Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

C'mon TSN!

So I'm catching the late night edition of Sportscentre and Dan O'Toole gives us a story on what NHL'er should get the no guts, no glory award. Basically its an award for someone in the playoffs who showed he was one tough s-o-b by continuing to play when hurt. The winner was Chicago's Matt Walker. He blocked a shot with his hand during the Calgary series leaving his finger a mangled mess. He came back out after missing a couple of series and continued to play. OK, Walker is tough. There's no denying that, however how TSN could ignore what Nick Lidstrom did is beyond amazing. Let me just refresh you.
Lidstrom missed Game 5 and Game 6 of the Western Conference final, but it was only revealed after the playoffs were over why Lidstrom missed those games. It seems Nick was speared in the berries by Patrick Sharp of the Hawks and had to have testicular surgery. Lidstrom practiced the day after the incident and before he underwent surgery. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!! He was also back at 100 percent for the Stanley Cup finals.
I don't know about you, but if my boys get injured to the point that surgery is required, I am not coming back anytime soon if you get my drift.
So I ask you, what was tougher during these playoffs. Matt Walker breaking a finger or Nick Lidstrom getting back into the lineup after missing two games to undergo testicular surgery. I would rather break a finger any day.
I don't know who came up with the idea of Walker winning, but whoever it was maybe needs a stick in the you know where to wake up.
------
Mike Weir is on the leaderboard of the US Open. Really?? The Canadian lefty led the Open for much of the day before faltering a little before shutting things down for the day as they continue to catch up at Bethpage Black after Thursday's rainout. Can Weir keep it going??? I highly doubt it as he has flirted with the top of the leaderboard in the past before fading away on the weekend. I guess we'll find out as I'm sure NBC will stay with Weir as long as he is in contention. Of course if Mike is shooting at the same time Tiger is doing anything we will see Tiger first.
------
I received an e-mail from a Rider fan on Thursday who wasn't happy with the performance of the team in Edmonton---especially from the quarterbacks. He asked if this will change the team's mind on Ryan Dinwiddie. The answer---NO!!! If Dinwiddie is so good, why hasn't he resurfaced elsewhere by now. Answer me that please Dinwiddie fans. Thank you!!!
--------
Sadness at High Impact Wrestling. It was revealed at last night's monthly dose of culture as Vanstone and I would like to call it that the German Club will no longer be the host venue. Who will step up and when will the next card be? Here's hoping its soon because it is a highly entertaining three hours. Its not WWE calibre style wrasslin and there are some interesting personalities in the stands, but it does make for some good yuks. Both Rob and I hoped there could be one more show at the old Exhibition Auditorium--the home of Stampede Wrestling back in the 80's, but it appears as if the building is nowhere close to having one last show before it is consumed by the wrecking ball as the renovations continue at Evraz Place. Its too bad because that place would be packed if there was one more card there. I absolutely loved going to the Auditorium in the 80's for Stampede seeing guys like Bret Hart, the Dynamite Kid and Davey Boy Smith before they headed to the big-time. There were many great nights spent inside that decrepit old place.
-------
Was it really a week ago that the Penguins won the Stanley Cup????

4 comments:

Portuguese Sensation said...

I've never been to HIW but Indy Wrestling is a great bang for your buck for all wrestling fans.

There's a group out of Edmonton called PWA - Prairie Wrestling Alliance, and they've had a number of their guys end up in the WWE. From TJ Wilson (Tyson Kidd) to Harry Smith, and now a few of them have received developmental deals from the dub - Randy Meyers the most recent.

They also tend to fly in guys from TNA - Samoa Joe, Mick Foley, AJ Styles just to name a few.

I'll admit I'm a bit biased since I know all the wrestlers and management guys at PWA but hopefully they can make it out to Sask and you'd love it!

Mike from Vita said...

After listening to the exhibition game, I wonder why the Riders didn't ask for Jared Zabransky, instead of Juan Joseph, for Kitwana?

Anonymous said...

Weir always gets near the top, then slips away. It is not a surprise to see him there.

Chad

Anonymous said...

Stampede Wrestling on Tuesdays at the Auditorium was the week's biggest highlight. Bad News Allen, Rotten Ron Starr, the Singhs, the Harts, JR Foley. I love the WWE, but that shit was pure gold. I wish I would have known you back then.

TK