Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Wait Till MacLeans Hears About This

I can see the idiots at Canada's national newsmagazine salivating at their keyboards already. Regina had the highest crime rate in Canada in 2008. Oh my god!! Lock the doors and load the shotguns. I'm not going to sit here and say Regina doesn't have a crime problem because the numbers obviously suggest we do, even though the crime rate for the city is at the lowest its been in decades. However, I feel relatively safe when I go out at night---as long as I am not in certain areas of the city, and when I read newspapers from other major Canadian cities, I don't see the problem here that they have in other places. Its not a flattering stat to have, but I and many others realize that stat is nothing but a load of crap.
-----
So how did Graham Harrell look on day one of his professional career? It sounds like a lot of Rider fans made their way to the stadium on Tuesday to look at the new Rider quarterback. As expected, he didn't see a lot of reps, but he did have a couple. He told media after “The biggest difference is when you look down the line there aren’t any receivers,’I have to look behind me to find them. Welcome to Canada kid and don't forget about the 12th man on defence either. He has fooled some hotshot American QB's in the past(see Vince Ferragamo). I'll get a look at him later today.
------
If you read Tuesday's Leader-Post, you saw a great report from Ian Hamilton on former Montreal Alouette Tony Proudfoot. Tony is battling ALS and he's not letting it get the best of him. Tony is an inspiration to all who meet him. On Grey Cup morning last year in Montreal, the Football Reporters of Canada had a breakfast where Tony was honoured. He delivered a very emotional speech at that breakfast with the help of a machine that translates his thoughts. There were many misty eyes in the room when Tony was done. Anyone having had an opportunity to meet Tony has come away a better man. Those who know Tony know what I'm talking about. It will be a sad day when ALS finally does win its battle against Tony. If you didn't see the article, here it is....
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Tony+Proudfoot+showing+true+mark+champion/1810591/story.html

------
Speaking of the L-P, kudos to my good friend Rob Vanstone. He is doing a series on the 89 Grey Cup champs. Of course they are holding a 20 year reunion this weekend. Shameless plug coming up....http://www.riderville.com/article/remembering-1989

As many of you know, Rob has a book coming out shortly on the 1966 Riders. Rob allowed to me to have a sneak preview of the book and it is a great read. I encourage all of you who read this to make sure you buy a copy of that book. Rob is also working feverishly on a book profiling the 89 Riders and the many low years that preceded that. That book is a ways off from being at your local bookstore, but once again if Rob's name is attached to it, it will be a great read.
----
One guy who sadly will not be here this weekend is Dave Ridgway. There is a lot of concern about Dave these days and the Globe's Al Maki tried to get to the bottom of things with this article.....
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/ridgway-dismisses-fears-about-his-wellbeing/article1226555/
Back in the good old days at CJME when Dale Isaac was there, I had a chance to work with Dave and we became good friends. There are many, many stories I could tell about Robokicker. One of them might be my all time favourite story from radio, but to protect the innocent I won't reveal the details. When Dave was put into the Plaza of Honor in 2000, the team held a little wine and cheese function at the stadium for a handful of people that were invited by the inductees that year. I was shocked and taken aback when Dave invited me to that function, but its something I'll never forget. To be in the inner circle of someone like Ridge's for just one night was quite surreal. When I first heard of the reunion, my first thought was about seeing Dave and hassling him about Lui Passaglia being the greatest kicker in the history of the CFL. That obviously isn't going to happen.
I know Dave's good friend Terry McEvoy reads this blog from time to time from his Minneapolis home. Terry if you are reading this, please send my best to Dave and tell him he will be missed this weekend not just by me, but by many fans---fans that he pleased here and across this nation for many, many years.
------
Someone else who will be here this weekend is Richie Hall. It will be his first time coming to the stadium as a member of the opposition, but he will have the /=S=/ firmly on his mind when he takes part in the reunion festivities. Here are his thoughts....
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/cobwebs+memories+Grey/1811585/story.html
------
A Walmart Supercentre is coming to Regina. Just another positive economic sign for the city and the province. (Hey MacLeans, are you taking note of that!!)Its going to go in what will soon be a thriving southwest part of the city. Here's hoping it will be a lot easier to get around over there than it is in the east end.
------

3 comments:

Mike from Vita said...

How many of us would feel comfortable returning to the city where our ex-spouse lives? Ridgway's post football life has not been great, and we remember the challenges he had with Michelle Englot. I wouldn't want to come back and see my ex again, no matter the reason.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what has happened to Ridgway, but he seems to just want to forget about his time here in Regina. I don't know if Michelle has something to do with that or not. He has been back before since his divorce so I think that would not be the case.

You talk about Dale Isaac and I agree with you that it was the good old days. No disrespect to you or the other guys in this town, but there was NO ONE like Dale. He was in a league all of his own and once he left CJME, it left a great big void. I stopped listening to morning sports years ago because Ray Morrison simply bores me and Dave Arnold would just keep interrupting him making it sound very amateurish. Perhaps that is what your old management wanted, I don't know. Dale was oldschool. He gave you the information in clear and concise fashion without trying to be the star of the show. Don't get me wrong, I realize you have to be part entertainer now, but Dale was the best and the gap between him and everyone else was a wide one.

Ron

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron......I echo your thoughts on Dale Isaac. I would get 10 times the information from him instead of what I get now. Maybe its one of the reasons he decided to leave. CJME seems to not want to keep good sports guys and keep the bad ones.

Brian Donovan