a good thing. However, as Saskatchewan's Sexiest Blogger--or should I say the self-proclaimed sexiest blogger Tyler MacMurchy let her know. "Hey Natalya, you're cute, but you got stuck with your dad's ass". Moments later as she stood on the ring apron, and he stood 15 rows back, I think they shared a moment as there was a meaningful gaze between the two of them. At this point, Norm and Kaleb and I decided not to leave Tyler alone in case he headed for the upper reaches of the Brandt Centre.

--I don't know who the girl was doing the announcing, but I am convinced she was not wearing underwear. I'm just sayin'

--Irishman Fit Finlay comes into the ring to fight some ECW schmuck that I've never heard of before. Fit Finlay is 51 years old and he takes a good beating from the schmuck--aka Drew McIntyre. I think to myself and say aloud that a 51 year old man is taking a beating in the ring, while somewhere a 61 year old man recovers after falling off a stage thus disappointing Regina music fans. Rather ironic is it not???

--Ricky Ortiz did not perform. This is too bad because Ricky Ortiz used to be former Saskatchewan Roughrider Rich Young. The reason Ortiz/Young did not perform is because Vince gave him his walking papers this week.

--The "Shaman of Sexy" John Morrison goes up against Dolph Ziggler. Ziggler is just downright gay---he's so gay that he's ghey. I think momentarily of someone I used to deal with on a day-to-day basis. I then get afraid because I'm sitting beside "Saskatchewan's sexiest blogger" and wonder what happens when these two men are within 200 feet of one another. The answer "It would be like in Ghostbusters when the light sabers cross paths.". I fear for my life for the rest of the match.

--I don't know if there was a red carpet event before the festivities started, but there should have been. Rob Vanstone was there, (Why he wasn't selling copies of what I'm sure will be his best-selling book remains a mystery to me. )former Rider football operations co-ordinator--now SGI communications guy Tony Playter is there along with his brother Kevin, CBC anchor Costa Maragos, and Rider players Stevie Baggs, Omarr Morgan and I think it was Steven Jyles were there. Obviously, a night of dignitaries. I'm sure Premier Wall was there with his John Cena t-shirt.

--I could have purchased a Santino Marella shirt, but I declined. This is a decision that may haunt me for many, many years. I fear I have let a once in a lifetime opportunity get away.

--Do white kids that wear their hats backwards think they are cool?? Really!! I have a word for them and its not cool!!!

--A member of the tag team "Cryme Tyme" throws his shirt into the stands. It prompts a fan to yell he does a better job of throwing than Darian Durant. I wonder to myself when this fan has ever seen Durant throw a shirt???

--I exchange several texts with Vanstone. Why is it we go together to High Impact Wrestling, but when the big boys come to town we are separated? Again, this is probably for the betterment of everyone. Rob and I were probably the only two men in the house wondering if we would get an appearance from "The Chief". Speaking of which, when is the next High Impact Wrestling???!!!

From wrestling to UFC 101. From staged fighting to the real stuff. I'm thinking the people of Philadelphia are not happy with Dana White's crew after a yawner of a PPV. Philly fans crave blood and there was none of it. I also saw one of the lamest knockouts ever courtesy of Anderson Silva who grazed Forrest Griffin with a punch while going backwards sending Griffin sprawling to the mat. He then ran out of the ring in shame. (RUN FORREST RUN!!). I so much wanted to see Kenny Florian kick the bejeezus out of BJ Penn, but even though Florian should have been motivated by the fact someone stole his cap on the way to ringside, it didn't materialize. If you want the whole rundown from what happened, here it is.....
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=4386577

-----
Believe it or not, your Saskatchewan Roughriders are tied for first in the West. Calgary, Edmonton and the Riders are all 3-3 after Calgary beat Winnipeg 31-23 and Hamilton knocked off Edmonton 28-21. Does that take the sting away from what happened Friday. If it did, you won't like this. The O'Neil Wilson touchdown on the fumbled Gerran Walker punt should not have counted. Apparently TSN sent this memo out to its people in Hamilton and Calgary yesterday.

Just for clarification, we should all know that the TD that O'Neil Wilson scored for BC at the end of the 1st half on the fumbled punt return was a blown call by the officials.
Jason Arakgi was 3 yards offside on the play when the ball was kicked forward by James Yurichuk.
So when Arakgi touched the ball to advance it further, that should have been a penalty.
Ball should have been awarded to Sask at the point where Aragki touched it. Not a BC touchdown by Wilson.

You know I know many believe the Riders get screwed by the officials constantly. I do laugh at some of this, but on this one, Rider fans and more importantly the football club has been screwed. Once again, Tom Higgins and Jake Ireland failed CFL fans by not overturning this call. Do Higgins and Ireland not have a rule book in front of them?? Had they fallen asleep at the CFL command center in Toronto??? Did they even review this play??? One has no idea how the season will end up, but what if that result costs the Riders a home playoff game---that is $$$$ to the organization. Would it have changed the final result...maybe, maybe not, but the bottom line here is the CFL has screwed up. There should be many people connected with the /=S=/ that should be po'ed today and with good reason. One can only imagine the chaos that would ensue had Andre Proulx been officiating this game.
I also wonder why it is why Wally Buono has carte blanche to run out on the field the way he does. I remember a few years ago in Calgary, Alex Smith was penalized for being on the field. Is this just the Wally mystique??? Wally should have been flagged when he ran on the field and got in the referee's face thus intimidating him. It seems to me Buono gets away with quite a lot.
-----
The NFL pre-season starts tonight. Its the Bills and the Titans in the Hall of Fame game. The first sighting of T-O in a Bills uniform. With the NFL network showing all the pre-season games, I may be giving my remote quite the rest over the next month.
------
Patrick Kane has been arrested in Buffalo. Read on....
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4387102
Does Kane think he is an NFL player or something.
-----
If its still up there, check out the hellacious hit Pats defenceman Colton Teubert put on some poor kid at the red/white scrimmage game in Saskatoon last night. As a Pats fan and a Canadian fan, you have to hope you see more of this from Teubert this year. WOW!!! What does he say after the game....
"It sucks for him, but hopefully he has a quick recovery," Teubert said. "We're all trying to make the team and it's an opportunity for me to show what I've got too. No spots are secure, that's how I have to play and it just happened."
-----
Tiger Woods and Padraig Harrington go head to head today in the final round of this week's stop on the PGA Tour. I'n hoping this lives up to the hype and I'm hoping its Harrington in the end. If there is anyone who can threaten Tiger right now, its the Irishman.
-----
Enjoy your Sunday!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will we just accept the fact that CFL officials are inept. This isn't the first time this has happened, it won't be the last. It is part of the game. That's the sad truth.

MK

Anonymous said...

I;ll be waiting for Teuby to lay somebody out like that wearing a pats jersey this year. He CRUSHED him.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Very disappointed with WWE. Jericho was the only real star that showed up as the other guys are all level two performers at best. I guess Maria was OK too, but not to have Mysterio, Kane, McCool and Hardy here was disappointing. I wouldn't have shelled out 50 if I had known that but its buyer beware.

Anonymous said...

Its time for Cohon to step in and ask WTF? This is twice now that we've been screwed. The Dressler non-catch at least deserved a review and now this. Why isn't Miller challenging?Does he not have a rule book? Thats complete and total BS. Wally was on the field saying your damn right that's a TD and the officials went with it.

Harrington sure shit the bed at the end didn't he. I was thinking he might actually win.

Patrick Kane beating up a cabbie---PLEASE!! Patrick Kane couldn't beat himself up.

peter dalla riva

Anonymous said...

Botched call or not, the Riders didn't deserve to win in BC.

Tyler said...

A few minor corrections:
-Mc, not Mac.
-Crossing "beams" not light sabers.
-unequivocal, not self-proclaimed.

Anonymous said...

Chris Jericho and CM Punk brought what I'd consider a quality in ring work rate. Jericho being from Winnipeg he knew he had to bring it. Thinking about this on Monday I can't say that anybody on the card made that much of an impression on me. The girls' match wasn't bad, but girl wrestling is more fodder than anything else. If the girls match stands out, then I know the card wasn't that great. I remember back in the day they had Andre, Jake Roberts, Ulimate Warrior here, and the Agridome was jam packed to the rafters. Still it was good to see some WWE action as I can't remember the last time it was here.

If there were more than 1700 people there I would be shocked. Entire sections were empty, and we moved down the the lower bowl seats. Anyway a decent way to spend a Saturday night.

Obama

Anonymous said...

There were 1,650 seats on the floor Obama, and those were all sold. There were easily 2,000 people in the upper and lower bowls. The 3,800 figure would be accurate.

Anonymous said...

Why isn't anyone talking about the unfair influence Wally Buono had on the referees decision regarding the dribble kick? Why was he allowed to run onto the field to yell and argue with the officials to get the incorrect call to go hes way without being flagged?
He is constantly chirping at the sideline officials and many times has run onto the field to argue calls yet he never gets flagged.