Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Is It Hockey Season Already???

There is hockey talk this morning. You know what, even though we are in the middle of the CFL season, and the NFL season is just starting with training camps with baseball in its stretch, I'm OK with that.
42 players will take the ice in Saskatoon tonight as Hockey Canada begins the process of forming the World Junior team that will look to complete a "Saskatchewan six-pack" at next year's event. The camp runs from tonight until Monday. Some of those in attendance include Regina Pats forward Jordan Eberle, teammate Colten Teubert, Saskatoon's Brayden Schenn(Brandon), and Matt Duchene who is the highest North American NHL draft pick at the camp seeing John Tavares is not coming and Victor Hedman is Swedish. Duchene went 3rd to the Avalanche if you remember. I'm guessing this will be a very intense camp. I know if I were in Saskatoon, I'd be checking this one out. Then again, I'd have to be in Saskatoon. (ITS A JOKE!!)
----
Meanwhile, Hockey Canada has named its national under 18 team that will compete at the Ivan Hlinka Tournament. Regina's Jordan Weal and Moose Jaw's Quinton Howden are on that team as is Notre Dame Hound Jaden Schwartz. I have never seen Jaden play, but I am told he could be something special one day.
-----
If there is all this hockey going on, it must mean WHL and NHL training camps are right around the corner. Judging by the weather, one wonders why the season isn't already underway. Is it really supposed to be just 13 degrees for a high on Saturday. Good god!! Then again, I see a story that says Canada could be in for a warmer than normal winter with perhaps a green Christmas(that will happen anyways when the Riders win the Grey Cup). I will gladly trade in a cool August for a mild December. I've never been one to like the 30 degree plus heat so I haven't complained like some have(talk to my wife) about the cool summer, but if it isn't 30 below or worse for a big stretch this winter, I will be happy. You will too, be honest with yourself when you answer that question.
-----
I feel a little sorry for Riders receiver Chris Getzlaf today. You know that Getzlaf had a great game Saturday and had the winning touchdown in the win over Calgary, but once again he is being overshadowed. Chris has always been referred to as Ryan's brother which I can understand. Then you look at the fact that this very talented receiver has to play behind Andy Fantuz and Jason Clermont, but when he finally gets his moment in the sun by being named the league's top Canadian, his accomplishment is pushed aside because of the Scott Schultz retirement. Its too bad there wasn't a little more attention given to this by everyone, but there is only so much time and so much print that can be given and the events of yesterday certainly were bigger. I do feel sorry for Chris though because his break-out moment that would have been heavily publicized has been pushed back to the back-burner. He'll start again this week in B.C as coach Miller has already said Fantuz won't play so Chris will just have to have a repeat performance.
------
Rod Pedersen has stirred it up on his blog this morning by repeating comments made by John Gormley about Carm Carteri. John is not the biggest Carm fan and he let that be known on his program Tuesday morning. Let me start by saying I think John Gormley is an outstanding individual, he is one of the most well-versed men and one of the classiest men I know and I think he is the best at what he does in this country. In fact, there's a wide gap between Gormley and who might be number two. He's certainly better than Charles Adler!!! Then again. most of you reading this are better than Adler as far as I'm concerned. However, I think John has gone a little too far on this one.
I have no problems with Carm, but I know there are many out there who agree with John. For what its worth, I think Carm does a good job on the Rider broadcasts. Is he TSN material??? No!! Does he think he's TSN material?? I'm guessing he doesn't. Carm brings you the game through his eyes and if those eyes have a green tinge to them then that's OK because of the audience he is delivering the game to. I wonder if John would ever consider saying or allowing people to come on and give their opinions on Wray Morrison and Drew Remenda. There are some out there who don't like the job Wray does on the sidelines at Rider games for TSN and there were many who didn't like Drew's performance on Hockey Night in Canada when he worked for them for one season. There are also many that don't care for his show either (Trust me on that one from the conversations and e-mails that I had and took when co-hosting with him. For the record, I have no problem with either although I think HNIC watered Drew down somewhat compared to his work in San Jose). I think if someone phoned up the show to openly criticize these two the way John did with Carm that they wouldn't be allowed to and would then be chastised openly by John. On this matter, I believe John should just move on to something else. In my opinion, its a cheap shot and John is a much better person than that in my mind.
-----
I can't believe this story is getting the legs it is. If you want a chuckle, read on.....

http://deadspin.com/5329581/fart+gate-officially-the-dumbest-sports-scandal-of-the-year

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getzlaf is getting hosed by everyone this week. Just go out and do it again this week Chris. At least Cuthbert didn't call him Ryan during the game. He must want to though you would think.

I'm not a Carteri fan, but I'm not a Remenda fan either. For that matter, I'm not a Gormley fan either but thats because I vote NDP.

Anonymous said...

John's opinion of Carm would change in a big hurry if he would run for the Saskparty in the next election.

Roger K

Mike from Vita said...

According to the Toronto Sports Network, Getzlaf was acknowledged as Canadian Player of the Week, while Schultz didn't even get a sniff. I guess someone thought Getzlaf was more worthy of the press time than Schultz.

Anonymous said...

Hockey Schmockey. I won't even pay attention to the NHL or WHL until the CFL season is over!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm all for a warm winter especially after what we've had for a summer if that is what you want to call it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a Wray Morrison fan, but I'm not a fan of guys on the sideline period. Wray like everyone else gives me nothing when watching the game.
As for Remenda, I'll just leave my comments on him to myself.
I'm glad to see Getzalf get some ink even if it is very little as I've been a fan of his since he played for the Thunder.
It would have been nice to have the junior camp in Regina but maybe the renos at the Brandt Centre prevented that.

JN


JN

Anonymous said...

Carm gets asked to do colour commentary of CIS games by a national tv network. Wray does colour for games on Shaw Cable.

Carm may not be everyone's cup of tea, but he carries a lot more credibility in the football world than anyone working for SnoozeTalk.

I'm just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

It was a cheap shot by Gormley. A blatant one at that. I'm not the biggest Carteri fan either, but I wouldn't stoop to that low. He wouldn't say it if he worked for the same station as Carm that's for sure. He wouldn't say anything bad about Morrison. Remenda, Nye or you when you were their either. I don't mind Wray, but I don't know why he is on the sidelines here when Lee Jones could do it seeing he is the guy around the team every day.

Darrell

Anonymous said...

Forget about Carm, we don't have to listen to him anyway (Thank God) that's what TSN is for. But W-Ray has got to go! Out of all the talented journalists out there we get stuck with Wray roaming our sidelines. I would rather see TSN contract a guy out like Matt Dominguez to do reports, who has more of an in-depth look then W-Ray.

Anonymous said...

I don't have a problem with Wray. I do admit though I stopped listening to CJME and started listening to CKRM for sports because Wray simply doesn't give the sports or isn't allowed to give it without constantly being interrupted. At least Corey Kolt gives Jamie Nye time to deliver the sports without blubbering on incessantly about something.

RG

Anonymous said...

Charles Adler is just another reason to hate Winnipeg!!! I don't have a problem with Gormley criticizing Carteri because Carm can be a little irritating at times. However, I would rather him than that idiot in Calgary and Bryan Hall.

If we are going through a cold July-August and we'll get a warm December-January, I'm OK with that. But dammit, we better get a warm Dec-Jan.

Matt

Anonymous said...

Your post was nothing more than opening up the can of worms and then closing it. I guess your just sitting on the fence Mitch. Draw the line and back it up, I don't care if you think they guy is the best in Canada at what he does. Was he right or wrong?

Where I come from it is called brown noseing.

By the way, Charles Adler is one of the highest paid media personalities in the business. Take a look at his ratings Mitch, your way off on that comment.

Gary

Mitchell Blair said...

Gary:
Perhaps you need to take a better look at the post to answer the question. In fact, here let me save you the time with a copy and paste...
------
On this matter, I believe John should just move on to something else. In my opinion, its a cheap shot and John is a much better person than that in my mind.
----
Is that a clear enough answer for you? I have stated before I have no problems with Carm or his broadcasts when I hear them. Remember that I am at home games and on road games, I often watch TSN. As for Adler, I don't give one rats#### what his cheque looks like. Is that what the benchmark is because if that's the case I'm sure some of my former co-workers deserve a lot more $$$$ than what they get. That's a pretty weak argument!

Anonymous said...

My benchmark on Adler is RATINGS Mitch, simply put he is NUMBER #1 in Canada. If the BIG BOYS out east agreed with your comment about John Gromley then he too would have a NATIONAL AUDIENCE. It is all about ratings Mitch. End of argument.

If all your cronies are as you say, "THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS", you would be left with nobody to walk the sidelines with.

Gary