Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Hate Tony Gabriel!!!

That shouldn't come as a surprise to those that know me, but my dislike for the man came back Tuesday night. ESPN Classic showed the 1976 Grey Cup so I watched it. Why?? I don't know. Was it part of a tripleheader involving Super Bowl 40 and Game 6 of the 2003 National League championship series----otherwise known as the Steve Bartman game? No it wasn't. I don't know why I sat down to watch it, but I did. I forgot just how much of a pain in the ass Gabriel was to the Riders on that afternoon.
Not only did he catch the pass that lives in Rider infamy, but he caught seven passes in total that afternoon for 124 yards. I had forgotten about some of the other catches. I had also forgotten about Gerry Organ's fake punt that he ran for 41 yards to keep a drive alive. When you consider Gabriel caught three passes in the drive leading to the Ian Sunter field goal in 72 that gave Hamilton the CFL championship and what he did in 76, there is no doubt in my mind that its Gabriel and not Henry Burris who should be the most despised Rider of all.
-----
Dany Heatley will not be coming to Edmonton. It looked like he would be going there with Cogliano, Penner and Smid heading to Ottawa. I can't say I'm that disgusted with this. Cogliano needs to stay in Edmonton silks and I think Penner can get his game going under Pat Quinn. Might the Oil be involved in the Hossa sweepstakes now???? How about Khabibulin???
------
The Flames have signed Jay Bouwmeester to a new contract. How can Calgary afford both Bouwmeester and Dion Phaneuf?? I guess we'll find out soon if they can. Maybe Robyn Regehr gets moved, but one of those big salaries has to go. There is no chance Calgary will keep Camalleri now.
------
Is the Vinnie to the Habs deal now officially dead??? One would think so now that Montreal has Scott Gomez. I'm thinking Hab fans are not liking this move.
-------
What will July 1 bring when it comes to NHL free agency. Where will Hossa end up??? Where will the Sedins end up??? Where will Saku Koivu end up?? Are there any more trades happening??? It could be an interesting day.
--------
I'm guessing there are many of you that will head to Wascana Park today and then get home in time to watch the CFL doubleheader. The new season begins tonight. I'll be honest with you---the Toronto-Hamilton game doesn't excite me. I will watch the Calgary-Montreal game. I'd like to see the Alouettes knock the cocky Stamps off, but I don't think it will happen.
-----
WHL news. Its now official. Rich Preston is now the coach and GM of the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Rich is too good of a hockey man to stay in the WHL. I think the NHL will be calling for him in a couple of years. I wonder if he would have come back to Regina had Curtis Hunt decided to remain in the Senators organization. We will probably never know the answer to that question. Good luck Rich!!!!
------
BLOGGER NOTE: Brian, thanks for the message yesterday informing me of the enormous faux pas on yesterday's submission. Thanks!!!!!

Thats all I got for now. Have a good Canada Day.

No comments: