Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Must Be Getting Old

Could it be?? Has the time come where I have to admit I'm getting old. I have to wonder when I come to the realization that the fair no longer excites me, in fact, I'm bored with it. Don't get me wrong, its still a fine event, but I've gotten to the point now that its for the kids and not for me.

Thursday was spent travailing the grounds of Evraz Place with my six year old in tow---her eyes wide with delight as she experiences everything the exhibition brings. She had her day-tripper, she did her rides, she got her prizes, she had her tummy get full--well not really, because she didn't want a lot of food which is strange but bottom line was despite the tears for not winning a certain stuffed animal of choice she was happy at nights end. As for Mom, the mother-in-law and myself and maybe even the older sister who had her day earlier this week so she could ride the rides without being interrupted it was "Is it time to go home yet?"

I'm not a rides guy, never have been. I have gone to the fair to walk the midway, play games of chance, people watch, laugh at some of the people I'm watching, eat some food and call it a night. The wife was the same way. We even got engaged after a night at the exhibition, now its just a case of two tired people with very sore feet.

Maybe I need to go without kids in tow, but I really don't think it would have changed anything. Yeah, maybe I would have seen a couple of things that I didn't get a chance to see, but would it have sparked my excitement?? Doubt it! As I said, this isn't a condemnation of the exhibition because there is still something to see and do for all ages, but this cowboy is thinking right now that he wouldn't miss it if he didn't go next year. Next year is a long ways away though. If there is one thing that I would highly endorse, it is those footsie-wootsie chairs or whatever they are called. You put a quarter in and get about a 2 minute foot massage to relieve those tired feet as you walk down the midway. Best 25 cents ever spent!!!! I highly recommend this. You will see what I mean.
-----
The Alouettes have gone down to defeat. By the time I started watching the game, it was early in the 4th quarter, but it looked like the Eskimos had control throughout and did a great job of stifling that potent Montreal offence as they win 33-19. I didn't see that one coming, but Edmonton has definitely gotten their game back on track after that comeback last week.
------
So now David Ortiz is linked with steroids. Does this surprise baseball fans?? The only question I have is why are the names on this list being slowly leaked. Just release the entire list and get it over with. I think baseball fans are just numb to this now and they don't really care. I heard a great discussion on Fox Sports Radio asking if steroids are any worse than other sports like swimming where the suit brings controversy or in golf where this piece of equipment will make you hit the ball farther---a ball that will either do this or do that. It asks the question "Is an athlete winning because of his talent or because of the equipment he surrounds himself with??"
I wonder what would happen if they played the PGA Championship with all competitors using the same ball and the same type of clubs. Would it change things?? Would the best pure golfer skill-wise still win?? It will never happen so there's no use talking about it but it would be interesting.
------
You won't be seeing this ad on CFL broadcasts anytime soon or on any Canadian or American channel, but tell me the truth, you would rather see this than Wrapman, Vince and his Slapchop or that Minhas Creek beer ad where buddy is yelling "Damn Good Beer".


-----
-----
Have a good Friday and if you're going to the Exhibition. Enjoy it!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came to the same realization as you a couple of years ago. 10-20 years ago, we went to enjoy ourselves, but now we just go for our kids. I didn't even get into the beer garden this year but god knows I wanted to.

While my wife and I would love to just go by ourselves for a couple of hours, its not worth the price of admission. Perhaps they should have advanve gate passes that can be used on more than one day.

Jody