Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Week 2 Predictions

Its time for another week of CFL football begin. Here's hoping the eight teams worked out the kinks they had in Week 1 and that play isn't as sloppy as it was in Week 1. Don't get me wrong, it was still enjoyable to watch(first half of Edm-Wpg excluded) but hopefully everyone is more in sync.
By the way, for those who care, I was 2-2 in Week 1. Did I really take Hamilton??? SIGHHHHH!!!

EDMONTON AT MONTREAL

Richie Hall got a win in his coaching debut last week thanks to his "icing the kicker" move, but Hall will not have that Ken Miller like success when it comes to consecutive wins to start a CFL head coaching career. Without Jesse Lumsden, the Eskimos are once again basically a one-dimensional team. They need to establish a running game to keep Montreal's defence on its toes. Meanwhile, the Alouettes probably looked the best out of any team last week as they walked into Calgary and beat the Stamps. I think Montreal wins this one tonight going away.

CALGARY AT WINNIPEG

The Grey Cup champs had some of their swagger knocked off by the Alouettes in the season-opener. I don't think you can accuse Calgary of complacency though. They just got off to a bad start and they had a bad finish. As for Winnipeg, well, as I've said before, I think this is going to be a long year for the Bombers. Milt Stegall gets inducted into the Bombers Hall of Fame so there's some motivation there I guess. Once again though, I don't expect this one to be close in the 4th quarter. Take Calgary and take them big.

HAMILTON AT BC

I don't know why, but the CFL really allows the Lions to have a homefield advantage by continuing to allow them to play at night---especially against Eastern teams. The game kicks off at what 1030 Eastern time meaning it ends at about 2 AM Saturday morning for them. Why doesn't the CFL schedule home games for the Lions on weekend afternoons. I can't remember when the last BC game at home was on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Is this a matter of David Braley putting his weight on the schedule-maker. An Eastern team hasn't won in BC since 2004. Yes, its the lowly Ti-Cats, but like Hockey Night in Canada, the tradition continues. Go with the Lions and yes, once again this could be a one-sided football game.

SASKATCHEWAN AT TORONTO

You can't sugar-coat the fact that the Rider offence while it had its moments in the win over BC didn't appear to be on the same page. The same couldn't be said for the defence who were lights out and silenced Gary Etcheverry critics---at least for a few days. I expect another week of reps has helped Darian Durant and the offence as they work some wrinkles out, however, the inexperienced offensive line will be tested by a Toronto defence that had six sacks. Toronto may not have Arland Bruce III in the lineup because he is battling a case of the hemorrhoids. His coach Bart Andrus says he has two grape-size inflammations on his butt. OWWWWWW!!!! Let me repeat myself....OWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Its too bad Bruce isn't playing. I was waiting to see if he would score a touchdown and then put on a blonde wig and red bathing suit to pay tribute to Farrah Fawcett or put on a fedora and smoke a cigar to pay tribute to Karl Malden. I will take the Riders to win this one----and if I was voting on my poll which you can find upper right of this blog. I would take them to win by 10 or more.

If you want a message from Darian Durant, check out http://www.dariandurant.com/doubledtv.html. I'm guessing Jeff Armstead has his hands in the creation of this somehow. Good job Jeff!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If any game is decided by 10 or less this weekend I will be surprised. Mtl, Cgy, BC and Sask all winning.



LD