Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Week 8 Predictions

A 4-0 week means I'm 16-12 on the season. Only two games to talk about and both of those games are Friday night.

SASKATCHEWAN AT MONTREAL

Can the Riders actually win this one??? Well, yes they can. In this topsy-turvy season of the CFL, any team can beat any other team on any given night. There are many negatives staring the Riders right in the face. A short week, playing the CFL's best on their turf, a week off after the game which means many players will be heading home to reunite with families, playing in a stadium that has not been kind to them...etc, etc, etc. This is not a recipe for success boys and girls. A Riders win tonight and they will deserve every kudo that is thrown their way. A win tonight and maybe the criticism of both Ken Miller and Darian Durant can stop for a while. That being said, a win tonight is unlikely. I take the Riders with my heart, but my head says take Montreal and if Calvillo gets on a roll early, it could be over by halftime. Here's hoping he doesn't get on a roll.

WINNIPEG AT B.C.

I wonder how the Stefan Lefors story is resonating within the Bombers dressing room. We could find out tonight. Methinks Mike Kelly is dangerously close to losing this football team altogether after the move with their former starting quarterback. The Bombers could very well send a message to management tonight. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Take B-C and take them big.

--------
Andy Fantuz' status is certainly generating a lot of coffee talk. Is he going to sign a contract extension or not? Rider fans should know by now that the regime has changed and they aren't going to be held hostage money-wise by someone(ie: Kerry Joseph, Maurice Lloyd). I can't see the Riders breaking the bank for their talented Canadian receiver. This will all come down to Andy's desire to stay in Saskatchewan. If he wants to go home and play in southern Ontario for either the Tiger-Cats or Argonauts, he will. I'm sure Hamilton or Toronto will outbid Saskatchewan for his services if it should come down to that. If an extension has been offered as has been rumoured, he will sign it. If he doesn't, I would think it would mean there will be a lot of Rider fans who will have to get a new jersey because #83 will be gone. Fantuz is one of the top young players in this league and losing him would be tough for this team even though they have a couple of talented Canadian receivers in Chris Getzlaf and Rob Bagg. If he stays, great. If he doesn't, one can't blame him for wanting to play near home. The only question I have is if he leaves will he go from one of the more popular players to one of the more villified players. I think I already know the answer to that.
-----
Good job by Murray McCormick of the Leader-Post in silencing those or hopefully silencing those who are upset over the Rider travel plans. You can see what I'm talking about by checking out this....

http://communities.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/blogs/roughriders/archive/2009/08/20/tgit-the-montreal-edition.aspx
-------
Plaxico Burress gets two years in prison. Whatever!! By the sounds of it, he's getting a break as it could have been a lot worse. However it is interesting to note that he is getting a worse sentence than Donte Stallworth and Stallworth killed somebody!!! Its just another sign that the justice system is screwed.
-----
Usain Bolt sets another world record in the 200 metres and makes it look ridiculously easy. Should this be surprising?
------
Who do the Pats keep as their three 20 year olds. They have 5 right now--Brett Leffler, Linden Rowat, Matt Strueby, Mitch Czibere and Matt Delahey. For what its worth, I say Leffler, Strueby and Delahey. Some will argue Rowat should stay in place of perhaps Strueby because the team will be young on the back end after Delahey and Colton Teubert and he will solidify things. I understand that, but it may be time to give the goaltending reins to Damien Ketlo and Derek Tendler. Rowat could probably secure a solid blueliner in a trade. As I said, that's just my two cents.
-----
UFC fans take note. Brock Lesnar's next fight will apparently be November 21 against Shane Carwin at UFC 106.
------
Because one person couldn't make it, I was asked to be an emergency fill-in for one of the teams in the first ever "Press Box Sports Bar Golf Tournament" yesterday. The tourney went at Deer Valley. That course is one of the nicer ones in Saskatchewan and it is challenging---too challenging for this cowboy. Playing that course just frustrates the you know what out of me even when I am on a four man team. My golf ball inventory has taken a decided dip after 18 holes if you know what I mean. All in all, it was a good time though on what was a great day. I had a few people come up to me with some very kind words---words that were appreciated.
------
One last thing. I have said in the past that the NHL's annual version of the outdoors game is getting stale for me and something is needed to get me revved up about one. Its not the NHL, but the American Hockey League. The Norfolk Admirals are apparently looking at playing a game this year on get this...........the deck of an aircraft carrier. That would be so cool!!!!!!I can't see there being much of a crowd and when the puck goes over the boards, it will likely go kersploosh and be never used again, but if this happens, I'll be watching for sure.
------
Enjoy the Riders game!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You weren't very clear in your prediction. It appears like you're taking both the Riders and Als. No wonder you were 4-0 last week, or should I say 4-4.

Anonymous said...

If the Pats keep Rowat they are doomed before they begin. The guy just can't get the job done consistently. Send him out west for a couple of young guys. I hear Teuby has come back a different person--any truth to that?

It is sad that a guy who shoots himself gets more time in jail than a guy who killed someone while drinking and driving. Of course, if this was Joe Public, the time would be much more.

Miller threw cold water on the Fantuz trade story that some moron started on Riderfans. I hope he stays because he is a huge part of our future, but the allure of playing close to family and friends could be too much. How many people were at the Rider game in Toronto that were connected to him---it was over 100.That coould translate into some season tix for the Argos.

Montreal and BC win tonight and both by over two touchdowns if not three.

Chris G

Mitchell Blair said...

Let me clear it up for you Mr. Anonymous. I'm taking the Alouettes.

Anonymous said...

Deer Valley adds 10 strokes to my game. Three words must be considered when playing there. KEEP IT STRAIGHT!



Mike

Anonymous said...

I would love to see BC hammer Winnipeg tonight, but if they do, it might cost Kelly his job and I so want to rag him on Labour Day.

DT

PS: I'm a guy that shoots mid 80's at golf courses around Saskatchewan. I have never ever broken 90 at Deer Valley. I haven't played Dakota Dunes, but for my money DV is the toughest course in Sask.

Anonymous said...

I'm not the biggest Fantuz fan. I think the guy is OK, but he isn't the be all end all that the media make him out to be. If he stays, he stays, if he goes, he goes.

Mitch I agree with you on Rowat having to go. Maybe send him to Lethbridge for a 3-4 defenceman and a 2nd line winger if they can get it.

Paul