Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Slowest Day In Sports

Its the one day when the lights in all professional arenas are dark. Nothing was going on today. What a perfect day for Mr. Media Whore Brett Favre to make a statement. Favre saying he will decide July 30 if he is going to play for the Vikings. Order the jerseys now folks. Brett just wants to have that spotlight on himself for a couple of more weeks before it gets turned on fulltime when he says he is going to be a member of the Vikings. I really hope Green Bay just kicks the you know what out of them both times they play this year just so that he will shut up and go away. I'm tired of Favre and his act. I know I'm not the only one.
-------
Maybe the Vikings should have gone out and get a young guy---a guy like Texas Tech's Graham Harrell. Oh wait, they can't because he's now a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. This signing really intrigues me. It intrigues me for the fact that I wonder how a guy who has the credentials and resume that Harrell has isn't currently with an NFL team. How did he not get drafted??? What is it about his game that the NFL does not like??? This guy was considered by some to be the best quarterback in the NC double A last year. In fact, on the day his agent announces the signing, Harrell is in L-A where he is nominated for an ESPY award as college football's best player(he lost to Florida's Tim Tebow by the way). I'm guessing his signing will mean the Riders get some American exposure over the next couple of days. The question once he gets here is what do the Riders have planned for him when it comes to his role with the team. I can't see him on the field this year as he gets used to the Canadian game, but when he does, if he does, what does it mean for the current guys especially Darian Durant. I also have to think Harrell still has NFL aspirations so can the Riders keep him around long enough for him to make an impact. I guess we'll start finding out the answers to those questions soon. Does this mean I should hold off on ordering that Bergquist jersey???
-------
Twins first baseman(and good Canadian boy) Justin Morneau is a little pissed today and really I don't blame him. Morneau did not like the fact that O'Canada was a taped piece before Tuesday's all-star game with Sheryl Crow then singing "The Star Spangled Banner". Morneau wondering aloud why Major League Baseball didn't get a Canadian act to sing our anthem. I agree. You can't tell me that all the Canadian bands and acts that have made it big in the US couldn't have been recruited to be in St. Louis Saturday night. It is a slap in the face if you ask me. I'd like to know what fellow Canadian Jason Bay thought about this. I know we are touchy about our anthem here and when the Stanley Cup playoffs hit, there is always some furore when Canadian hockey fans boo the Star Spangled Banner, but really, having no Canadian act perform the song was a joke. Thumbs up to Morneau for letting his feelings be known. Then again, we might have gotten this.....


I still chuckle when I hear that. Here's the way to sing O'Canada....



------
I'm sort of amused over the "spygate" scandal that has erupted in the CFL. I didn't have a problem with Bill Belichick doing what he did a couple of years ago and I don't really have a problem with this. The only problem I have is with Bombers coach Mike Kelly trying to avoid the issue. When Don Matthews got caught, he admitted it and said if you aren't cheating, you aren't trying. Kelly tries to absolve himself and the club of all blame saying the guy in question didn't have the club's permission. Here's an idea for the Bombers. If that statement is true, fire this guy. He made your organization look bad so take the steps to correct it and tell him his services are no longer needed. I still don't think Kelly makes it to Labour Day and if he does, he just might snap after the treatment I'm sure the East siders will give him. I know Ryan Whippler and Sheri Trapp will never allow it, but I would love to sit behind the visitors bench for one game just to hear the abuse that gets rained down on them. If it ever does happen, I'll be the guy wearing the Rider helmet.
-----
Why would the Detroit Lions have this on their website??
Who would want to relive that season????
-----
The Boston Pizza "Trip a Day' ad had to be ordered with extra cheese!!!!!
-----
Have a good Thursday!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Harrell shows he can play this game, I am very interested in seeing what the Riders do with him. There's no doubt he wants to succeed here and then get swallowed up by the NFL. Looking at what he did in college and watching him last year, he has all the tools to be a great one, but he wouldn't be the first big name US college quarterback to come up here and fail.
I hope this isn't a one and done scenario for Durant and that if we see Harrell its not until 2011. Then again as we have seen, a guy can win a GC one year and be traded weeks after.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Kelly gets 2 year minimum to coach unless he pulls a Ticat record out of his butt. If you watch/see the way the team rallies around him you'd realize that all the media crap you here is complete BS. The dude has a team willing to go to war for him every week. Bombers will be a huge surprise story this year.